This server has a trust relationship

Post by Quo Vadi » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:18:01

Our old server was dying, so we purchased a new one and installed SBS 2003 up
to the point where the Continue Setup began.

Not wanting to lose the AD info, we added the new server to the existing
domain and promoted it to a DC. When we tried to continue setup it indicated
that the server had a trust relationship with the domain for which it's a DC.

Under pressure to get everything working, we ran the Exchange setup from
Disk 2 and moved the mailboxes over. It's obvious that not all of the SBS
install has happened, since we don't have the Server Management icon on the
Start Menu... and forms-based authentication is not available for OWA.

How do we get the rest of the SBS install to work without losing everything?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Joseph

This server has a trust relationship

Post by Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 11:57:01

This is the information you are looking for
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884453/en-us

  Our old server was dying, so we purchased a new one and installed SBS 2003 up
  to the point where the Continue Setup began.

  Not wanting to lose the AD info, we added the new server to the existing
  domain and promoted it to a DC. When we tried to continue setup it indicated
  that the server had a trust relationship with the domain for which it's a DC.

  Under pressure to get everything working, we ran the Exchange setup from
  Disk 2 and moved the mailboxes over. It's obvious that not all of the SBS
  install has happened, since we don't have the Server Management icon on the
  Start Menu... and forms-based authentication is not available for OWA.

  How do we get the rest of the SBS install to work without losing everything?

  Thanks, in advance, for your help.

  Joseph

This server has a trust relationship

Post by Steven Zhu [MSF » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 18:43:00

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for posting here and thanks for Cris Hanna's suggestions.

Based on my knowledge, I agree with Cris Hanna's suggestion, you can refer
to the following knowledge base article to install Small Business Server
2003 in an existing Active Directory domain:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884453/en-us

Additional, I provide the following steps and knowledge base articles:

0. Make a full backup of the SBS 2003 server.

1. Use Exmerge.exe on the SBS 2003 server to export all mailboxes to PST
files. To do so, you can refer to the following articles:

174197 XADM: Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Merge Program (Exmerge.exe)
Information
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=174197

327304 HOW TO: Use ExMerge to Upgrade to Exchange 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=327304

273642 ExMerge Does Not Work Unless You Have Receive As and Send As
Permissions
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=273642

2. In Outlook at a client computer, create PST files and move all public
folders to the PST files as a backup.

3. Install Windows 2003 on the new server box (you should use a retail
version of Windows 2003 CD, not the SBS CD #1) and join in the SBS domain

4. Run DCPromo and set it up as additional domain controller in the SBS
domain. More info how how to do this:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/pr...
ol/sbs/maintain/addsrvrs.asp

5. Transfer the roles from the old SBS install to the new server. More info
on how to do this:

255690 HOW TO: View and Transfer FSMO Roles in the Graphical User Interface
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=255690

324801 HOW TO: View and Transfer FSMO Roles in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324801

255504 Using Ntdsutil.exe to Seize or Transfer FSMO Roles to a Domain
Controller
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=255504

6. Set the New Server as GC (Global Catalog Server). To set a DC as a GC,
you can follow the steps in the following MS Knowledge Base article:

816105 HOW TO: Create or Move a Global Catalog in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=816105

7. Remove Exchange attributes (not mailbox) from all users by choose the
Exchange Task in "AD User and computers". If you find that you only have
the three items (Delete Mailbox, Move Mailbox and Enable Instant
messages.), you can just ignore them. This step is only to make sure to
remove all other attributes you have configured for users.

8. Stop the Information Store service on Old Server to take the databases
out of use.

9. Stop DHCP on SBS 2003, install DNS (make it AD Integrated so that it
will replicate all DNS information from the SBS server) and DHCP on the new
Windows 2003 server and then configure the DHCP scope the same as SBS 2003.

10. Configure the new server to point to itself for DNS. Configure all the
client computers to point to the new server as DNS. If you are using DHCP
to issue DNS server settings, you should configure your new DHCP server to
reflect the changes.

11. After making sure the clients can successfully, open AD User and
Computers, connect to the new server and remove the SBS 2003 server account
from the Domain Controllers container.

12. Take the old SBS server offline

13. Insert SBS 2003 Disc 1 on the new server to run SBS setup until
finished (be sure the organization information for Exchange is *exactly*
the same as on the old server)

14. Run through your To Do List to get on the client add packs, configure
Internet connection, etc.

15. Apply service packs and patches so the new server will be at the same
update level as the old server

16. Use the exmerge.exe tool to import the mailboxes from the PST files.
For public folders, you can import them in from the PST files in Outlook at
the client side.

