Change Password at Next Logon

Post by mare » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 21:07:01

Hi... again...

Anyone know why when I tell my clients (9x) that they
have to change their password at next logon - it brings
up a box when they logon saying password expired - then
spits them back to the logon prompt - no actual option to
change their password - thus preventing users from
logging on??

It's a great feature :)

Marek

Change Password at Next Logon

Post by Les Connor [SBS MVP » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 02:06:27

Marek,

W9x boxes are a pita for not-so-savvy users. There is the users local
password, and then there is the users domain password. If they get out of
synch then your reluctant user may just give up.

If you can log onto the box with the username/password (local), then
hopefully you can go to control panel and set both passwords to be the same.

--
Les Connor
------------------

Quote:> Hi... again...

> Anyone know why when I tell my clients (9x) that they
> have to change their password at next logon - it brings
> up a box when they logon saying password expired - then
> spits them back to the logon prompt - no actual option to
> change their password - thus preventing users from
> logging on??

> It's a great feature :)

> Marek

Change Password at Next Logon

Post by Chris Leech, MC » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 05:53:06

even better than that - when you log into a workstation for the first time,
enter your domain username and password as normal- then when prompted for
your Windows password leave both boxes blank. Password synching problems
never happen after this since Windows seems to forget that there is such a
thing as a local password.

If your passwords do ever get out of synch or want to make use of this
method, just delete the appropriate '.pwl' file on the local workstation.

--
Chris Leech, MCP

> Marek,

> W9x boxes are a pita for not-so-savvy users. There is the users local
> password, and then there is the users domain password. If they get out of
> synch then your reluctant user may just give up.

> If you can log onto the box with the username/password (local), then
> hopefully you can go to control panel and set both passwords to be the
same.

> --
> Les Connor
> ------------------
> [SBS MVP]

> > Hi... again...

> > Anyone know why when I tell my clients (9x) that they
> > have to change their password at next logon - it brings
> > up a box when they logon saying password expired - then
> > spits them back to the logon prompt - no actual option to
> > change their password - thus preventing users from
> > logging on??

> > It's a great feature :)

> > Marek

Change Password at Next Logon

Post by Les Connor [SBS MVP » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 06:19:43

Chris, good tip!.

While I can still remember some of the problems with w9x client boxes, I
happily can't remember very many of the solutions or whatever one may call
them :-).

--
Les Connor
------------------

> even better than that - when you log into a workstation for the first
time,
> enter your domain username and password as normal- then when prompted for
> your Windows password leave both boxes blank. Password synching problems
> never happen after this since Windows seems to forget that there is such a
> thing as a local password.

> If your passwords do ever get out of synch or want to make use of this
> method, just delete the appropriate '.pwl' file on the local workstation.

> --
> Chris Leech, MCP

> > Marek,

> > W9x boxes are a pita for not-so-savvy users. There is the users local
> > password, and then there is the users domain password. If they get out
of
> > synch then your reluctant user may just give up.

> > If you can log onto the box with the username/password (local), then
> > hopefully you can go to control panel and set both passwords to be the
> same.

> > --
> > Les Connor
> > ------------------
> > [SBS MVP]

> > > Hi... again...

> > > Anyone know why when I tell my clients (9x) that they
> > > have to change their password at next logon - it brings
> > > up a box when they logon saying password expired - then
> > > spits them back to the logon prompt - no actual option to
> > > change their password - thus preventing users from
> > > logging on??

> > > It's a great feature :)

> > > Marek

Change Password at Next Logon

Post by Mare » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 08:59:22

Always set 9x local passwords as nothing... doesn't seem to be a conflict
there... :

Set SBS so user must Change Password at next logon.
At client machine - login.
Message Box with large red x appears that says "Your Password Has Expired"
and has an ok option. That's all.
Hit that - takes you back to the login to domain box with username /
password / domain...
Doesn't even get to the local password option... just loops back to the
domain password - but won't let me change it....
argh!

> Chris, good tip!.

> While I can still remember some of the problems with w9x client boxes, I
> happily can't remember very many of the solutions or whatever one may call
> them :-).

> --
> Les Connor
> ------------------
> [SBS MVP]

> > even better than that - when you log into a workstation for the first
> time,
> > enter your domain username and password as normal- then when prompted
for
> > your Windows password leave both boxes blank. Password synching problems
> > never happen after this since Windows seems to forget that there is such
> > thing as a local password.

> > If your passwords do ever get out of synch or want to make use of this
> > method, just delete the appropriate '.pwl' file on the local
workstation.

> > --
> > Chris Leech, MCP

> > > Marek,

> > > W9x boxes are a pita for not-so-savvy users. There is the users local
> > > password, and then there is the users domain password. If they get out
> of
> > > synch then your reluctant user may just give up.

> > > If you can log onto the box with the username/password (local), then
> > > hopefully you can go to control panel and set both passwords to be the
> > same.

> > > --
> > > Les Connor
> > > ------------------
> > > [SBS MVP]

1. Changing a user password who has 'Change Password at next Logon' flagged

Hi,

I'm trying to change the password of a user using VB and ADSI with the
LDAP provider. The VB is built as a COM component and running as a
server application and has an identity set to a user account with
administrative rights.
The method call is from an ASP page where a user types in the relevant
information to change their password.

My code in brief is as below :

    strUserPath = "LDAP://" & strDomain & "/CN=" & UserName & "," &
strContainer
    Set objUser = GetObject(strUserPath)

    objUser.ChangePassword OldPassword, NewPassword

which results in the following error :

    Error Number : -2147023545 (0x80070547)

    Description : Automation error

    Configuration information could not be read from the domain
controller,     either because the machine is unavailable, or access
has been denied.

The security error that occurs on the DC is as follows :

Event Type:     Failure Audit
Event Source:   Security
Event Category: Account Logon
Event ID:       681
Date:           04/02/2003
Time:           10:12:47
User:           NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:       CRISDVLPDC
The logon to account: 100099
 by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
 from workstation: GBCRISS193
 failed. The error code was: 3221226020

The error code translates to User Logon with 'Change Password at Next
Logon' Flagged.

This works no problem with the WinNT provider but I have to use the
LDAP provider.

Any thoughts or suggestions are most welcome

Paul Jackson

2. Bizzare Modem Problem

3. change password at next logon - question

4. Pocket Mirror

5. user must change password at next logon want to get(retrevie)data about thisattr

6. UCursor::SetWatch()

7. Setting change password on next logon

8. JOB: AUTOMATED TESTING TOOLS / SAN FRAN <<----

9. User Must Change Password at Next Logon

10. User must change password at next logon

11. Setting "User must change password at next logon"

12. Using ADSI to set "User must change password at next logon"

13. Getting User must change password at next logon with C#