( SBS 4.5 + Winfax ) instead ( SBS 4.5 FAX ) ?

( SBS 4.5 + Winfax ) instead ( SBS 4.5 FAX ) ?

Post by zipzi » Tue, 28 May 2002 06:31:08

Please, Can I use Winfax instead MS SBS 4.5 Fax ?
Ill use only to receive and print from the server, only one serial modem.
My MS-SBS4.5 Fax service some times not works very well, not receive the
calls .
Thanks
Ren

( SBS 4.5 + Winfax ) instead ( SBS 4.5 FAX ) ?

Post by SBS-MV » Tue, 28 May 2002 06:43:47

Are you asking our permission???
You would be better off setting this up on a workstation and sharing...some
folks have successfully used on the server...it has caused problems for
otehrs

--
Cris Hanna
SBS MVP

Quote:> Please, Can I use Winfax instead MS SBS 4.5 Fax ?
> Ill use only to receive and print from the server, only one serial modem.
> My MS-SBS4.5 Fax service some times not works very well, not receive the
> calls .
> Thanks
> Ren

( SBS 4.5 + Winfax ) instead ( SBS 4.5 FAX ) ?

Post by Simo » Tue, 28 May 2002 06:43:03

Yes but SBS can sometimes react funny with it.
A much better setup if you can do it is this:

An old Pentium class pc with plenty of ram with a fax modem attached. An
internal ISDN board with its own processor is prefered.
Set the pc up with NT4 or Win2k and install Winfax as a fax server.

Then if you want to go one step further install Winfax on all client PC's
and point them to the Winfax Server.
Then client pc's can send faxes as well.

I've adopted this method at 2 of our sites now and it works a treat.

Simon

Quote:> Please, Can I use Winfax instead MS SBS 4.5 Fax ?
> Ill use only to receive and print from the server, only one serial modem.
> My MS-SBS4.5 Fax service some times not works very well, not receive the
> calls .
> Thanks
> Ren

( SBS 4.5 + Winfax ) instead ( SBS 4.5 FAX ) ?

Post by SBS-MV » Tue, 28 May 2002 09:05:37

No can't say as I've forgotten...its was a small joke..sorry if you were
offended.

--

Post by Mariette Knap [MVP » Wed, 29 May 2002 04:44:34

> Please, Can I use Winfax instead MS SBS 4.5 Fax ?
> Ill use only to receive and print from the server, only one serial
> modem. My MS-SBS4.5 Fax service some times not works very well, not
> receive the calls .

Installing Winfax on a SBS 4.5 server is not supported and unstable.
Symantec official word on this that Winfax cannot run on the IP address
schema that is used by SBS 4.5 as default.

As others have suggested you should use a workstation.

--
Bye
Mariette Knap [MS SBS MVP]

Post by Mariette Knap [MVP » Wed, 29 May 2002 05:07:06

> On Mon, 27 May 2002 21:44:34 +0200, "Mariette Knap [MVP]"

>>> Please, Can I use Winfax instead MS SBS 4.5 Fax ?
>>> Ill use only to receive and print from the server, only one serial
>>> modem. My MS-SBS4.5 Fax service some times not works very well, not
>>> receive the calls .

>> Installing Winfax on a SBS 4.5 server is not supported and unstable.
>> Symantec official word on this that Winfax cannot run on the IP
>> address schema that is used by SBS 4.5 as default.

> I'd be interested in any links to this ...

Fax sharing/message sharing and Small Business Server 4.0, 4.0a, 4.5

--
Bye
Mariette Knap [MS SBS MVP]
Author of the SBS 2000 FAQ Site: http://www.sbs2000.info/

( SBS 4.5 + Winfax ) instead ( SBS 4.5 FAX ) ?

Post by SuperGumb » Thu, 30 May 2002 14:17:55

what a marvelously verbose explanation they give (I'm not shooting the messenger).

Blame MS for using a 10.x.y.z range and a 24 bit mask.