boot.ini problem

Post by Craig Knaue » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 02:59:45

We added a drive to our server and now the Windows 2000 boot loader is
acting funny. The boot loader shows the following values:

"Microsoft Windows 2000 Server"
"Windows (Default)"

I'm not sure where the "Windows (Default)" is coming from or how to get rid
of it (it is not bootable either and doesn't show up in the GUI interface in
Startup and Recovery in W2K). The default should be "Microsoft Windows 2000
Server".

The boot.ini looks like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Server"
/fastdetect

Here are some details about our server:
Drive Configurations:
DELL PERC 2/Si RAID Controller
3 x 18GB (RAID 5) (DISK 0)
1 x 9GB (Single Drive) (DISK 1)

Thanks for your help.

Craig Knauer

boot.ini problem

Post by Jeff Middleton [SBS-MVP » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:40:24

I'm probably just too tired, but are you saying that you can no longer boot
the server?

Could you just remove the recently installed hard disk to make the server
boot properly again?

What is the error/BSOD message?

Are both the RAID set and the single connected to the Perc controller, or on
different SCSI controllers?

The answer if you can't boot on any condition, is to create a new boot disk
from another NT/W2K machine, adjust the Boot.ini to include similar entries
as what you have indicated below.

Quote:> We added a drive to our server and now the Windows 2000 boot loader is
> acting funny. The boot loader shows the following values:

> "Microsoft Windows 2000 Server"
> "Windows (Default)"

> I'm not sure where the "Windows (Default)" is coming from or how to get
rid
> of it (it is not bootable either and doesn't show up in the GUI interface
in
> Startup and Recovery in W2K). The default should be "Microsoft Windows
2000
> Server".

> The boot.ini looks like this:

> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Server"
> /fastdetect

> Here are some details about our server:
> Drive Configurations:
> DELL PERC 2/Si RAID Controller
> 3 x 18GB (RAID 5) (DISK 0)
> 1 x 9GB (Single Drive) (DISK 1)

> Thanks for your help.

> Craig Knauer

boot.ini problem

Post by Craig C.B. Knaue » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:02:36

Thanks, Jeff.

The server is still bootable if I select "Microsoft Windows 2000 Server".
However, the default is simply called "Windows (Default)" and this selection
results in (I think) a "NTOSKERNEL not found" error.  This is a problem if
the server needs to be rebooted remotely or if it shuts down because of a
power failure.

Both drives are on the same controller.

I will be able to test a few things on Thursday when I am on-site where the
server is located.  The first thing I will do is remove the new drive to see
if that resolves the issue.  I noticed that the new drive has a 32MB utility
partition on it (Dell partition perhaps).  I will try to remove that to see
if that helps.

I'll post a follow up on Thursday, but please keep the suggestions coming.

Craig

> I'm probably just too tired, but are you saying that you can no longer
boot
> the server?

> Could you just remove the recently installed hard disk to make the server
> boot properly again?

> What is the error/BSOD message?

> Are both the RAID set and the single connected to the Perc controller, or
on
> different SCSI controllers?

> The answer if you can't boot on any condition, is to create a new boot
disk
> from another NT/W2K machine, adjust the Boot.ini to include similar
entries
> as what you have indicated below.

> > We added a drive to our server and now the Windows 2000 boot loader is
> > acting funny. The boot loader shows the following values:

> > "Microsoft Windows 2000 Server"
> > "Windows (Default)"

> > I'm not sure where the "Windows (Default)" is coming from or how to get
> rid
> > of it (it is not bootable either and doesn't show up in the GUI
interface
> in
> > Startup and Recovery in W2K). The default should be "Microsoft Windows
> 2000
> > Server".

> > The boot.ini looks like this:

> > [boot loader]
> > timeout=30
> > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
> > [operating systems]
> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
Server"
> > /fastdetect

> > Here are some details about our server:
> > Drive Configurations:
> > DELL PERC 2/Si RAID Controller
> > 3 x 18GB (RAID 5) (DISK 0)
> > 1 x 9GB (Single Drive) (DISK 1)

> > Thanks for your help.

