Real hardware for SBS4.5 and SBS2000

Post by zipzi » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:25:06

Please,
What is the real hardware to run SBS4.5 ?
And SBS2000 ?
Thank You
Rene

Real hardware for SBS4.5 and SBS2000

Post by SuperGumb » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 11:56:11

more realistic stuff after the funnies.

Quote:> Please,
> What is the real hardware to run SBS4.5 ?

I have a production SBS4.5 running 25 users on a PII/~300 with 300MB RAM on
a set of software mirrored SCSI's, been running flawlessly for ages.

Quote:> And SBS2000 ?

my Lounge Area Network runs SBS2K on a PIII/500 with 512MB on a pair of
software mirrored 10GB IDE's.

Quote:> Thank You
> Rene

Any current box will run SBS4.5 and just about any current box will run
SBS2K.

The major considerations (IMHO) are:
Drive IO and redundancy. You want good IO rates and I'm not supporting your
server if you won't at least get a pair of drives and mirror it.
Sufficient memory. Depends what you want to do and how many users. 512
minimum, 768 medium, 1GB should handle any standard SBS scenario.
SBS+ThirdPartyApp, the sky's the limit.
Processor (yes, less important) anything current, and some old. If you plan
on upgrading the box in a couple of years (as opposed to getting a new box)
get a dual capable motherboard, in which case you should get the matching
CPU now and it will sit there with both CPU's pushing a few percent usage.

1. SMS Hardware in the "Real World"

I have been asked to do some research on SMS2 and to put together some
approximate costs to impliment it on our network.  We maintain a network of
approximately 1500 users (mostly win 95 and a few scattered NT
workstations), about 20 NT4 servers, and an AS400.  We have 100mb ethernet
supporting 450 users at our main location, and 128k frame relay links to
each of our 10 remote sites.  I am looking for some "Real World" answers
(not what the manual says) to following questions:

a)  Do we need to implement more than 1 SMS site?
b)  Can we realistically run SMS2 and SQL7 on the same server?

I appreciate any suggestions you can provide!

T. Michael Pardon
Henkel Surface Technologies
I.T. Staff

2. Looking for Spellcheck Algorithm

3. From SBS4.5-domatin to the real NT-domain

4. Damaged XT 40 directory

5. What are the real benefits of SBS2K over SBS4.5?

6. How to put several things on one page?

7. upgrading trial license for sbs2000 to real license

8. I need HiTest API or Missing fields in ACLEntry class???

9. SBS4.5 - Hardware Requirement

10. SBS4.5 hardware upgrade

11. New hardware with re-install of sbs4.0 to 4.5, Setup problems.....

12. hardware and software upgrade on an sbs4.0 box

13. SBS4.5 Hardware Profiles