Exchange and Web Hosting

Post by Chuc » Wed, 01 May 2002 03:50:21

I was previously using SBS 4.5 and was running Exchange
and a Web site using one NIC. I know ..... security risk.

I am now reconfiguring SBS 2000 (for the third time
because of the sketchy MS install advice regarding domain
naming) and will be using a second NIC for the web site
and Exchange.
Where do I find the proper place to define the pathways.
At the NIC config?
I seem to be missing a step to tell the software to use
the correct hardware. I also have a Netopia R9100 router
taking care of NAT but have heard that the external NIC
should not use routing but depend solely on ISA. I fear
the worst..... having run the gauntlet of SPs and fixes
after the damage has already been done.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Exchange and Web Hosting

Post by Les Conno » Wed, 01 May 2002 06:01:51

Hi Chuck,

Take a look here http://www.sbslinks.com/network.htm to get a nice diagram,
then post back with specific questions.

--
Les Connor
------------------

Quote:> I was previously using SBS 4.5 and was running Exchange
> and a Web site using one NIC. I know ..... security risk.

> I am now reconfiguring SBS 2000 (for the third time
> because of the sketchy MS install advice regarding domain
> naming) and will be using a second NIC for the web site
> and Exchange.
> Where do I find the proper place to define the pathways.
> At the NIC config?
> I seem to be missing a step to tell the software to use
> the correct hardware. I also have a Netopia R9100 router
> taking care of NAT but have heard that the external NIC
> should not use routing but depend solely on ISA. I fear
> the worst..... having run the gauntlet of SPs and fixes
> after the damage has already been done.

> Any help is greatly appreciated.

1. Exchange, Web hosting, and backup MX

This is sort of a general query.

Why do most Web hosting providers, - even those that are regular dialup/dsl
providers like Earthlink- NOT provide back up MX services????

WE currently have our  DSL service (dynamic IP) provided via Bellsouth but
our Web/Domain is hosted through Earthlinhk (from well before we got
DSL) -We have tried but we cannot get DSL service from Earthlink, because of
some limitation from BS.

Consequently, we have to either retrieve our mail with the pop3 connector by
Dial-up or risk sending POP3 passwords in clear text over the internet.
Neither of which is an Ideal situation.

Now in order to alleviate this situation, I am ordering static IP service
from Bellsoth to run our Exchange server as it should be : as a full  SMTP
server wit MX pointing to our server, rather than use the smart host
relaying and pop3 connector to pull e-mail from our Web/Domain host
mailbox's.

Here is my Problem: Earthlink WILL NOT provide Backup MX!!!!!

Also what I have discovered is that most all other hosting providers
(including Earthlink) do NOT provide backup MX services. They ALL tell you
to use POP3! WHY is this????

Aside from the fact that it is incredibly insecure sending cleat text
passwords across the net, I REALLY want to move away from having to use POP3
with Exchange at all.

What I am planning to do for now is (since we are getting 5 IP's) is to use
a linux box running sendmail as a backup MX relay host for my domain
locally, which will be O.K as long as my DSL is up (If Exchange goes down,
my Local sendmail will be the backup MX, till my Exchange server is back
up).

In the event that my DLS is down, I will leave a MX record pointing back to
the web host POP3 mailbox's, and have the pop3 connector connect
ocassionally (by dial-up so I am not going across th internet with clear
text passwords) to check for mail.

WHat I would really like to do is find a Web/Domain hosting company that
WILL provide MX backup. Does anyone know of a good, reputable company that
does this - as part of the web hosting package???

Thank,

Aaron

2. WTB: Palm Pilot

3. Seperate ISP & Web Host

4. Microtech Compact Flash 30MB/$175 Anyone Try?

5. Disabling web-hosting in SBS4.5

6. Hard disk spinning down once only

7. Web Hosting

8. Com Ports

9. Pls Help: Separating the web-hosting and internet e-mail

10. Server Size for Web Hosting?

11. Small Business Server for Web Hosting

12. hosting web site

13. Web page: cannot display; refresh: Host not found; refresh2: Logon Dialogue