send fax fail

Post by Bud Reco » Sun, 13 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Trying to get SBS fax to work properly. No matter what i try, keep getting
"Send Fax Fail - Try Again Later" in the fax printer queu. Doesnt matter if
directly trying from Fax Send Utility or directly print from an app. Have
tried on several workstations (win95) as well as the server itself.  What am
i missing?

send fax fail

Post by Cris Hanna, BS, MCP, MV » Sun, 13 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Are you getting a specific error message in the event log?

--
Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
SBS-MVP

Quote:> Trying to get SBS fax to work properly. No matter what i try, keep getting
> "Send Fax Fail - Try Again Later" in the fax printer queu. Doesnt matter
if
> directly trying from Fax Send Utility or directly print from an app. Have
> tried on several workstations (win95) as well as the server itself.  What
am
> i missing?

send fax fail

Post by Bud Reco » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Not getting an error message in the event log, it just says Print under the
source column and below is the detail:
----------------------
Document 19, Support Online from Product Support Services--Search Results
owned by BUD was printed on Fax via port U.S. Robotics 56K FAX INT.  Size in
bytes: 41277; pages printed: 0
----------------------------

Quote:> Are you getting a specific error message in the event log?

send fax fail

Post by Cris Hanna, BS, MCP, MV » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Bud
Just curious....you trying to fax from a webpage?

Think I have an idea of what is up:
Are there any references in logon script to "net use" and LPT1?

Have you gone into the spooler and deleted all fax files?

Cris

--
Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
SBS-MVP

> Not getting an error message in the event log, it just says Print under
the
> source column and below is the detail:
> ----------------------
> Document 19, Support Online from Product Support Services--Search Results
> owned by BUD was printed on Fax via port U.S. Robotics 56K FAX INT.  Size
in
> bytes: 41277; pages printed: 0
> ----------------------------

> > Are you getting a specific error message in the event log?

send fax fail

Post by Bud Reco » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Cris that example i was just trying to send (print) a web page to the fax.
Have also tried for word and also right direct from the fax send utility sbs
installs on the clients.

No there are no references in the logon script for net use lpt1.

Have deleted all the files in the spooler.

This problem is not machine specific, doing it on all have tried including
the server itself. Gives exactly the same message in the spooler on all of
them, just fyi.

> Bud
> Just curious....you trying to fax from a webpage?

> Think I have an idea of what is up:
> Are there any references in logon script to "net use" and LPT1?

> Have you gone into the spooler and deleted all fax files?

> Cris

> --
> Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
> SBS-MVP

> > Not getting an error message in the event log, it just says Print under
> the
> > source column and below is the detail:
> > ----------------------
> > Document 19, Support Online from Product Support Services--Search
Results
> > owned by BUD was printed on Fax via port U.S. Robotics 56K FAX INT.
Size
> in
> > bytes: 41277; pages printed: 0
> > ----------------------------

> > > Are you getting a specific error message in the event log?

send fax fail

Post by Cris Hanna, BS, MCP, MV » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Know it sounds trite but have you tried rebooting server and then trying
right away?
What type of modem do you have, how many, make model brand etc

--
Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
SBS-MVP

> Cris that example i was just trying to send (print) a web page to the fax.
> Have also tried for word and also right direct from the fax send utility
sbs
> installs on the clients.

> No there are no references in the logon script for net use lpt1.

> Have deleted all the files in the spooler.

> This problem is not machine specific, doing it on all have tried including
> the server itself. Gives exactly the same message in the spooler on all of
> them, just fyi.

> > Bud
> > Just curious....you trying to fax from a webpage?

> > Think I have an idea of what is up:
> > Are there any references in logon script to "net use" and LPT1?

> > Have you gone into the spooler and deleted all fax files?

> > Cris

> > --
> > Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
> > SBS-MVP

> > > Not getting an error message in the event log, it just says Print
under
> > the
> > > source column and below is the detail:
> > > ----------------------
> > > Document 19, Support Online from Product Support Services--Search
> Results
> > > owned by BUD was printed on Fax via port U.S. Robotics 56K FAX INT.
> Size
> > in
> > > bytes: 41277; pages printed: 0
> > > ----------------------------

send fax fail

Post by Bud Reco » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Man i wanna hide under my desk!! I never expected a server reboot to work,
figured starting and stopping the fax service would have done just as good..
After the reboot seems to be working.. Will see if it keeps working or not
though.  Thanks for the insight! Sometimes someone else's mind is better
than your own..

> Know it sounds trite but have you tried rebooting server and then trying
> right away?
> What type of modem do you have, how many, make model brand etc

> --
> Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
> SBS-MVP

> > Cris that example i was just trying to send (print) a web page to the
fax.
> > Have also tried for word and also right direct from the fax send utility
> sbs
> > installs on the clients.

> > No there are no references in the logon script for net use lpt1.

> > Have deleted all the files in the spooler.

> > This problem is not machine specific, doing it on all have tried
including
> > the server itself. Gives exactly the same message in the spooler on all
of
> > them, just fyi.

> > > Bud
> > > Just curious....you trying to fax from a webpage?

> > > Think I have an idea of what is up:
> > > Are there any references in logon script to "net use" and LPT1?

> > > Have you gone into the spooler and deleted all fax files?

> > > Cris

> > > --
> > > Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
> > > SBS-MVP

> under
> > > the
> > Results
> > Size
> > > in

send fax fail

Post by Cris Hanna, BS, MCP, MV » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Fax server is a product that I'm sure will get better as it goes, but just a
little rough getting out of the gate. Glad its up now

--
Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
SBS-MVP

> Man i wanna hide under my desk!! I never expected a server reboot to work,
> figured starting and stopping the fax service would have done just as
good..
> After the reboot seems to be working.. Will see if it keeps working or not
> though.  Thanks for the insight! Sometimes someone else's mind is better
> than your own..

> > Know it sounds trite but have you tried rebooting server and then trying
> > right away?
> > What type of modem do you have, how many, make model brand etc

> > --
> > Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
> > SBS-MVP

> > > Cris that example i was just trying to send (print) a web page to the
> fax.
> > > Have also tried for word and also right direct from the fax send
utility
> > sbs
> > > installs on the clients.

> > > No there are no references in the logon script for net use lpt1.

> > > Have deleted all the files in the spooler.

> > > This problem is not machine specific, doing it on all have tried
> including
> > > the server itself. Gives exactly the same message in the spooler on
all
> of
> > > them, just fyi.

> > under
> > > Results
INT.
> > > Size

send fax fail

Post by Bud Reco » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the help..  Now the problem seems to be with faxing more than 2
pages. It will start to send the 3rd page, then stop. It will then say in
the spooler retry attempt 1 of 3. Then when it sends, it will only make it
sending page 1 and not get any farther. Tried faxing out of different apps
and is not app specific, get the same results.. Is not putting an error in
the event viewer logs either.  Have you ever come across this before?

Am using a USR 56k Internal modem.

Quote:> Fax server is a product that I'm sure will get better as it goes, but just
> little rough getting out of the gate. Glad its up now

> --
> Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
> SBS-MVP

send fax fail

Post by Cris Hanna, BS, MCP, MV » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

This knowledge base would be a good place to start
Q184822

--
Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
SBS-MVP