packet filtering problems cont'd

Post by Dan La » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 10:09:59

As previously mentioned in an earlier post, I cannot get to my SBS default
text page or OWA through the Internet by typing in the static IP.  I had
tried this earlier with a Linksys, now I'm using a SMC 4 port Barricade and
getting the same results.  The SBS is set up as the DMZ, packet filtering is
turned on and seems to be working.  Running the Shields Up test shows that
port 25 and 80 are open.

However, when trying to access the default text page or OWA, I get a "Cannot
Find Server" error in IE.  If I browse to port 88, I get the router config
which is supposed to happen.  I can telnet to both port 25 (where I see an
Exchange message) and port 80 (where I see an IIS message).  That would
indicate that packet filtering is working.  So now I'm starting to wonder
what other products could be at fault.  IIS reports no errors, and
everything works fine from inside the building.  I have upgraded to the
latest firmware on both the Linksys and SMC.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dan

packet filtering problems cont'd

Post by Grey Lancaster [MS MVP SBS » Mon, 25 Dec 2000 20:37:32

Well well.  Owa only uses port 80, port 25 is not used for OWA. Not that
this helps anything

For fun, if you disable packet filtering does it work?

--
Grey
MVP SBS

http://www.smallbizserver.com FAQ's/Links etc
http://www.egroups.com/group/sbs2k  SBS Listserve

Quote:> As previously mentioned in an earlier post, I cannot get to my SBS default
> text page or OWA through the Internet by typing in the static IP.  I had
> tried this earlier with a Linksys, now I'm using a SMC 4 port Barricade
and
> getting the same results.  The SBS is set up as the DMZ, packet filtering
is
> turned on and seems to be working.  Running the Shields Up test shows that
> port 25 and 80 are open.

> However, when trying to access the default text page or OWA, I get a
"Cannot
> Find Server" error in IE.  If I browse to port 88, I get the router config
> which is supposed to happen.  I can telnet to both port 25 (where I see an
> Exchange message) and port 80 (where I see an IIS message).  That would
> indicate that packet filtering is working.  So now I'm starting to wonder
> what other products could be at fault.  IIS reports no errors, and
> everything works fine from inside the building.  I have upgraded to the
> latest firmware on both the Linksys and SMC.

> Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Dan

packet filtering problems cont'd

Post by Dan La » Tue, 26 Dec 2000 14:18:59

I believe it was if I remember correctly.  It's already been 3 weeks and I'm
forgetting.  I'm taking a short vacation until Jan 8th, I'm just going to
forget about it for a while and come back to it then.  Maybe I'll have a
revelation of some sort that will give me some ideas, my brain is pretty
much fried right now.

Thanks,
Dan