Other useful newsgroups?

Post by Simon Colebroo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi

Are there any other newsgroups on msnews that the readers can recommend for
SBS admins?

Simon

Other useful newsgroups?

Post by Mal Osborn » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

If you have a difficult problem that fits well within a MS component of SBS,
then try that newsgroup, as well as this one. (but don't go too wild with
the crossposts) For example, if you are having problems with Exchange, try
microsoft.public.exchange, with Proxy try microsoft.public.proxy.  IMHO this
newsgroup is good for most "routine" problems that you are likly to run into
with SBS, and there is some good "best practice" stuff here as well.

--
Mal Osborne
MCSE Mensa

Quote:> Hi

> Are there any other newsgroups on msnews that the readers can recommend
for
> SBS admins?

> Simon

Other useful newsgroups?

Post by Jeff Middleton [SBS-MVP » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I would recommend that if you have the opportunity to obtain a trial or
working version of W2K Server, you install it and start looking into the
Active Directory Services and the Terminal Services.  With that in mind, I
would then suggest you start playing with those and look at the Win2000
groups on those various subjects.  This is all a primer to where SBS is
going, but I would further add that I can understand that many SBS
administrators might well feel more comfortable learning more about the
current version of SBS rather than taking on more aggressive concepts like
yet another upgrade scenario in the near future.

If you are interested in only staying on the NT4 platform for more
information, the Outlook groups do have some really interesting stuff that
goes on with subjects that don't always come up here.

Overall, Mal is correct that this group is remarkably more diverse than just
about any other that is hosted by MS. You will learn more here about
networking, clients, servers, hardware and software than in just about any
other public MS group....it's just that good. Part of it is due to this
group being aimed at a technical level of expertise that tends to be
consistent with a level of understanding that most SBS sites and
Administrators can comprehend.  I occasionally like to drop in on the
"microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.routing" group just so I can be
reminded that John R. Buchan knows more about TCP/IP and routing than I
every expect to learn.  Some of that discussion gets pretty geeky, but it's
hot if you like to dig into those issues.

> If you have a difficult problem that fits well within a MS component of
SBS,
> then try that newsgroup, as well as this one. (but don't go too wild with
> the crossposts) For example, if you are having problems with Exchange, try
> microsoft.public.exchange, with Proxy try microsoft.public.proxy.  IMHO
this
> newsgroup is good for most "routine" problems that you are likly to run
into
> with SBS, and there is some good "best practice" stuff here as well.

> --
> Mal Osborne
> MCSE Mensa

> > Hi

> > Are there any other newsgroups on msnews that the readers can recommend
> for
> > SBS admins?

> > Simon

1. HP bug ? (useful info for others also)

I have found a peculiar problem with HPUX tcp. if I change the readraw size in
client.c to 16384 (I have apps that use readraws of that size) i can get
from an hp 750 to a dec 5000-260 the INCREDIBLE speed of 160k/sec on large
reads. (wow am i impressed :-)
i find that if i add:

#include <netinet/tcp.h>
.
.
.
        sockopt = 1;
        setsockopt(s, 6, TCP_NODELAY, (char *)&sockopt, sizeof(int));
/* note 6 is from getprotobyname("tcp") (/etc/protocols) */

the speed goes to a more respectable 976k/sec with a load of 1 on both machines.
(note: ethernet)

this option prevents collecting 'small' amounts of data into a single packet
when there is data outstanding. I cant EVER see a use for this in a server so
I think it might be useful for other platforms also. I also cant see why it is
doing this given the present circumstances.

note (also doesnt hurt (hp sepcific option))
#ifdef HPUX
        sockopt = 40960;
        setsockopt(s, SOL_SOCKET, SO_SNDBUF, (char*)&sockopt, sizeof(int))
        setsockopt(s, SOL_SOCKET, SO_RCVBUF, (char*)&sockopt, sizeof(int))
#endif

mike hench

2. History in Win2K

3. Useful Files for download

4. Disk Controller Jumpers

5. Any useful SBS websites?

6. Win '95 OSR2 CD, $ 35, With Fat 32

7. A couple of (what I have found to be) useful pieces of software

8. FW: Hello

9. *ANYTHING* useful that can help me chose a Server Software...

10. Very useful: a SP/hotfix checking tool for entire networks

11. useful link

12. Very useful: a SP/hotfix checking tool for entire networks

13. MS 1-day training on SBS is useful