Advice please - Main office running SBS2000 with internet connection want to add remote home-office with internet connection

Advice please - Main office running SBS2000 with internet connection want to add remote home-office with internet connection

Post by RG » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 01:30:36

Ok.

Our office has SBS2000 and internet. The boss has just finished his home
studio a few hours away and is purchasing computer gear.
Let's assume that both office and the homestudio have adsl connections. Is
this all that is required to connect the boss to our lan? If his home-office
grows to a few people, is there room for growth along this path?
Assume the office receives all email to exchange server for retrieval. Then
there file storage, if it's based in the office, is the ADSL link painful
for regular file access (files of 1 meg and above).

cheers,
RG

Advice please - Main office running SBS2000 with internet connection want to add remote home-office with internet connection

Post by Gizmo :-\ » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 07:03:28

HI RG,

Should be adequate for one user and even more, mathematically 500kbps link
with 1MB file should take two seconds...LOL, that is if you had full '
contention ratio '. Problem is who else is sharing your ' line ' and what
use will they be doing ?

Should be cheap enough to try and experiment BUT watch / consider any
contracts you enter should you need to upgrade.

Connecting to office 56K modem is fine for exchange / email retrieval and
acceptable for small docs, but not 1MB files.

You would be looking at VPN connections and would strongly recommend XP as
the home pcs. Much easier to configure. ALSO very important that home PC is
well protected with AV, VPN is one of the securist connections but if the
home pc is infected it could go down the VPN to your server.

If cost isn't an issue, and more complex (for basic user) configuration
required then seperate routers at server and home to enhance security.
However I am happy with ISA  on its own.

What type of files are they..CAD, Word, Excel etc ?

Hope this gives some assistance

Quote:> Ok.

> Our office has SBS2000 and internet. The boss has just finished his home
> studio a few hours away and is purchasing computer gear.
> Let's assume that both office and the homestudio have adsl connections. Is
> this all that is required to connect the boss to our lan? If his
home-office
> grows to a few people, is there room for growth along this path?
> Assume the office receives all email to exchange server for retrieval.
Then
> there file storage, if it's based in the office, is the ADSL link painful
> for regular file access (files of 1 meg and above).

> cheers,
> RG

Advice please - Main office running SBS2000 with internet connection want to add remote home-office with internet connection

Post by SBS-MV » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 14:00:24

When Gizmo recommends XP for the home machines, that would be XP Pro...not XP Home

--
CRIS HANNA (SBS-MVP)
Please do not reply directly to me by email but only in the newsgroup so that all may share the information

  HI RG,

  Should be adequate for one user and even more, mathematically 500kbps link
  with 1MB file should take two seconds...LOL, that is if you had full '
  contention ratio '. Problem is who else is sharing your ' line ' and what
  use will they be doing ?

  Should be cheap enough to try and experiment BUT watch / consider any
  contracts you enter should you need to upgrade.

  Connecting to office 56K modem is fine for exchange / email retrieval and
  acceptable for small docs, but not 1MB files.

  You would be looking at VPN connections and would strongly recommend XP as
  the home pcs. Much easier to configure. ALSO very important that home PC is
  well protected with AV, VPN is one of the securist connections but if the
  home pc is infected it could go down the VPN to your server.

  If cost isn't an issue, and more complex (for basic user) configuration
  required then seperate routers at server and home to enhance security.
  However I am happy with ISA  on its own.

  What type of files are they..CAD, Word, Excel etc ?

  Hope this gives some assistance

  > Ok.
  >
  > Our office has SBS2000 and internet. The boss has just finished his home
  > studio a few hours away and is purchasing computer gear.
  > Let's assume that both office and the homestudio have adsl connections. Is
  > this all that is required to connect the boss to our lan? If his
  home-office
  > grows to a few people, is there room for growth along this path?
  > Assume the office receives all email to exchange server for retrieval.
  Then
  > there file storage, if it's based in the office, is the ADSL link painful
  > for regular file access (files of 1 meg and above).
  >
  >
  >
  > cheers,
  > RG

Advice please - Main office running SBS2000 with internet connection want to add remote home-office with internet connection

Post by Gizmo :-\ » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 17:27:42

XP Home...whats that?...LOL

  When Gizmo recommends XP for the home machines, that would be XP Pro...not XP Home

  --
  CRIS HANNA (SBS-MVP)
  Please do not reply directly to me by email but only in the newsgroup so that all may share the information

    HI RG,

    Should be adequate for one user and even more, mathematically 500kbps link
    with 1MB file should take two seconds...LOL, that is if you had full '
    contention ratio '. Problem is who else is sharing your ' line ' and what
    use will they be doing ?

