This server has a trust relationship

Post by Steven Zhu [MSF » Thu, 20 Jul 2006 18:10:44

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your email and new information.

From your screenshot of the setup error message, I find the "This server
has a trust relationship with rpco.local" error message. Please note the
following restriction in Windows SBS 2003:

* Only one computer in a domain can be running Windows Small Business
Server 2003.
* Windows Small Business Server 2003 must be the root of the Active
Directory forest.
* Windows Small Business Server 2003 cannot trust any other domains.
* A Windows Small Business Server 2003 domain cannot have any child domains.

Based on current information, I suggest you perform a system reinstall on
the additional domain controller in the existing domain, please refer to
the following steps:

How to install Small Business Server 2003 in an existing Active Directory
domain
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884453/en-us

I hope the above information helps.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Steven Zhu
MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support
PLEASE NOTE the newsgroup SECURE CODE and PASSWORD were
updated on February 14, 2006.? Please complete a re-registration process
by entering the secure code mmpng06 when prompted. Once you have
entered the secure code mmpng06, you will be able to update your profile
and access the partner newsgroups.
that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

This server has a trust relationship

Post by Quo Vadi » Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:37:01

Steven,

Please review my earlier posts. This SBS server is the ONLY domain
controller. There are two servers, this one, which has all five FSMO roles,
and one other, which is NOT a DC.

We are stuck in the same place since the day of the install. We cannot
continue setup even though we have followed every article to the letter.

Joseph

> Hi Joseph,

> Thanks for your email and new information.

> From your screenshot of the setup error message, I find the "This server
> has a trust relationship with rpco.local" error message. Please note the
> following restriction in Windows SBS 2003:

> * Only one computer in a domain can be running Windows Small Business
> Server 2003.
> * Windows Small Business Server 2003 must be the root of the Active
> Directory forest.
> * Windows Small Business Server 2003 cannot trust any other domains.
> * A Windows Small Business Server 2003 domain cannot have any child domains.

> Based on current information, I suggest you perform a system reinstall on
> the additional domain controller in the existing domain, please refer to
> the following steps:

> How to install Small Business Server 2003 in an existing Active Directory
> domain

> I hope the above information helps.

> Have a nice day.

> Best Regards,

> Steven Zhu
> MCSE
> Microsoft Online Partner Support
> PLEASE NOTE the newsgroup SECURE CODE and PASSWORD were
> updated on February 14, 2006.? Please complete a re-registration process
> by entering the secure code mmpng06 when prompted. Once you have
> entered the secure code mmpng06, you will be able to update your profile
> and access the partner newsgroups.
> that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

This server has a trust relationship

Post by Steven Zhu [MSF » Fri, 21 Jul 2006 18:35:25

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your update.

From your earlier reply, I understand that you install the new DC instead
the old DC, Exchange is working. Mailboxes migrated well. Now, when you try
installing Windows SBS on the old server, you get the "This server has a
trust relationship with rpco.local" error message. If I am off base, please
feel free to let me know.

Based on my knowledge, I suggest you format the old server before you
install Windows SBS. Because the Active Directory information may store in
the server, and when you re-install it, the Windows SBS installation
process finds the AD info, so you get the "This server has a trust
relationship with rpco.local" error message.

I hope the above information helps.

Have a good day.

Best Regards,

Steven Zhu
MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support
PLEASE NOTE the newsgroup SECURE CODE and PASSWORD were
updated on February 14, 2006.? Please complete a re-registration process
by entering the secure code mmpng06 when prompted. Once you have
entered the secure code mmpng06, you will be able to update your profile
and access the partner newsgroups.
that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

This server has a trust relationship

Post by Quo Vadi » Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:49:01

No sir, I think we've gotten off track. Let's start again.

Old Environment: One SBS 2003 Server (SERVER1).
New Environment: A brand NEW SBS 2003 Server (SERVER2) plus the newly
formatted OLD SBS 2003 Server, renamed SERVER3.

Steps taken to migrate:
1. Add a temp server to the domain running Exchange.
2. Migrate the mailboxes to the temp Exchange server.
3. Install SBS disk 1 on the new server (SERVER2).
4. After SBS setup got to the Desktop and had the Continue Setup icon
created, we added it to the domain.
5. We ran DCPromo and made SERVER2 a DC with SERVER1.
6. We transferred all the FSMO roles gracefully. None had to be seized.
7. We then ran DCPromo on SERVER1 and demoted it.
8. We then removed SERVER1 from the domain and formatted it.
9. We installed Server 2003 (not SBS) on the newly formatted SERVER1 and
renamed it SERVER3.
10. We then ran the SBS Continue Setup icon on SERVER2 and received the
error indicating there was a trust relationship.

11. To get around the error temporarily, we chose to run SBS setup disk 2 to
get Exchange installed on SERVER2.
12. We migrated the mailboxes from the temp Exchange server to SERVER2.
13. We then added SERVER3 as a member server to the domain.

We are still stuck, unable to complete the SBS setup on SERVER2. It is the
only DC. It is the only SBS server. It has all five FSMO roles. However, we
have no means of managing the SBS server because we cannot complete the SBS
setup.

> Hi Joseph,

> Thanks for your update.

> From your earlier reply, I understand that you install the new DC instead
> the old DC, Exchange is working. Mailboxes migrated well. Now, when you try
> installing Windows SBS on the old server, you get the "This server has a
> trust relationship with rpco.local" error message. If I am off base, please
> feel free to let me know.