> > Craig Knauer

boot.ini problem

Post by Jeff Middleton [SBS-MVP » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:13:37

If you can still boot the thing, the get it running normally, create a boot
floppy by copying the files from the server, including the boot.ini. Then
edit the boot.ini files on the boot floppy to remove the entire line that
says Default, then retype it to include exactly what the line that correctly
boots says. Once it works to boot from the floppy, then copy the boot.ini
back to the SBS boot drive.

> [...]

> > > acting funny. The boot loader shows the following values:

> > > "Microsoft Windows 2000 Server"
> > > "Windows (Default)"

> > > I'm not sure where the "Windows (Default)" is coming from or how to
get
> > rid
> > > of it (it is not bootable either and doesn't show up in the GUI
> interface
> > in
> > > Startup and Recovery in W2K). The default should be "Microsoft Windows
> > 2000
> > > Server".

> > > The boot.ini looks like this:

> > > [boot loader]
> > > timeout=30
> > > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
> > > [operating systems]
> > > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000

boot.ini problem

Post by Dave Stoecke » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 04:14:01

You might boot the Recovery Console and run the MAP command to verify what
the system is really seeing as the arc paths.  Apparently there is some
disagreement in there somewhere.  I can't guess at why the boot loader is
showing something which doesn't exist in the boot.ini file.  I would also
look in that utility partition to see what is in there - maybe some clues?

dave

> [...]

> > > acting funny. The boot loader shows the following values:

> > > "Microsoft Windows 2000 Server"
> > > "Windows (Default)"

> > > I'm not sure where the "Windows (Default)" is coming from or how to
get
> > rid
> > > of it (it is not bootable either and doesn't show up in the GUI
> interface
> > in
> > > Startup and Recovery in W2K). The default should be "Microsoft Windows
> > 2000
> > > Server".

> > > The boot.ini looks like this:

> > > [boot loader]
> > > timeout=30
> > > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
> > > [operating systems]
> > > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000

boot.ini problem

Post by Jeff Middleton [SBS-MVP » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 04:58:44

Well, probably not cause the boot.ini doesn't read the partition table to
display that information on screen, that all comes as text from the
boot.ini. Therefore, if there's something wacky showing on screen, it's more
likely a non-displayed  (non-ASCII) character in the boot.ini file which is
supposed to be just plain text.

I've seen cases that selectively deleting several lines and retyping them
clears up this sort of thing.

> You might boot the Recovery Console and run the MAP command to verify what
> the system is really seeing as the arc paths.  Apparently there is some
> disagreement in there somewhere.  I can't guess at why the boot loader is
> showing something which doesn't exist in the boot.ini file.  I would also
> look in that utility partition to see what is in there - maybe some clues?

> dave

> > Thanks, Jeff.

> > The server is still bootable if I select "Microsoft Windows 2000
Server".
> > However, the default is simply called "Windows (Default)" and this
> selection
> > results in (I think) a "NTOSKERNEL not found" error.  This is a problem
if
> > the server needs to be rebooted remotely or if it shuts down because of
> > power failure.

> > Both drives are on the same controller.

> > I will be able to test a few things on Thursday when I am on-site where
> the
> > server is located.  The first thing I will do is remove the new drive to
> see
> > if that resolves the issue.  I noticed that the new drive has a 32MB
> utility
> > partition on it (Dell partition perhaps).  I will try to remove that to
> see
> > if that helps.

> > I'll post a follow up on Thursday, but please keep the suggestions
coming.

> > Craig

> > > I'm probably just too tired, but are you saying that you can no longer
> > boot
> > > the server?

> > > Could you just remove the recently installed hard disk to make the
> server
> > > boot properly again?

> > > What is the error/BSOD message?

> > > Are both the RAID set and the single connected to the Perc controller,
> or
> > on
> > > different SCSI controllers?