17. Use the backup restore procedure for Sharepoint service to move the
content database from old SBS 2K3 to new SBS 2k3. You can follow this
article

829112 How to back up and restore http://companyweb data in Windows Small
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=829112

I hope the above information helps.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Steven Zhu
MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support
PLEASE NOTE the newsgroup SECURE CODE and PASSWORD were
updated on February 14, 2006.? Please complete a re-registration process
by entering the secure code mmpng06 when prompted. Once you have
entered the secure code mmpng06, you will be able to update your profile
and access the partner newsgroups.
that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

This server has a trust relationship

Post by Quo Vadi » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 19:12:02

Thank you Chris. Those are EXACTLY the steps we followed, yet we still have
that one error that comes up: "This server has a trust relationship with
xxx.local."

So we are still stuck, unable to proceed with the installation.

> This is the information you are looking for

This server has a trust relationship

Post by Quo Vadi » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 19:15:02

With one exception (installing SP1 on the new server before proceeding) we
followed the steps in the article given. Exchange is working. Mailboxes
migrated well. The old server is gone... but we cannot complete the first CD
installation, so we don't have the Server Management console and all that
goes with it.

> [...]

> 17. Use the backup restore procedure for Sharepoint service to move the
> content database from old SBS 2K3 to new SBS 2k3. You can follow this
> article

> 829112 How to back up and restore http://companyweb data in Windows Small
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=829112

> I hope the above information helps.

> Have a nice day.

> Best Regards,

> Steven Zhu
> MCSE
> Microsoft Online Partner Support
> PLEASE NOTE the newsgroup SECURE CODE and PASSWORD were
> updated on February 14, 2006.? Please complete a re-registration process
> by entering the secure code mmpng06 when prompted. Once you have
> entered the secure code mmpng06, you will be able to update your profile
> and access the partner newsgroups.
> that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

Post by SBS-MV » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 01:29:34

Have you tried seizing the FSMO roles?  Is your new server a DNS and Global Catalog server as well?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504/en-us

--
Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]
--------------------------------------

  Thank you Chris. Those are EXACTLY the steps we followed, yet we still have
  that one error that comes up: "This server has a trust relationship with
  xxx.local."

  So we are still stuck, unable to proceed with the installation.

  > This is the information you are looking for

This server has a trust relationship

Post by Quo Vadi » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 01:59:02

We moved all the FSMO roles to the new server without having to seize any. It
was a beautiful transition. I was actually shocked that the Setup wouldn't
continue. Let me reiterate the current situation AND thank you for assisting
Chris. We appreciate it VERY much.

The roles were transferred. The mailboxes were moved to temporary Exchange
server. The new server was made a Global Catalog. The Global Catalog was
removed from the old server. We made a test user on the old server and
watched it appear in the AD on the new server, confirming transfer of the AD
after promoting the new server. We then demoted the old server and removed it
from the domain.

Back on the new server, we Continued Setup and received the Trust
Relationship error, which named the current domain. So we looked for anything
we missed, couldn't find anything, and put in the second CD to install
Exchange.

Exchange installed without issue and we moved the mailboxes from the
temporary Exchange server to the new server. Mail is flowing fine. We then
removed the temporary Exchange server from the domain.

Returning to the new server, we are still unable to complete the setup.

Thanks again for taking the time to help us Chris.

> Have you tried seizing the FSMO roles?  Is your new server a DNS and Global Catalog server as well?

> --
> Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]
> --------------------------------------
> Please do not respond directly to me, but only post in the newsgroup so all can take advantage

>   Thank you Chris. Those are EXACTLY the steps we followed, yet we still have
>   that one error that comes up: "This server has a trust relationship with
>   xxx.local."

>   So we are still stuck, unable to proceed with the installation.

>   > This is the information you are looking for
>   > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884453/en-us

This server has a trust relationship

Post by Steven Zhu [MSF » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 17:33:26

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for taking time to respond.

To troubleshoot this issue, I would like to collect following information.

1. I would like to confirm that the admin console you mean is the SBS
specific Server Management Console.

2. What's the error message that the console cannot be installed?

3. Would you please describe the issue or the operation you performed on
the SBS server more specifically?

4. Please send me the logs in the following folder.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Integration\Windows Small Business Server
2003\Logs

If you have any questions or concerns related to this issue, please let me
know.

I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you.

Have a good day.

