Upgrading SBS 2000 to Win 2000 Server

Post by TSPar » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:07:18

Hello,
     Fresh install of SBS and working fine. Upgraded
system to Win 2000 Server in order to establish trusts.
Everything running great but Exchange Server 2000 can no
longer send or receive E-mail.....any insights?

Thanks, Tom.

Upgrading SBS 2000 to Win 2000 Server

Post by Susan Bradley, CPA aka » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:39:22

 The limitation of the SBS box is as follows:

50 computers [but not necessarily 50 users - note there's one person out
here with 225 users on an SBS system]
No trusts.  Period.

The Exchange server that comes with the SBS has to co-exist with the SBS
version of Windows 2000 server on a SBS box.  You now have a plain
Windows 2000 server.

-------------------------------
Server Optimizations The Small Business Server 2000 component server
applications are not limited in any way compared with the stand-alone
versions other than the fact that the applications can be installed only
on a Small Business Server 2000based computer. Limits or optimizations
imposed on Small Business Server are based on the following Windows 2000
Server optimizations:     Small Business Server must be set up as the
root domain controller of a Microsoft Active Directory? forest. This
prevents Small Business Server from serving as the branch office or
divisional server of a larger organization with an existing Active
Directory or Microsoft Windows NT? 4.x based domain infrastructure.
Similar to Small Business Server 4.5, there is a maximum of 50
workstations that can be connected to a Small Business Server 2000based
network. This also limits the number of workstations that can access any
of the component server applications.   Trusts with other Active
Directory forests are not allowed. Similar to Small Business Server 4.5,
a user will not be able to set up an explicit (e.g., Windows NT 4.x
style) trust with another domain. This optimization does not allow the
Small Business Server Exchange Server to connect to Exchange-based
servers outside the Small Business Server 2000 domain.   Client Access
Licenses (CALs) are enforced through bump-pack disks that must be
purchased separately. The License Manager Control Panel applet is not
included in Small Business Server 2000.

> Hello,
>      Fresh install of SBS and working fine. Upgraded
> system to Win 2000 Server in order to establish trusts.
> Everything running great but Exchange Server 2000 can no
> longer send or receive E-mail.....any insights?

> Thanks, Tom.

1. Win 2000 Server & SQL 2000 Server vs. SBS 2000

Hello,

I have very limited knowledge of SBS.  We are rolling out a new product line
to our customer base.  This will involve migrating from Novell to Win 2000
Server/SQL 2000 Server OR SBS 2000.  90% of our customers will not have more
than 20 users or more than 1 server.  We do not want to configure or support
any additional modules/servers (Exchange, IIS, etc.).  The only reason I
know of that we are considering SBS 2000 is price.

What are the pros/cons of each of these?

Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

TIA

2. Multi-session CDR, anybody *really* doing it?

3. Microsoft Offce 2000 apps won't start after upgrading to SBS 2000

4. Psion7 - Printer drivers?

5. Problems running Terminal Server with Win 2000 server and SBS 2000

6. Psiwin

7. Inplace Upgrade Win SBS 4.5 -> Win SBS 2000

8. WTB : HP AC ADAPTER

9. Upgrade to Windows 2000 (NOT SBS 2000) Server from SBS 4.5

10. SBS 2003 won't upgrade from SBS 2000 because of invalid SQL server

11. Win 2000 to Win 2000 Advanced Server

12. Migrate from SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 server + Exchange 2000 (NOT SBS 2000).

13. Add Win 2000 server to an existing SBS 2000 environment