SBS 45 - Broadband Web Access and Firewall Question

SBS 45 - Broadband Web Access and Firewall Question

Post by SteveMc » Fri, 05 Dec 2003 22:36:41

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently involved in upgrading a site from PSTN to broadband web access
and I was wondering if I need to also get some firewall software. Having
read the documentation on the SBSlinks site, I'm comfortable enough at
tackling the configuring the dsl connection with the second nic but there's
no mention of securing the connection. Can anyone come up with some
suggestions or cite some example sites, links etc,

TIA,

Steve

SBS 45 - Broadband Web Access and Firewall Question

Post by SBS-MV » Sat, 06 Dec 2003 00:55:40

If you are using SBS 4.5 which should include Proxy 2.0 which, although is
not as powerful a firewall as say ISA, it should do a pretty good job of
keeping the bad guys out.  Of course you want to make sure it has SP1
applied and that all other security patches have been applied to the SBS
server and you should be in good shape.

Other than that perhaps you will want to look at a small hardware firewall.

--
Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]
-------------------------

Quote:> Hi Everyone,

> I'm currently involved in upgrading a site from PSTN to broadband web
access
> and I was wondering if I need to also get some firewall software. Having
> read the documentation on the SBSlinks site, I'm comfortable enough at
> tackling the configuring the dsl connection with the second nic but
there's
> no mention of securing the connection. Can anyone come up with some
> suggestions or cite some example sites, links etc,

> TIA,

> Steve

SBS 45 - Broadband Web Access and Firewall Question

Post by SteveMc » Sat, 06 Dec 2003 18:07:04

Chris,

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if Proxy 2.0 provided any level of
protection,

Steve