> Based on my knowledge, I suggest you format the old server before you
> install Windows SBS. Because the Active Directory information may store in
> the server, and when you re-install it, the Windows SBS installation
> process finds the AD info, so you get the "This server has a trust
> relationship with rpco.local" error message.

> I hope the above information helps.

> Have a good day.

> Best Regards,

> Steven Zhu
> MCSE
> Microsoft Online Partner Support
> PLEASE NOTE the newsgroup SECURE CODE and PASSWORD were
> updated on February 14, 2006.? Please complete a re-registration process
> by entering the secure code mmpng06 when prompted. Once you have
> entered the secure code mmpng06, you will be able to update your profile
> and access the partner newsgroups.
> that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

This server has a trust relationship

Post by Steven Zhu [MSF » Sat, 22 Jul 2006 18:34:36

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your new information and detail information.

I understand that you cannot continue setup the SERVER2. Please let me know
whether the original SBS 2003 computer comes preinstalled from an OEM when
you purchased the computer. If so, this is a potential bug, please call CSS
via phone for assistance on this issue.

Customer Support Service (CSS) provides a higher level support than this
newsgroup support environment. Our support professionals can work on with
you more closely, thus since the issue is urgent, submiting a case is the
proper support channel that can help you resolve the issue as soon as
possible.For the CSS contact information, please visit:

http://www.microsoft.com/services/microsoftservices/srv_support.mspx

Meanwhile, please be assured that we are always glad to assist you. Should
you have any other technical questions in the future, please don't hesitate
to let us know by posting in our newsgroups. It's always our pleasure to be
of assistance.

Thank you for you patience and understanding.

Have a good day!

Best Regards,

Steven Zhu
MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support
PLEASE NOTE the newsgroup SECURE CODE and PASSWORD were
updated on February 14, 2006.? Please complete a re-registration process
by entering the secure code mmpng06 when prompted. Once you have
entered the secure code mmpng06, you will be able to update your profile
and access the partner newsgroups.
that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

This server has a trust relationship

Post by Quo Vadi » Sat, 22 Jul 2006 19:21:02

SERVER1 definitely came with an OEM copy of SBS 2003, which was then
installed on SERVER2 when it was purchased. The copy of Server 2003 that came
with SERVER2 (from DELL) was then installed on SERVER1 and it was renamed to
SERVER3.

Both the SBS and Standard Server OS are OEM. Does this match the potential
bug pattern?

> Hi Joseph,

> Thanks for your new information and detail information.

> I understand that you cannot continue setup the SERVER2. Please let me know
> whether the original SBS 2003 computer comes preinstalled from an OEM when
> you purchased the computer. If so, this is a potential bug, please call CSS
> via phone for assistance on this issue.

> Customer Support Service (CSS) provides a higher level support than this
> newsgroup support environment. Our support professionals can work on with
> you more closely, thus since the issue is urgent, submiting a case is the
> proper support channel that can help you resolve the issue as soon as
> possible.For the CSS contact information, please visit:

> http://www.microsoft.com/services/microsoftservices/srv_support.mspx

> Meanwhile, please be assured that we are always glad to assist you. Should
> you have any other technical questions in the future, please don't hesitate
> to let us know by posting in our newsgroups. It's always our pleasure to be
> of assistance.

> Thank you for you patience and understanding.

> Have a good day!

> Best Regards,

> Steven Zhu
> MCSE
> Microsoft Online Partner Support
> PLEASE NOTE the newsgroup SECURE CODE and PASSWORD were
> updated on February 14, 2006.? Please complete a re-registration process
> by entering the secure code mmpng06 when prompted. Once you have
> entered the secure code mmpng06, you will be able to update your profile
> and access the partner newsgroups.
> that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

This server has a trust relationship

Post by Steven Zhu [MSF » Tue, 25 Jul 2006 18:54:35

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your update.

From your description, I understand that the original SBS 2003 computer
comes preinstalled from an OEM (DELL) when you purchased the computer. This
is a potential bug, please call CSS via phone for assistance on this issue.

Customer Support Service (CSS) provides a higher level support than this
newsgroup support environment. Our support professionals can work on with
you more closely, thus since the issue is urgent, submitting a case is the
proper support channel that can help you resolve the issue as soon as
possible. For the CSS contact information, please visit:

http://www.microsoft.com/services/microsoftservices/srv_support.mspx

If you have any other technical questions in the future, please don't
hesitate to let us know by posting in our newsgroups. It's always our
pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks and have a great day.

Best Regards,

Steven Zhu
MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support
PLEASE NOTE the newsgroup SECURE CODE and PASSWORD were
updated on February 14, 2006.? Please complete a re-registration process
by entering the secure code mmpng06 when prompted. Once you have
entered the secure code mmpng06, you will be able to update your profile
and access the partner newsgroups.
that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

This server has a trust relationship

Post by Jeff Middleton [SBS-MVP » Sat, 29 Jul 2006 07:08:17

It appears to me that this entire thread has been misdiagnosed from the
get-go, and as far as I can tell it's not yet been identified in this thread
(but it's a pretty long thread.  :)  This is what the original problem was:

Error message when you try to reinstall Windows SBS 2003 in an existing
domain: "This server has a trust relationship with <Domain_name.local>"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;909639

That KB is horribly indexed and is hard to find in a search.

Because the process of Swing Migration is one that I support and MS doesn't,
I'm quite familiar with this issue and how to work around it, in addition to
the point that MS CSS can assist you. The difference is that I support the
entire project of replaceing the server, and CSS will support fixing that
block. You can review background information on this at my website
www.SBSmigration.com .

- Jeff Middleton SBS-MVP

Quote:> Hi Joseph,