> > > The answer if you can't boot on any condition, is to create a new boot
> > disk
> > > from another NT/W2K machine, adjust the Boot.ini to include similar
> > entries
> > > as what you have indicated below.

> get
> > > rid
> > interface
> > > in
Windows
> > > 2000

> > Server"

boot.ini problem

Post by Dave Stoecke » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 05:50:37

Yeah, that makes sense.  Hadn't occurred to me - one more factoid to
remember : )

> Well, probably not cause the boot.ini doesn't read the partition table to
> display that information on screen, that all comes as text from the
> boot.ini. Therefore, if there's something wacky showing on screen, it's
more
> likely a non-displayed  (non-ASCII) character in the boot.ini file which
is
> supposed to be just plain text.

> I've seen cases that selectively deleting several lines and retyping them
> clears up this sort of thing.

> > You might boot the Recovery Console and run the MAP command to verify
what
> > the system is really seeing as the arc paths.  Apparently there is some
> > disagreement in there somewhere.  I can't guess at why the boot loader
is
> > showing something which doesn't exist in the boot.ini file.  I would
also
> > look in that utility partition to see what is in there - maybe some
clues?

> > dave

> > > Thanks, Jeff.

> > > The server is still bootable if I select "Microsoft Windows 2000
> Server".
> > > However, the default is simply called "Windows (Default)" and this
> > selection
> > > results in (I think) a "NTOSKERNEL not found" error.  This is a
problem
> if
> > > the server needs to be rebooted remotely or if it shuts down because
of
> > > power failure.

> > > Both drives are on the same controller.

> > > I will be able to test a few things on Thursday when I am on-site
where
> > the
> > > server is located.  The first thing I will do is remove the new drive
> > see
> > > if that resolves the issue.  I noticed that the new drive has a 32MB
> > utility
> > > partition on it (Dell partition perhaps).  I will try to remove that
> > see
> > > if that helps.

> > > I'll post a follow up on Thursday, but please keep the suggestions
> coming.

> > > Craig

> > > boot

> > server

> > or
> > > on

> > > disk
> > > entries

> is

> > get
> > > interface
> Windows

> > > Server"

boot.ini problem

Post by Craig C.B. Knaue » Sat, 30 Mar 2002 10:18:49

Problem solved.  Thank you both for the help.  There must have been a
formatting problem with the boot.ini.  I recreated it from scratch and all
is well with the boot loader.

Craig Knauer

> Yeah, that makes sense.  Hadn't occurred to me - one more factoid to
> remember : )

> > Well, probably not cause the boot.ini doesn't read the partition table
> > display that information on screen, that all comes as text from the
> > boot.ini. Therefore, if there's something wacky showing on screen, it's
> more
> > likely a non-displayed  (non-ASCII) character in the boot.ini file which
> is
> > supposed to be just plain text.

> > I've seen cases that selectively deleting several lines and retyping
them
> > clears up this sort of thing.

> > > You might boot the Recovery Console and run the MAP command to verify
> what
> > > the system is really seeing as the arc paths.  Apparently there is
some
> > > disagreement in there somewhere.  I can't guess at why the boot loader
> is
> > > showing something which doesn't exist in the boot.ini file.  I would
> also
> > > look in that utility partition to see what is in there - maybe some
> clues?

> > > dave

> > Server".
> > > selection
> problem
> > if
> of

> where
> > > the
> > > see
> > > utility
> > > see

> > coming.

> longer

> > > server

> controller,
> > > or

> boot

> loader
> > is

> > > get
> > Windows

boot.ini problem

Post by Dave Stoecke » Sat, 30 Mar 2002 14:17:48

Jeff M.  472,563
Dave S.  0
<chuckle>

> Problem solved.  Thank you both for the help.  There must have been a
> formatting problem with the boot.ini.  I recreated it from scratch and all
> is well with the boot loader.

