Specify IP address Exchange binds to?

Post by Leonard Agoad » Sun, 21 Sep 2003 08:50:00

Hi all,

I am running SBS 4.5 with Exchange 5.5.

I have several IP addresses on my external NIC.

I would like to server proxy port 25 on some,
but it appears Exchange is bound to all available IP addresses.

Can I specify which external IP address Exchange binds to?

Len Agoado

Specify IP address Exchange binds to?

Post by Marina Roo » Sun, 21 Sep 2003 21:16:40

What do  you mean, several IP's on your external NIC?
Port 25 is normally used for SMTP.
Have you run the ICW-wizard from the SBS-console?

Marina

Post by Leonard Agoad » Wed, 24 Sep 2003 03:27:45

> > Hi all,

> > I am running SBS 4.5 with Exchange 5.5.

> > I have several IP addresses on my external NIC.

> > I would like to server proxy port 25 on some,
> > but it appears Exchange is bound to all available IP
addresses.

> > Can I specify which external IP address Exchange binds to?

> > Len Agoado

Hi Marina, thanks for replying.

Quote:> What do  you mean, several IP's on your external NIC?

My external NIC has three IP addresses assigned to it.

Quote:> Port 25 is normally used for SMTP.

Yes, and Exchange (or IIS) has bound all three IP addresses so
that only Exchange can listen on each port 25.  I would like to
have Exchange listen to port 25 on only one of the IP addresses,
while the other two are server proxied to a proxy client running
its own SMTP server.

Quote:> Have you run the ICW-wizard from the SBS-console?

Yes, but I do not see the options I need.

Thanks,

Len Agoado

Specify IP address Exchange binds to?

Post by Al William » Wed, 24 Sep 2003 03:41:17

Try this google search (I just searched for your subject ;-) )
http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=Specify+IP+address+Exchange+binds+to...

I think you will find it is not possible to limit the IP addresses in 5.5
but you can in 2000.

--
Allan Williams

> Hi all,

> I am running SBS 4.5 with Exchange 5.5.

> I have several IP addresses on my external NIC.

> I would like to server proxy port 25 on some,
> but it appears Exchange is bound to all available IP addresses.

> Can I specify which external IP address Exchange binds to?

> Len Agoado

Specify IP address Exchange binds to?

Post by Leonard Agoad » Wed, 24 Sep 2003 05:19:29

Thanks Allan.

Specify IP address Exchange binds to?

Post by Marina Roo » Wed, 24 Sep 2003 05:41:43

What are you using these 3 IP's for?

Marina

> > > Hi all,

> > > I am running SBS 4.5 with Exchange 5.5.

> > > I have several IP addresses on my external NIC.

> > > I would like to server proxy port 25 on some,
> > > but it appears Exchange is bound to all available IP
> addresses.

> > > Can I specify which external IP address Exchange binds to?

> > > Len Agoado

> Hi Marina, thanks for replying.

> > What do  you mean, several IP's on your external NIC?

> My external NIC has three IP addresses assigned to it.

> > Port 25 is normally used for SMTP.

> Yes, and Exchange (or IIS) has bound all three IP addresses so
> that only Exchange can listen on each port 25.  I would like to
> have Exchange listen to port 25 on only one of the IP addresses,
> while the other two are server proxied to a proxy client running
> its own SMTP server.

> > Have you run the ICW-wizard from the SBS-console?

> Yes, but I do not see the options I need.

> Thanks,

> Len Agoado

Specify IP address Exchange binds to?

Post by Leonard Agoad » Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:21:39

Quote:> What are you using these 3 IP's for?

MX records

Len Agoado

Specify IP address Exchange binds to?

Post by Marina Roo » Wed, 24 Sep 2003 22:57:29

You shouldn't have to put MX-records on your external nic. Your ISP should
make those MX-records and point them to your public IP.

If you want to get mail for several domains, you put those emaildomains in
Exchange System Administrator, Connections. On one of those tabs you can
specify for which emaildomains you want to receive mail.

Marina

Post by Leonard Agoad » Thu, 25 Sep 2003 05:26:04

> You shouldn't have to put MX-records on your external nic. Your
ISP should
> make those MX-records and point them to your public IP.

Marina,

Thank you for replying, but I think you misunderstand what I am
asking.

Very simply, my SBS 4.5 external NIC has three public IP
addresses.

When Exchange 5.5 starts, it binds to port 25 on each and all of
these IP addresses.

I want to server proxy port 25 on two of these IP addresses,
which means Exchange has to let go of them.

Allan Williams informed me that this cannot be done with Exchange
5.5.

In microsoft.public.exchange.admin, Rich Matheisen, Exchange MVP
confirmed that Exchange 5.5 has no provision for specifying which
IP address it will bind to; but if another application binds to
the socket first, Exchange will not grab it.

So, I created a client wspcfg.ini that incorporates ProxyBindIP,
ServerBindTcpPorts, and ForceCredentials.

Stop the Exchange IMS on the SBS to free the bindings.

Start the client program which allows IIS to bind to the ports as
a server proxy for the client.

Start the Exchange IMS which binds to the remaining free IP
addresses.

Problem solved.

Thanks all for your help.

Len Agoado