Best Regards,

Steven Zhu
MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support
PLEASE NOTE the newsgroup SECURE CODE and PASSWORD were
updated on February 14, 2006.? Please complete a re-registration process
by entering the secure code mmpng06 when prompted. Once you have
entered the secure code mmpng06, you will be able to update your profile
and access the partner newsgroups.
that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

This server has a trust relationship

Post by Quo Vadi » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:01:03

I'm grateful for your help Steven.

1. There is no Server Management link on the Start Menu. I am indeed
speaking of the SBS Server Management Console. It does not exist.

2. When running the shortcut on the Desktop labeled "Continue Setup" the SBS
Setup wizard launches. When clicking Next it displays the Setup Requirements
page, which has 1 info, 4 warning and 1 blocking requirement. The blocking
requirement says, "This server has a trust relationship with xxx.local."
Double-clicking that requirement brings up the Help page instructing us to
open AD Domains & Trusts to remove the relationship. However, none exists.
The domain referenced in the blocking text is the current domain. Our only
option is to cancel setup.

3. We followed the steps in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884453/en-us
 exactly. When continuing setup was not possible, we launched the Exchange
Setup from CD #2 manually.

4. That folder does not exist. There are three folders under Microsoft
Integration: Common Files; Microsoft Exchange; and System32. The first and
last are empty. The Exchange folder does have a log folder in it. I can send
that if it will help.

Thanks again for lending us a hand getting the SBS Setup to continue/complete.

Joseph

> Hi Joseph,

> Thanks for taking time to respond.

> To troubleshoot this issue, I would like to collect following information.

> 1. I would like to confirm that the admin console you mean is the SBS
> specific Server Management Console.

> 2. What's the error message that the console cannot be installed?

> 3. Would you please describe the issue or the operation you performed on
> the SBS server more specifically?

> 4. Please send me the logs in the following folder.

> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Integration\Windows Small Business Server
> 2003\Logs

> If you have any questions or concerns related to this issue, please let me
> know.

> I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you.

> Have a good day.

> Best Regards,

> Steven Zhu
> MCSE
> Microsoft Online Partner Support
> PLEASE NOTE the newsgroup SECURE CODE and PASSWORD were
> updated on February 14, 2006.? Please complete a re-registration process
> by entering the secure code mmpng06 when prompted. Once you have
> entered the secure code mmpng06, you will be able to update your profile
> and access the partner newsgroups.
> that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

This server has a trust relationship

Post by Steven Zhu [MSF » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 18:28:55

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your new information.

Based on my knowledge and current information, please note that the article
KB 884453 does not intend to provide a migration solution. We suggest that
you perform a migration per:

Migrating from Small Business Server 2000 or Windows 2000 Server to Windows
Small Business Server 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sbs/2003/deploy/sbs2k203...

Additional information:

* Only one computer in a domain can be running Windows Small Business
Server 2003.
* Windows Small Business Server 2003 must be the root of the Active
Directory forest.
* Windows Small Business Server 2003 cannot trust any other domains.
* A Windows Small Business Server 2003 domain cannot have any child domains.

Refer to:

General Frequently Asked Questions About Windows Small Business Server 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/techinfo/overview/gene....
mspx

Also, please make sure you finished steps 6-12 in the KB article 884453
before running the Integrated Setup.

I hope the above information helps.

Have a good day.

Best Regards,

Steven Zhu
MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support
PLEASE NOTE the newsgroup SECURE CODE and PASSWORD were
updated on February 14, 2006.? Please complete a re-registration process
by entering the secure code mmpng06 when prompted. Once you have
entered the secure code mmpng06, you will be able to update your profile
and access the partner newsgroups.
that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

This server has a trust relationship

Post by Quo Vadi » Tue, 04 Jul 2006 13:29:01

I'm not trying to migrate. I'm just trying to finish the SBS install, which
right now is being held up by one incorrect item in the setup checks. It
thinks it has a Trust Relationship, which it does not have.

Do I need to pay for a support incident?

> Hi Joseph,

> Thanks for your new information.

> Based on my knowledge and current information, please note that the article
> KB 884453 does not intend to provide a migration solution. We suggest that
> you perform a migration per:

> Migrating from Small Business Server 2000 or Windows 2000 Server to Windows
> Small Business Server 2003
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sbs/2003/deploy/sbs2k203...

> Additional information:

> * Only one computer in a domain can be running Windows Small Business
> Server 2003.
> * Windows Small Business Server 2003 must be the root of the Active
> Directory forest.
> * Windows Small Business Server 2003 cannot trust any other domains.
> * A Windows Small Business Server 2003 domain cannot have any child domains.