> Craig Knauer

> > Yeah, that makes sense.  Hadn't occurred to me - one more factoid to
> > remember : )

> > > Well, probably not cause the boot.ini doesn't read the partition table
> > > display that information on screen, that all comes as text from the
> > > boot.ini. Therefore, if there's something wacky showing on screen,
it's
> > more
> > > likely a non-displayed  (non-ASCII) character in the boot.ini file
which
> > is
> > > supposed to be just plain text.

> > > I've seen cases that selectively deleting several lines and retyping
> them
> > > clears up this sort of thing.

> > what
> some
> > is
> > also
> > clues?

> > > Server".
> > problem
> > > if
> > of

> > where
> drive

> > > coming.

message

> > longer

> > controller,

> > boot
> similar

> > loader
> > > is

GUI
> > > Windows

> 2000

boot.ini problem

Post by Jeff Middleton [SBS MVP » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 10:55:32

Wow. I better stop trying so hard. Wouldn't want you to lose interest in the
competition!

:)

> Jeff M.  472,563
> Dave S.  0
> <chuckle>

> > Problem solved.  Thank you both for the help.  There must have been a
> > formatting problem with the boot.ini.  I recreated it from scratch and
all
> > is well with the boot loader.

> > Craig Knauer

> > > Yeah, that makes sense.  Hadn't occurred to me - one more factoid to
> > > remember : )

> it's
> > > more
> which
> > > is

> > them

> verify
> > > what
> > some
> loader
> > > is
> > > also
> > > clues?

> > > problem
> because
> > > of

> > > where
> > drive
> 32MB
> that

> message

> > > longer

> the

> > > controller,

> new
> > > boot
> > similar

> > > loader

> how
> GUI

> > 2000

boot.ini problem

Post by Dave Stoecke » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 07:10:25

I think another year or two in AAA ball and I should be ready to play  ; )

> Wow. I better stop trying so hard. Wouldn't want you to lose interest in
the
> competition!

> :)

> > Jeff M.  472,563
> > Dave S.  0
> > <chuckle>

> > > Problem solved.  Thank you both for the help.  There must have been a
> > > formatting problem with the boot.ini.  I recreated it from scratch and
> all
> > > is well with the boot loader.

> > > Craig Knauer

> table
> > it's
> > which

> > > them

message

> > verify
> > > some
> > loader
> would
> some

> this
> > because

> on-site
> > > drive
> > 32MB
> > that

> suggestions

> > message

> no

> > the

> > new
> > > similar

> > how
> > GUI
> "Microsoft

Windows
> > > 2000

1. boot.ini problem

hi

had a sbs2k server brought over to me this afternoon to have a look at - it
wouldnt boot with the initial error:-

invalid boot.ni file .... booting from winnt

then goes onto - the following file is missing or corrupted  system
root\winnt\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

no emergency repair disk, but after a look with repair console from the cd
turned out the boot.ini file in the root was missing - i copied in a
boot.ini file and the system proceeded to boot into windows and could logon
and all seemed fine - then had issues with IE locking up requiring ctrl alt
del, end task to close it, as it was IE 5.0 I upgraded it to 5.5sp2 and was
well again, working fine, had rebooted a couple times to make sure all ok
and it was.

just now i shutdown the machine completely and done a boot from cold and the
same problem occurred, boot.ini file gone without a trace ... copied one
back in & booted again fine, IE fine this time, no trouble with it so im
dismissing it for the moment

im thinking virus, the sbs has mcaffee groupshield antivirus installed for
exchange but nothing else ... can i make the boot.ini file read only so it
wont be deleted if something is trying? also what antivirus product would be
a good one to sit alongside mcaffee groupshield, any trials I could use to
verify if virus related?

 any thoughts?

2. Why won't Out Of Office replies work?

3. Boot.ini Problem

4. Anybody ever get an Appbar to work?

5. Win 2000 SBS and Boot.ini

6. Deleting files in QNX 2 based on date.

7. A Boot.ini question

8. Foreign process menu trouble

9. Boot.ini

10. boot.ini and serial mouse better fix

11. boot.ini disappears/deleted on sbs 2000

12. BOOT.INI lost