Adding XP Pro Client

Post by Mike » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 23:32:40

Are there detailed steps to adding an XP client to my SBS
2k domain?  Should I just use the client add diskette?

Please advise.

Adding XP Pro Client

Post by Edward Le » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 23:45:03

http://www.sbs2000.info/windows_xp.htm has some info. There are two links
under the "How do I add XP client to SBS" section. As far as I could tell,
the first link (Windows 2000 client quick install guide) does not contain
the information about configuring the client manually. I think you need to
look at the full white paper. I do have an XP client working, so if this
doesn't help, let me know and I can try to give you more details about what
I did. BTW, you are using XP Professional, correct?

Ed Lee

Quote:> Are there detailed steps to adding an XP client to my SBS
> 2k domain?  Should I just use the client add diskette?

> Please advise.

Adding XP Pro Client

Post by Mike » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 03:10:39

Ed:

Thanks for the reply.  I am using XP Pro.  The link for
the white paper concerns Win 2k Pro.

Any other sources of information?

Mike

Adding XP Pro Client

Post by Edward Le » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 10:30:36

I think that adding the XP client to the SBS domain is nearly identical to
Win 2000. On the server, I setup a new client using wizard from the to-do
list (no need to create a client disk at the end of this). If you are
prompted to specify which software to install on the client, you should
probably deselect fax client and firewall client.

On the client, I think it's Control Panel > System > Network ID and then
enter the computer name (as you specified it on the server) and domain. You
should then get prompted for the username and password of someone with
rights to add a computer - which I assume you have.

Assuming there is no software set to be automatically installed, you should
be connected to the domain the next you log on.

Assuming you are using ISA Server, entering the proxy server settings
(probably your http://you_server_name and port 8080) in IE should get you on
the Internet. I'm not sure what, if any, functionality you lose when doing
this rather than installing the Firewall Client.

Mariette's website should help with installing the fax client. If your
system has a modem, the XP fax software is most likely installed already. If
not, you need to do this. Once you have the software installed, use Add
Printer to connect to the SBS shared fax much as you would for any other
shared printer on the network. As Mareitte points out, you need to disable
(permanently) the fax service on the XP client if it is currently running.

I hope this is helpful and I hope that the information is accurate. I'm
recalling this from memory with no XP client in front of me. Hopefully the
other folks on this group that are so much more knowledgeable than me will
correct me if I am wrong.

Ed Lee

> Ed:

> Thanks for the reply.  I am using XP Pro.  The link for
> the white paper concerns Win 2k Pro.

> Any other sources of information?

> Mike

1. XP Pro Client Add Problems Continue

I apologize in advance if I should have appended this to
the previous thread.  Let me know if that is proper
etiquette.  Thanks to all of you for your input earlier,
but the problem still remains.

SBS 2000 server with 5 workstations, 3 are XP Pro.  2 XP
Pro clients joined flawlessly.  One client will not join
the network.  I am not using the "magic" disk.  I have
tried everything but throwing it out the window.

All checks with ipconfig, release, renew, etc. give me the
proper assigned addresses from the server, except DNS
suffix.  When DNS suffix is locked in at client, still no
result.  Ping back and forth both name and IP address.
When IP address set as static, no result.  The computer
simply will not join.  Have reinstalled OS TWICE (ask
Dell, I don't know!?!)  Still nothing.  Any more
recommendations.  Thanks,
Jeff

2. what is -D_HPUX_SOURCE when compiling?

3. XP PRO cannot see LAN but LAN machines can see XP PRO

4. SystemIO.Filenotfound.Exception

5. adding XP-PRO to SBS 4.5

6. RMON "programming" information

7. problems adding a web folder using XP pro

8. frs

9. W2K Pro or XP Pro?

10. Adding XP clients to SBS server using client set up disks.

11. XP-Pro Clients corrupt word files

12. Can't connect a XP-Pro (SP2)-client to SBS2003-Domain

13. Win XP Pro clients in 2000 domain