POP3 hassles

Post by Zupa » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:54:50

I setup the POP3 connector today and tried to specify *one* user to receive
mail from *multiple* POP3 accounts.

POP3 accounts can be associated with *any* SBS user.
Right?

EXAMPLE:
I have two POP3 accounts called SALES and ORDERS.
I do not have nor do I want a SBS user called SALES or ORDERS.

So I tell the POP3 connector that this mail belongs to JOE.
But for some reason the mail is never delivered to JOE.

He got tired of waiting....so I created to fictitious users called SALES and
ORDERS.

Then I logged in to the PC as each user, setup the Outlook profile and
granted JOE permission to access the mailbox.
Of course I had to do the same thing on the SBS server...just different
place.

That works...but there are way TOO MANY STEPS involved not to mention having
to create users and setup the Outlook profile to grant permissions.

Anyone get it to work without all the hassle?

TIA,
Frank

POP3 hassles

Post by Bud Reco » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 22:07:32

I believe you would also need to create an email alias under the 'joe' user

Quote:> I setup the POP3 connector today and tried to specify *one* user to
receive
> mail from *multiple* POP3 accounts.

> POP3 accounts can be associated with *any* SBS user.
> Right?

> EXAMPLE:
> I have two POP3 accounts called SALES and ORDERS.
> I do not have nor do I want a SBS user called SALES or ORDERS.

> So I tell the POP3 connector that this mail belongs to JOE.
> But for some reason the mail is never delivered to JOE.

> He got tired of waiting....so I created to fictitious users called SALES
and
> ORDERS.

> Then I logged in to the PC as each user, setup the Outlook profile and
> granted JOE permission to access the mailbox.
> Of course I had to do the same thing on the SBS server...just different
> place.

> That works...but there are way TOO MANY STEPS involved not to mention
having
> to create users and setup the Outlook profile to grant permissions.

> Anyone get it to work without all the hassle?

> TIA,
> Frank

POP3 hassles

Post by Dave Nickaso » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 23:08:49

Bud is right, you need to add all the addresses to the user's entry in AD
Users and Computers.

You should be able to easily set up one user with as many pop accounts as
you wish.  I have several users with 4 and 5 addresses.

> I believe you would also need to create an email alias under the 'joe'
user

> > I setup the POP3 connector today and tried to specify *one* user to
> receive
> > mail from *multiple* POP3 accounts.

> > POP3 accounts can be associated with *any* SBS user.
> > Right?

> > EXAMPLE:
> > I have two POP3 accounts called SALES and ORDERS.
> > I do not have nor do I want a SBS user called SALES or ORDERS.

> > So I tell the POP3 connector that this mail belongs to JOE.
> > But for some reason the mail is never delivered to JOE.

> > He got tired of waiting....so I created to fictitious users called SALES
> and
> > ORDERS.

> > Then I logged in to the PC as each user, setup the Outlook profile and
> > granted JOE permission to access the mailbox.
> > Of course I had to do the same thing on the SBS server...just different
> > place.

> > That works...but there are way TOO MANY STEPS involved not to mention
> having
> > to create users and setup the Outlook profile to grant permissions.

> > Anyone get it to work without all the hassle?

> > TIA,
> > Frank

POP3 hassles

Post by ZZZup » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 08:06:59

TUVVM!!!
Dummie me...
I should have thought of that!!!
Frank

POP3 hassles

Post by Charlie Anthe [MS » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 07:59:42

It also sounds like you have tried to define these as Global Mailboxes (or
Global User Accounts), rather than individual user accounts.

If you simply create two user accounts, and map them both to the user "joe",
you should not have to modify the AD properties of the user "joe" in order
to receive the e-mail through the connector.

Hope this helps.

--
Charlie Anthe
Microsoft Small Business Server Product Team

This posting is provided "AS IS" and includes no warranties, and confers no
rights.

> Bud is right, you need to add all the addresses to the user's entry in AD
> Users and Computers.

> You should be able to easily set up one user with as many pop accounts as
> you wish.  I have several users with 4 and 5 addresses.

> > I believe you would also need to create an email alias under the 'joe'
> user

addresses.

> > > I setup the POP3 connector today and tried to specify *one* user to
> > receive
> > > mail from *multiple* POP3 accounts.

> > > POP3 accounts can be associated with *any* SBS user.
> > > Right?

> > > EXAMPLE:
> > > I have two POP3 accounts called SALES and ORDERS.
> > > I do not have nor do I want a SBS user called SALES or ORDERS.

> > > So I tell the POP3 connector that this mail belongs to JOE.
> > > But for some reason the mail is never delivered to JOE.

> > > He got tired of waiting....so I created to fictitious users called
SALES
> > and
> > > ORDERS.

> > > Then I logged in to the PC as each user, setup the Outlook profile and
> > > granted JOE permission to access the mailbox.
> > > Of course I had to do the same thing on the SBS server...just
different
> > > place.

> > > That works...but there are way TOO MANY STEPS involved not to mention
> > having
> > > to create users and setup the Outlook profile to grant permissions.

> > > Anyone get it to work without all the hassle?

> > > TIA,
> > > Frank

1. Hassle free POP3 connector

There's another POP3 connector out there that I've been using.  It works
wonderfully and it's free.  It's called E.F.S.  You can download it at
www.chimera.co.nz

It's fully functional unless your aliasing a domain name.  Then you have to
buy an advanced version.  Otherwise, it works great.

Chuck

2. Memory 32meg SIMM $185.00

3. Fax Client Hassles

4. E-mail access

5. VPN Hassles

6. icons in systray

7. SMS & Netware Client Setup Hassle

8. Disk drive "Step rate" changer for

9. Problems downloading POP3-mails from IPS with POP3 Connector

10. No POP3 Connector in BO2000, can I use the POP3 Connector from SBS2000?

11. How to change POP3 port in Exchange Connector for POP3 ?

12. POP3 connector failed to check the POP3 account

13. POP3 Connector and Lan POP3 server