    Should be cheap enough to try and experiment BUT watch / consider any
    contracts you enter should you need to upgrade.

    Connecting to office 56K modem is fine for exchange / email retrieval and
    acceptable for small docs, but not 1MB files.

    You would be looking at VPN connections and would strongly recommend XP as
    the home pcs. Much easier to configure. ALSO very important that home PC is
    well protected with AV, VPN is one of the securist connections but if the
    home pc is infected it could go down the VPN to your server.

    If cost isn't an issue, and more complex (for basic user) configuration
    required then seperate routers at server and home to enhance security.
    However I am happy with ISA  on its own.

    What type of files are they..CAD, Word, Excel etc ?

    Hope this gives some assistance

    > Ok.
    >
    > Our office has SBS2000 and internet. The boss has just finished his home
    > studio a few hours away and is purchasing computer gear.
    > Let's assume that both office and the homestudio have adsl connections. Is
    > this all that is required to connect the boss to our lan? If his
    home-office
    > grows to a few people, is there room for growth along this path?
    > Assume the office receives all email to exchange server for retrieval.
    Then
    > there file storage, if it's based in the office, is the ADSL link painful
    > for regular file access (files of 1 meg and above).
    >
    >
    >
    > cheers,
    > RG

Advice please - Main office running SBS2000 with internet connection want to add remote home-office with internet connection

Post by RG » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 02:20:02

CAD files.. over the net connection could be several meg each. But if the photoshop files start moving around then it's closer to 100meg.

Ok..  Think you answered my questions.
cheers,
Robin

  XP Home...whats that?...LOL

    When Gizmo recommends XP for the home machines, that would be XP Pro...not XP Home

    --
    CRIS HANNA (SBS-MVP)
    Please do not reply directly to me by email but only in the newsgroup so that all may share the information

      HI RG,

      Should be adequate for one user and even more, mathematically 500kbps link
      with 1MB file should take two seconds...LOL, that is if you had full '
      contention ratio '. Problem is who else is sharing your ' line ' and what
      use will they be doing ?

      Should be cheap enough to try and experiment BUT watch / consider any
      contracts you enter should you need to upgrade.

      Connecting to office 56K modem is fine for exchange / email retrieval and
      acceptable for small docs, but not 1MB files.

      You would be looking at VPN connections and would strongly recommend XP as
      the home pcs. Much easier to configure. ALSO very important that home PC is
      well protected with AV, VPN is one of the securist connections but if the
      home pc is infected it could go down the VPN to your server.

      If cost isn't an issue, and more complex (for basic user) configuration
      required then seperate routers at server and home to enhance security.
      However I am happy with ISA  on its own.

      What type of files are they..CAD, Word, Excel etc ?

      Hope this gives some assistance

      > Ok.
      >
      > Our office has SBS2000 and internet. The boss has just finished his home
      > studio a few hours away and is purchasing computer gear.
      > Let's assume that both office and the homestudio have adsl connections. Is
      > this all that is required to connect the boss to our lan? If his
      home-office
      > grows to a few people, is there room for growth along this path?
      > Assume the office receives all email to exchange server for retrieval.
      Then
      > there file storage, if it's based in the office, is the ADSL link painful
      > for regular file access (files of 1 meg and above).
      >
      >
      >
      > cheers,
      > RG

1. No Internet Connection When Connected to Remote Office

We are running SBS, 20 Clients, Dial Up Internet
Connection (56K Modem), Dial In from remote office (3Com
Dual LanModem). All works well except I cannot get
simultaneous Internet & Remote office connectivity.
When connected to the internet I cannot interact with my
remote office from SBS server, the line stays up but no
ping. When connected to the remote office there is no
Internet connection and I get the follow IE error message

403 Forbidden - The ISA Server denies the specified
Uniform Resource Locator (URL). (12202)
Internet Security and Acceleration Server

I have tried disconnecting ISA server but I still cannot
get both connections at the same time.

I need help from you SBS Superheroes.

2. \hlinefill-type stuff

3. Performance of remote office link to main office

4. Wanted Kaypro 16

5. Remote Office Frame Connection to SBS2000

6. termcap/terminfo entry for terminal teleray 7

7. Home Office wants a Remote Workstation to access resources

8. FuzzyCLIPS Vs VB

9. Internet and VPN in the home office

10. Shared Internet Connections, VPN, and E-mail connections

11. Problem with Internet Connection Wizard with DSL connection.

12. Remote office connection via leased line

13. Internet Connection sharing home system