Network, logon, browsing problems Anyone??

Network, logon, browsing problems Anyone??

Post by Miles Gayno » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Dear All,

I have been scratching my head over these some time now, but I am no
closer to
solving these minor but irritating problems. I know that a lot of time
has been spent on fixing similar problems, but I don't know if these are
related or independent. I would be grateful if someone could point me in
the right direction.
here goes..

Setup:

SBS4.5 on PDC. NT4.0 sp 4 on BDC (I know Jeff won't like this, but it
turned out lucky)
25 Workstations running NT4 mostly SP4 some SP6
LAN is spread over 3 fibre legs with the servers using Fast Ether
Channels into the central switch. DHCP enabled

Problems:

1. PDC will not validate logons. Clients will not auto install when
setup with the magic disk. I can't find the SBS style logon script
anywhere, I think the guys who installed the system deleted it when I
asked them to set up a logon script to map drives. I wrote an LMHosts
file for the PDC which solved the browser elections but not the logon
prob. If this is the problem, where can I get another copy of the logon
script?

2. Some workstations are invisible to Network Neighbourhood. Even two
which are on the same switch as the servers do not show up. They ping
OK. I have checked the registry to see if they have been hidden (they
are account department machines) but they haven't.

3. One machine can be seen under Net Neighbourhood but there is no
access to the shares. It is the one I want to use as a Scan Router host
so I put it onto fixed IP 10.0.0.15 if that is relevant.

4. The BDC was originally set up with only one NIC plugged in (not me!)
I plugged in the second NIC, enabled Fast Ether Channel but if I leave
it on a fixed IP as it was before, no one can browse network
Neighbourhood and drives mapped to that machine fail. So I guess it
still thinks it is the master browser despite the LMHosts file?

Sorry to dump all these in one massive post, but I am getting bald
before my time.

Cheers
Miles

Network, logon, browsing problems Anyone??

Post by Jeff Middleto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Didn't I post a reply on this question earlier today?

Quote:> Dear All,

> I have been scratching my head over these some time now, but I am no
> closer to
> solving these minor but irritating problems. I know that a lot of time
> has been spent on fixing similar problems, but I don't know if these are
> related or independent. I would be grateful if someone could point me in
> the right direction.
> here goes..

> Setup:

> SBS4.5 on PDC. NT4.0 sp 4 on BDC (I know Jeff won't like this, but it
> turned out lucky)
> 25 Workstations running NT4 mostly SP4 some SP6
> LAN is spread over 3 fibre legs with the servers using Fast Ether
> Channels into the central switch. DHCP enabled

> Problems:

> 1. PDC will not validate logons. Clients will not auto install when
> setup with the magic disk. I can't find the SBS style logon script
> anywhere, I think the guys who installed the system deleted it when I
> asked them to set up a logon script to map drives. I wrote an LMHosts
> file for the PDC which solved the browser elections but not the logon
> prob. If this is the problem, where can I get another copy of the logon
> script?

> 2. Some workstations are invisible to Network Neighbourhood. Even two
> which are on the same switch as the servers do not show up. They ping
> OK. I have checked the registry to see if they have been hidden (they
> are account department machines) but they haven't.

> 3. One machine can be seen under Net Neighbourhood but there is no
> access to the shares. It is the one I want to use as a Scan Router host
> so I put it onto fixed IP 10.0.0.15 if that is relevant.

> 4. The BDC was originally set up with only one NIC plugged in (not me!)
> I plugged in the second NIC, enabled Fast Ether Channel but if I leave
> it on a fixed IP as it was before, no one can browse network
> Neighbourhood and drives mapped to that machine fail. So I guess it
> still thinks it is the master browser despite the LMHosts file?

> Sorry to dump all these in one massive post, but I am getting bald
> before my time.

> Cheers
> Miles

Network, logon, browsing problems Anyone??

Post by Cain » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Matt,

I would also check the workgroup name in the network properties.  If
workgroup names are different, I've found that the ones that differ
will not see anyone, and no one will see them.

Good Luck

Mike

Post by Mal Osborn » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

--
Mal Osborne
MCSE Mensa

Quote:> Dear All,

> I have been scratching my head over these some time now, but I am no
> closer to
> solving these minor but irritating problems. I know that a lot of time
> has been spent on fixing similar problems, but I don't know if these are
> related or independent. I would be grateful if someone could point me in
> the right direction.
> here goes..

> Setup:

> SBS4.5 on PDC. NT4.0 sp 4 on BDC (I know Jeff won't like this, but it
> turned out lucky)
> 25 Workstations running NT4 mostly SP4 some SP6
> LAN is spread over 3 fibre legs with the servers using Fast Ether
> Channels into the central switch. DHCP enabled

> Problems:

> 1. PDC will not validate logons. Clients will not auto install when
> setup with the magic disk. I can't find the SBS style logon script
> anywhere, I think the guys who installed the system deleted it when I
> asked them to set up a logon script to map drives. I wrote an LMHosts
> file for the PDC which solved the browser elections but not the logon
> prob. If this is the problem, where can I get another copy of the logon
> script?

> 2. Some workstations are invisible to Network Neighbourhood. Even two
> which are on the same switch as the servers do not show up. They ping
> OK. I have checked the registry to see if they have been hidden (they
> are account department machines) but they haven't.

Sorry if this is a bit silly, but you do have "File & Print Sharing for
Microsoft Networks" installed on these machines? If you didn't you would
have these exact symptoms.  If that is already setup, I would try
reinstalling all network components, (try one box first) and see what
happens.

