upgrade from 4.0 -> 4.5->2000 -> 2003

Post by jpf » Wed, 13 Aug 2003 01:25:54

We originally bought version 4 (with 25 user licenses I believe).
I got the free upgrade to v4.5 in 2000 and everything has been running
reasonably well since then.
I've been trying to make sense of upgrading to a newer version. I
would need licensing for 15 users.
My hardware is a dell poweredge 2400 with a single 733 and 256mb with
5 18gb ultra wide(2?) drives.

From atomicpark I can get:

sbs2000 upgrade with 5 cal              656
2x5 add on upgrade (145 each)           290
software assurance (2yrs)                        99
total                                                                     1045

Is that the way to go?

I'm assuming I will lose the original 25 user licenses when upgrading
to 2000 and will have to buy upgrade CAL's instead.

Will it run on the above spec machine (I'd like to upgrade to 2cpu's
and 1gb memory.

We don't use MSSQL or IIS (use mysql and apache on linux), we do use
exchange but I'm considering alt-n's mdaemon groupware. Sticking with
SBS seems to be the cheapest way to get to Server2003 either way.

Thanks
jpf

upgrade from 4.0 -> 4.5->2000 -> 2003

Post by SuperGumb » Wed, 13 Aug 2003 06:35:14

sounds reasonable

You NEED more RAM. 1G is a comfortable amount for the proposed changes.

I'd worry less about the processor(s) but keep in mind that one or two more
recent processors will probably cost a similar amount to matching the
existing 733. What's your warranty status? If you've extended the warranty
you'll need a Dell CPU to stay 100%, they'll charge a premium. If you're not
worried about warranty you may be able to save significantly. But I'll
stress, I don't think this is a requirement.

Quote:> We originally bought version 4 (with 25 user licenses I believe).
> I got the free upgrade to v4.5 in 2000 and everything has been running
> reasonably well since then.
> I've been trying to make sense of upgrading to a newer version. I
> would need licensing for 15 users.
> My hardware is a dell poweredge 2400 with a single 733 and 256mb with
> 5 18gb ultra wide(2?) drives.

> From atomicpark I can get:

> sbs2000 upgrade with 5 cal 656
> 2x5 add on upgrade (145 each) 290
> software assurance (2yrs) 99
> total   1045

> Is that the way to go?

> I'm assuming I will lose the original 25 user licenses when upgrading
> to 2000 and will have to buy upgrade CAL's instead.

> Will it run on the above spec machine (I'd like to upgrade to 2cpu's
> and 1gb memory.

> We don't use MSSQL or IIS (use mysql and apache on linux), we do use
> exchange but I'm considering alt-n's mdaemon groupware. Sticking with
> SBS seems to be the cheapest way to get to Server2003 either way.

> Thanks
> jpf

upgrade from 4.0 -> 4.5->2000 -> 2003

Post by Al William » Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:11:02

Except that I was told, by MS themselves, that the $99 SA offer was NOT
valid on the SBS2000 upgrade SKU -- only on the full retail, Open licence,
or OEM SKU's.  If you have different, confirmed, information I'd like to
know about it as I went through a lot of hassle talking to different people
before I got a straight answer.

--
Allan Williams

Quote:> We originally bought version 4 (with 25 user licenses I believe).
> I got the free upgrade to v4.5 in 2000 and everything has been running
> reasonably well since then.
> I've been trying to make sense of upgrading to a newer version. I
> would need licensing for 15 users.
> My hardware is a dell poweredge 2400 with a single 733 and 256mb with
> 5 18gb ultra wide(2?) drives.

> From atomicpark I can get:

> sbs2000 upgrade with 5 cal 656
> 2x5 add on upgrade (145 each) 290
> software assurance (2yrs) 99
> total   1045

> Is that the way to go?

> I'm assuming I will lose the original 25 user licenses when upgrading
> to 2000 and will have to buy upgrade CAL's instead.

> Will it run on the above spec machine (I'd like to upgrade to 2cpu's
> and 1gb memory.

> We don't use MSSQL or IIS (use mysql and apache on linux), we do use
> exchange but I'm considering alt-n's mdaemon groupware. Sticking with
> SBS seems to be the cheapest way to get to Server2003 either way.

> Thanks
> jpf

upgrade from 4.0 -> 4.5->2000 -> 2003

Post by jpf » Thu, 14 Aug 2003 01:21:51

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:11:02 -0600, "Al Williams"

>Except that I was told, by MS themselves, that the $99 SA offer was NOT
>valid on the SBS2000 upgrade SKU -- only on the full retail, Open licence,
>or OEM SKU's.  If you have different, confirmed, information I'd like to
>know about it as I went through a lot of hassle talking to different people
>before I got a straight answer.

I have no definitive information but I find it hard to believe that
someone who purchases an upgrade is somehow less valid to receive the
SA than someone who purchases the full retail. We all bought the full
product at some point.
The OEM is only $75 more, it does leave a dirty taste in the mouth
though.

upgrade from 4.0 -> 4.5->2000 -> 2003

Post by Al William » Thu, 14 Aug 2003 02:49:35

Except that MS is *replacing* upgrades with SA so version upgrade SKU's are
becoming scarce.  I think the offer is just to prevent people from holding
off new purchases of SBS2000 while waiting for 2003 (something that MS used
to do for free when they offered free upgrades close to new version releases
BTW).

I'm just repeating what I was told.  Of course, based on my experience you
can get a different answer depending upon who you talk to at MS sometimes.

--
Allan Williams

> On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:11:02 -0600, "Al Williams"

> >Except that I was told, by MS themselves, that the $99 SA offer was NOT
> >valid on the SBS2000 upgrade SKU -- only on the full retail, Open
licence,
> >or OEM SKU's.  If you have different, confirmed, information I'd like to
> >know about it as I went through a lot of hassle talking to different
people
> >before I got a straight answer.

> I have no definitive information but I find it hard to believe that
> someone who purchases an upgrade is somehow less valid to receive the
> SA than someone who purchases the full retail. We all bought the full
> product at some point.
> The OEM is only $75 more, it does leave a dirty taste in the mouth
> though.

upgrade from 4.0 -> 4.5->2000 -> 2003

MS Mexico gave some similar crap.