> Refer to:

> General Frequently Asked Questions About Windows Small Business Server 2003
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/techinfo/overview/gene....
> mspx

> Also, please make sure you finished steps 6-12 in the KB article 884453
> before running the Integrated Setup.

> I hope the above information helps.

> Have a good day.

> Best Regards,

> Steven Zhu
> MCSE
> Microsoft Online Partner Support
> PLEASE NOTE the newsgroup SECURE CODE and PASSWORD were
> updated on February 14, 2006.? Please complete a re-registration process
> by entering the secure code mmpng06 when prompted. Once you have
> entered the secure code mmpng06, you will be able to update your profile
> and access the partner newsgroups.
> that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

This server has a trust relationship

Post by Steven Zhu [MSF » Tue, 04 Jul 2006 18:28:31

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your reply.

Could you please let me know the exact error message? Please make a screen

A. Press Alt + Pr Scrn to capture a screen shot.
B. From Start, go to Run, enter pbrush in the Open box, and then click OK.
C. Use Ctrl + V to paste the screen shot to the canvas.
D. From the File menu, go to Save and save as a JPG file.

Also, have you finished steps 6-12 in the KB article 884453 before running
the Integrated Setup? For more information, please refer to the following:

How to install Small Business Server 2003 in an existing Active Directory
domain
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884453/en-us

Please run the MPSReport utility and send me the output CAB file for
analysis. The MPSReport utility is available at:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/b/1/bb139fcb-4aac-4fe5-a579-...
15706/MPSRPT_DirSvc.EXE

Please let me know the above info so that I can provide the further
assistance on this issue. I am looking forward to your reply.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Steven Zhu
MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support
PLEASE NOTE the newsgroup SECURE CODE and PASSWORD were
updated on February 14, 2006.? Please complete a re-registration process
by entering the secure code mmpng06 when prompted. Once you have
entered the secure code mmpng06, you will be able to update your profile
and access the partner newsgroups.
that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

This server has a trust relationship

Post by Quo Vadi » Wed, 19 Jul 2006 00:48:02

Steven,

I have emailed you with the picture requested, and where I have placed the
CAB file for you to download. You are welcome to RDP the server, if that will
be helpful to you.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Joseph

> Hi Joseph,

> Thanks for your reply.

> Could you please let me know the exact error message? Please make a screen

> A. Press Alt + Pr Scrn to capture a screen shot.
> B. From Start, go to Run, enter pbrush in the Open box, and then click OK.
> C. Use Ctrl + V to paste the screen shot to the canvas.
> D. From the File menu, go to Save and save as a JPG file.

> Also, have you finished steps 6-12 in the KB article 884453 before running
> the Integrated Setup? For more information, please refer to the following:

> How to install Small Business Server 2003 in an existing Active Directory
> domain

> Please run the MPSReport utility and send me the output CAB file for
> analysis. The MPSReport utility is available at:

> http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/b/1/bb139fcb-4aac-4fe5-a579-...
> 15706/MPSRPT_DirSvc.EXE

> Please let me know the above info so that I can provide the further
> assistance on this issue. I am looking forward to your reply.

> Have a nice day.

> Best Regards,

> Steven Zhu
> MCSE
> Microsoft Online Partner Support
> PLEASE NOTE the newsgroup SECURE CODE and PASSWORD were
> updated on February 14, 2006.? Please complete a re-registration process
> by entering the secure code mmpng06 when prompted. Once you have
> entered the secure code mmpng06, you will be able to update your profile
> and access the partner newsgroups.
> that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

This server has a trust relationship

Post by Steven Zhu [MSF » Wed, 19 Jul 2006 16:05:12

Hi Joseph,

It was nice to hear from you again.

Unfortunately, I don't receive any email from you. Please make sure you

send the MPSReport CAB file to me via email. The follow is my previous
reply:

[...]

Thanks and have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Steven Zhu
MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support
PLEASE NOTE the newsgroup SECURE CODE and PASSWORD were
updated on February 14, 2006.? Please complete a re-registration process
by entering the secure code mmpng06 when prompted. Once you have
entered the secure code mmpng06, you will be able to update your profile
and access the partner newsgroups.
that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

This server has a trust relationship

Post by Quo Vadi » Wed, 19 Jul 2006 22:36:01

I resent the message after splitting the CAB file up. Please let me know if
you receive it.