Quote:> 3. One machine can be seen under Net Neighbourhood but there is no
> access to the shares. It is the one I want to use as a Scan Router host
> so I put it onto fixed IP 10.0.0.15 if that is relevant.

> 4. The BDC was originally set up with only one NIC plugged in (not me!)
> I plugged in the second NIC, enabled Fast Ether Channel but if I leave
> it on a fixed IP as it was before, no one can browse network
> Neighbourhood and drives mapped to that machine fail. So I guess it
> still thinks it is the master browser despite the LMHosts file?

> Sorry to dump all these in one massive post, but I am getting bald
> before my time.

> Cheers
> Miles

Network, logon, browsing problems Anyone??

Post by Mal Osborn » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Just thought of another possibility, if the IPs are valid, but your subnet
masks are not, you will get some of the problems you describe. I once set up
an SBS system with a 255.255.0.0 mask on the server, and 255.255.255.0 on
the workstations.  I was able to ping, and connect but browsing did not
work.  I guess this was due to broadcasts not working.

Check all of your subnet masks are the same.

--
Mal Osborne
MCSE Mensa

Quote:> Dear All,

> I have been scratching my head over these some time now, but I am no
> closer to
> solving these minor but irritating problems. I know that a lot of time
> has been spent on fixing similar problems, but I don't know if these are
> related or independent. I would be grateful if someone could point me in
> the right direction.
> here goes..

> Setup:

> SBS4.5 on PDC. NT4.0 sp 4 on BDC (I know Jeff won't like this, but it
> turned out lucky)
> 25 Workstations running NT4 mostly SP4 some SP6
> LAN is spread over 3 fibre legs with the servers using Fast Ether
> Channels into the central switch. DHCP enabled

> Problems:

> 1. PDC will not validate logons. Clients will not auto install when
> setup with the magic disk. I can't find the SBS style logon script
> anywhere, I think the guys who installed the system deleted it when I
> asked them to set up a logon script to map drives. I wrote an LMHosts
> file for the PDC which solved the browser elections but not the logon
> prob. If this is the problem, where can I get another copy of the logon
> script?

> 2. Some workstations are invisible to Network Neighbourhood. Even two
> which are on the same switch as the servers do not show up. They ping
> OK. I have checked the registry to see if they have been hidden (they
> are account department machines) but they haven't.

> 3. One machine can be seen under Net Neighbourhood but there is no
> access to the shares. It is the one I want to use as a Scan Router host
> so I put it onto fixed IP 10.0.0.15 if that is relevant.

> 4. The BDC was originally set up with only one NIC plugged in (not me!)
> I plugged in the second NIC, enabled Fast Ether Channel but if I leave
> it on a fixed IP as it was before, no one can browse network
> Neighbourhood and drives mapped to that machine fail. So I guess it
> still thinks it is the master browser despite the LMHosts file?

> Sorry to dump all these in one massive post, but I am getting bald
> before my time.

> Cheers
> Miles

Network, logon, browsing problems Anyone??

Post by Jeff Middleton [SBS-MVP » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Is there any way to join these thread together again?

Nope.  :)

Network, logon, browsing problems Anyone??

Post by Mal Osborn » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

The clients are DHCP configured, but not the NIC in the server.  They could
be mismatched.  The server service  on NT is the same as File & Print
sharing on 9x.  (sort of) This has be running, and bound to the lower
protocols for the machines to apear in network neighbourhood.

Mal Osborne
MCSE Mensa

Network, logon, browsing problems Anyone??

Post by Jeff Middleton [SBS-MVP » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I find this happens periodically.

It's my opinion that Homer Simpson is in charge during those periods.

Post by Melodi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

DOH!

> I find this happens periodically.

> It's my opinion that Homer Simpson is in charge during those periods.

Martin,

I can see why this is a better policy but I can't really use it now
because I can't risk having no log on server at all! I have not had
the NetBT event 4320 yet (A pleasure yet to come) and the browsing
probs were down to other reasons so I will go with it until I can
get the PDC to serve logons. I am currently still working through
the excellent advice that Jeff gave to me. If that fails, then I will
reinstall the BDC as a last resort, but it is a bit of a leap of faith!

Thanks
Miles

Network, logon, browsing problems Anyone??

Post by Miles Gayno » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

> The clients are DHCP configured, but not the NIC in the
> server.  They could
> be mismatched.  The server service  on NT is the same as File & Print
> sharing on 9x.  (sort of) This has be running, and bound to the lower
> protocols for the machines to apear in network neighbourhood.

> Mal Osborne
> MCSE Mensa

Mal, you are a star. (and I am a bit fick) The server service had
been switched to manual. Not me honest!!

Thanks
Miles

Network, logon, browsing problems Anyone??

Post by Jeff Middleton [SBS-MVP » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

What an excellent job here by everyone except me! BRAVO!

Quote:

> > The clients are DHCP configured, but not the NIC in the
> > server.  They could
> > be mismatched.  The server service  on NT is the same as File & Print
> > sharing on 9x.  (sort of) This has be running, and bound to the lower
> > protocols for the machines to apear in network neighbourhood.

> > Mal Osborne
> > MCSE Mensa

> Mal, you are a star. (and I am a bit fick) The server service had
> been switched to manual. Not me honest!!

> Thanks
> Miles

Network, logon, browsing problems Anyone??

Post by Mal Osborn » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Does that mean the MVP welcome pack is in the (E) mail?

--
Mal Osborne
MCSE Mensa