Shared Printer Problem- Win95 Flat Share Disk

Shared Printer Problem- Win95 Flat Share Disk

Post by IAG Security Solution » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

We have a SBS setup with 8 Win95/98 workstations in the building

In one room we have two machines running WIN98. One PC has a Canon LBP660
printer physically connected to it. The idea is for the other machine to
print via the other PC to this LBP660.

After loading the WIN98 drivers on the local machine, it prints OK. I shared
the printer out as CanonLBP and gave access only to the second machine in
that room. The second machine says it cannot find the printer
//xxxx/canonLBP, even though it could be seen during the port setup.

So I then tried adding the printer on the server as a Networked Printer on
another Machine, with support for Windows 95 operating systems. I got the
Win NT driver for the Canon printer from drivers.com.

After selecting the operating system, a disk called 'Windows 95 Flat Share'
is asked for - What is it? Where can I get it?

Another funny - When I run the Canon NT setup disk for a local setup on the
server, I get ' An unexpected error occurred while setting up the printer.
This setup failed (ErrorCode: S5,5L)' - Any ideas what this means?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Gary Wade

Shared Printer Problem- Win95 Flat Share Disk

Post by IAG Security Solution » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

We have a SBS setup with 8 Win95/98 workstations in the building

In one room we have two machines running WIN98. One PC has a Canon LBP660
printer physically connected to it. The idea is for the other machine to
print via the other PC to this LBP660.

After loading the WIN98 drivers on the local machine, it prints OK. I shared
the printer out as CanonLBP and gave access only to the second machine in
that room. The second machine says it cannot find the printer
//xxxx/canonLBP, even though it could be seen during the port setup.

Any ideas?

So I then tried adding the printer on the server as a Networked Printer on
another Machine, with support for Windows 95 operating systems. I got the
Win NT driver for the Canon printer from drivers.com.

After selecting the operating system, a disk called 'Windows 95 Flat Share'
is asked for - What is it? Where can I get it?

Another funny - When I run the Canon NT setup disk for a local setup on the
server, I get ' An unexpected error occurred while setting up the printer.
This setup failed (ErrorCode: S5,5L)' - Any ideas what this means?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Gary Wade

Shared Printer Problem- Win95 Flat Share Disk

Post by Cris Hanna, BS, MC » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

since you only want the 2 win 98 pcs to print to this printer your first
approach is best (and probably easiest to resolve)

On the machine to whom the printer is connected physically, check network
properties to make sure
1) File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is present
2) Check the Access Control tab - make sure it is set for User Level and in
the box for where to get list from, enter your NT Domain name  (not internet
domain name .com)

When these are in place, on the same computer, go to My Computer, double
click on the Printers Icon, find the printer to be shared, right-click over
it and click on Sharing.

Give it a sharename of 8 or less characters, no spaces, slashes, dashes or
other punctuation
You can also go in here and establish permissions for the other user

Then go to machine whom want to use printer, Go through Add Printer wizard,
choose Network Printer, navigate until you see the other Win98 PC click on
the plus sign to expand and you should see the printer share name you
created, click on it and click OK, follow the rest of the prompts and be
prepared with 98 driver software to install on this machine.  When it asks
for a test print say ok

See what happens and let us know

--
Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
SBS-MVP

Quote:> We have a SBS setup with 8 Win95/98 workstations in the building