SBS 4.5 Fax Service not sending faxes

Post by Brad Scot » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have a customer with a SBS 4.5 server with the fax services installed.
The modem I am using is the USR V.everything external.  The clients are
using the V1.0 of the fax client.  I am able to receive faxes and route them
to common profile which is then published on all of the clients Outlook's.
From there they either print or delete them as a group (no dedicated fax
administrator.)  This seems to work fine.  My problem is that I cannot get
the fax server to tell the modem to dial out.  I have checked from within
Hyperterminal to be sure that it can dial out.  I re-installed just the fax
service and fax printer on the server, and one client for testing.  When you
launch Word and the print command, select your fax printer, fill in the
blanks, and finish...it sends it to the print queue.  The queue on the
workstation says printing 0 bytes - the queue on the server says the correct
amount but it never dials, just sits in the queue.  I have restarted the
server, the fax services, reset the modem, recreated the fax printer, and
checked in the registry for unused shared fax devices.  Is there maybe a
spooling issue?  I have looked in the KB but could not find a specific topic
on outgoing faxes.  Please help.  Thanks, Brad.

SBS 4.5 Fax Service not sending faxes

Post by Ted Kazinsk » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

HI Brad...I am sure some may have been able to use the MS Fax services
however I am not one of them.....I gave up on MS Fax long ago and have opted
to spend a few extra bucks on Zetafax as most of these guys on here will
tell you.  If you got MS fax to receive and route, that is further than I
have ever gotten with it....I don't know why MS has such a hard time with
fax & modem sharing....they definitely need to improve that end of the NT
architecture...

Sorry I couldn't help...good luck

>I have a customer with a SBS 4.5 server with the fax services installed.
>The modem I am using is the USR V.everything external.  The clients are
>using the V1.0 of the fax client.  I am able to receive faxes and route
them
>to common profile which is then published on all of the clients Outlook's.
>From there they either print or delete them as a group (no dedicated fax
>administrator.)  This seems to work fine.  My problem is that I cannot get
>the fax server to tell the modem to dial out.  I have checked from within
>Hyperterminal to be sure that it can dial out.  I re-installed just the fax
>service and fax printer on the server, and one client for testing.  When
you
>launch Word and the print command, select your fax printer, fill in the
>blanks, and finish...it sends it to the print queue.  The queue on the
>workstation says printing 0 bytes - the queue on the server says the
correct
>amount but it never dials, just sits in the queue.  I have restarted the
>server, the fax services, reset the modem, recreated the fax printer, and
>checked in the registry for unused shared fax devices.  Is there maybe a
>spooling issue?  I have looked in the KB but could not find a specific
topic
>on outgoing faxes.  Please help.  Thanks, Brad.

SBS 4.5 Fax Service not sending faxes

Post by Cris Hanna, BS, MC » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Brad
First question why haven't you upgraded fax client to v4.5

Second question, have you downloaded the latest inf file for your modem
Third question, is this the only modem in the system?
Fourth question, have you downloaded the fax and modem sharing
troubleshooting document from the SBS web site

--
Cris Hanna, BS, MCP

Quote:> I have a customer with a SBS 4.5 server with the fax services installed.
> The modem I am using is the USR V.everything external.  The clients are
> using the V1.0 of the fax client.  I am able to receive faxes and route
them
> to common profile which is then published on all of the clients Outlook's.
> From there they either print or delete them as a group (no dedicated fax
> administrator.)  This seems to work fine.  My problem is that I cannot get
> the fax server to tell the modem to dial out.  I have checked from within
> Hyperterminal to be sure that it can dial out.  I re-installed just the
fax
> service and fax printer on the server, and one client for testing.  When
you
> launch Word and the print command, select your fax printer, fill in the
> blanks, and finish...it sends it to the print queue.  The queue on the
> workstation says printing 0 bytes - the queue on the server says the
correct
> amount but it never dials, just sits in the queue.  I have restarted the
> server, the fax services, reset the modem, recreated the fax printer, and
> checked in the registry for unused shared fax devices.  Is there maybe a
> spooling issue?  I have looked in the KB but could not find a specific
topic
> on outgoing faxes.  Please help.  Thanks, Brad.

SBS 4.5 Fax Service not sending faxes

Post by Brien G. Mulle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

My answer won't look at all like the other two posted previously. Mine may
seem way out there, but here it goes....

I had exactly the same problem. I fought it and fought it. Then I had
Microsoft on the phone for three hours. The tech was great but baffled. He
had left multiple times to conference with other techs with the same result.

The real key was "Does phone dialer work?" Mine didn't.

The USR V.90 modem couldn't sense a dial tone. I could put a phone on the
modem, lift the handset to get a dial tone, and then the modem would dial. I
FedX'd in a new modem. Same result. I had setup the server at my office and
it worked fine. Wouldn't let items out of the queue at the customer's site,
though.

Either the wiring or a fax switch box is weaking the phone line signal.
Neither the phone line installer nor USR/3COM is willing to help me with a
resolution. USR simply says "We only support modems connected directly to
the phone line. If there are any intermediate devices (i.e. fax switches,
splitters), we don't support it." The phone line installer is willing to
check voltages, etc., but since USR won't give me a minimum spec, that won't
do any good.

I've brought in a V.Everything modem figuring the extra $100 cost should
give me a more forgiving device. Now that I've read your message, I'm not
very optimistic. Nevertheless, I leave shortly for my experiment.

Your description of your issue exactly matches mine. Bottom line: does phone
dialer dial out? As the MS tech said, when you try this test there is no
software in the way. Just the modem and the phone line.

Brien Muller

Quote:> I have a customer with a SBS 4.5 server with the fax services installed.
> The modem I am using is the USR V.everything external.  The clients are
> using the V1.0 of the fax client.  I am able to receive faxes and route
them
> to common profile which is then published on all of the clients Outlook's.
> From there they either print or delete them as a group (no dedicated fax
> administrator.)  This seems to work fine.  My problem is that I cannot get
> the fax server to tell the modem to dial out.  I have checked from within
> Hyperterminal to be sure that it can dial out.  I re-installed just the
fax
> service and fax printer on the server, and one client for testing.  When
you
> launch Word and the print command, select your fax printer, fill in the
> blanks, and finish...it sends it to the print queue.  The queue on the
> workstation says printing 0 bytes - the queue on the server says the
correct
> amount but it never dials, just sits in the queue.  I have restarted the
> server, the fax services, reset the modem, recreated the fax printer, and
> checked in the registry for unused shared fax devices.  Is there maybe a
> spooling issue?  I have looked in the KB but could not find a specific
topic
> on outgoing faxes.  Please help.  Thanks, Brad.

SBS 4.5 Fax Service not sending faxes

Post by Jeff Middleto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

The problem you described, Brien, was most likely reverse polarity on the
phone outlet.  The pair of wires was reversed.  Many logic devices look for
ground on the specific wire.  If they don't get ground, the don't pick up.
A phone handset is less polite, it simply grabs the pair of wires and routes
the juice.

> [...]

> > service and fax printer on the server, and one client for testing.  When
> you
> > launch Word and the print command, select your fax printer, fill in the
> > blanks, and finish...it sends it to the print queue.  The queue on the
> > workstation says printing 0 bytes - the queue on the server says the
> correct
> > amount but it never dials, just sits in the queue.  I have restarted the
> > server, the fax services, reset the modem, recreated the fax printer,
and
> > checked in the registry for unused shared fax devices.  Is there maybe a
> > spooling issue?  I have looked in the KB but could not find a specific
> topic
> > on outgoing faxes.  Please help.  Thanks, Brad.

SBS 4.5 Fax Service not sending faxes

Post by Brien G. Mulle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Jeff, that's a fresh, new thought! I'll have to figure out how to check it
or how to get the phone installer there to check it for me.

I did take in the v.everything modem. It gets a dial tone but breaks the
connection in about a second. Do you see this as a similar symptom (possible
reversed polarity)?

Thank you very much. I can't wait to follow through on this.

Brien Muller

> [...]

> > you
> > > launch Word and the print command, select your fax printer, fill in
the
> > > blanks, and finish...it sends it to the print queue.  The queue on the
> > > workstation says printing 0 bytes - the queue on the server says the
> > correct
> > > amount but it never dials, just sits in the queue.  I have restarted
the
> > > server, the fax services, reset the modem, recreated the fax printer,
> and
> > > checked in the registry for unused shared fax devices.  Is there maybe
> > > spooling issue?  I have looked in the KB but could not find a specific
> > topic
> > > on outgoing faxes.  Please help.  Thanks, Brad.

SBS 4.5 Fax Service not sending faxes

Post by Jeff Middleto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

The other thing to try is to tell the modem not to wait for dial tone.  This
is a modem /DUN setting option.

The polarity check can be done with a $10 tester from Radio Shack.  You plug
it in and it shows red or green.  Very intense.

Otherwise, you open the telephone jack cover, swap the wires, or if you have
crimpers for RJ11, you 'make' a reverse cable for testing purposes.  With
the polarity check toy and a reverse cable, I can be very dangerous in these
situation.  :)

> [...]

> > > the phone line. If there are any intermediate devices (i.e. fax
> switches,
> > > splitters), we don't support it." The phone line installer is willing
> > > check voltages, etc., but since USR won't give me a minimum spec, that
> > won't
> > > do any good.

> > > I've brought in a V.Everything modem figuring the extra $100 cost
should
> > > give me a more forgiving device. Now that I've read your message, I'm
> not
> > > very optimistic. Nevertheless, I leave shortly for my experiment.

> > > Your description of your issue exactly matches mine. Bottom line: does
> > phone
> > > dialer dial out? As the MS tech said, when you try this test there is
no
> > > software in the way. Just the modem and the phone line.

Post by chell.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Brad-->
   I have given up on MS Fax and went to internet faxing.  It took my
head ace  away for good.  If you want to check out a great service check
out www.faxroom.com or to try it out go to www.free2fax.com.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.