Advice on configuring Remote Office

Post by Gene O'Brie » Fri, 07 Jul 2006 07:59:02

Hi,
I've got a client with a small business office running SBS2003 with 3 client
computers.  The customer is opening a remote office that will have 2 more
client computers and a Server 2003 server.  There will be no direct
connection between the offices, but both will be on public DSL connections
(static IP is an option if we need it).

We want the Server 2003 machine to be in the same domain as the SBS2003 box,
have all the clients log in to the same resources, and have clients at both
offices be able to access data files on the SBS2003 box (i.e. open an
application in the remote office, where the app is loaded locally, but the
data file resides on SBS2003 in the main office).

What's the best approach to this?  I'm guessing some sort of VPN connection,
but this is a new area for me.  Til now, i've done all stand-alone offices.

Advice?

Advice on configuring Remote Office

Post by Merv Porter [SBS-MVP » Fri, 07 Jul 2006 11:24:04

Hi Gene,

It may be best to ask this question in the SBS 2003 newsgroup:
microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

VPN is going to chew up a lot of bandwidth and the end user experience for
the remote office may not be satisfactory if you're attempting to move large
data files over the VPN connection.

If you have a reliable DSL connection, I'd consider moving the Windows 2003
server from the remote office to the main office, turn it into a Terminal
Server (a member server in the same domain as the SBS), then all users
(including those in the main office) log into the Terminal Server for access
to the SBS and its domain resources.  Access to the Terminal Server could be
through Remote Web Workplace for remote office workstations.

Centralized data storage, centralized backup, centralized administration,
very small remote access bandwidth requirements (about 30k/workstation).
Again the key is stable (uptime) broadband connections.

--
Merv  Porter  [SBS MVP]
===================================

Quote:> Hi,
> I've got a client with a small business office running SBS2003 with 3
> client
> computers.  The customer is opening a remote office that will have 2 more
> client computers and a Server 2003 server.  There will be no direct
> connection between the offices, but both will be on public DSL connections
> (static IP is an option if we need it).

> We want the Server 2003 machine to be in the same domain as the SBS2003
> box,
> have all the clients log in to the same resources, and have clients at
> both
> offices be able to access data files on the SBS2003 box (i.e. open an
> application in the remote office, where the app is loaded locally, but the
> data file resides on SBS2003 in the main office).

> What's the best approach to this?  I'm guessing some sort of VPN
> connection,
> but this is a new area for me.  Til now, i've done all stand-alone
> offices.

> Advice?

1. Performance of remote office link to main office

We need to link a remote office (12person) <1mile to the main office which
runs SBS4.5 50-user.
Reading these posts and talking with suppliers it seems that we can link
them with ISDN (already present in both) and they will both appear on same
LAN. The local exchange does not offer ADSL yet.

Is 64k (or even 128k) feasible to use Windows apps (Outlook, Word and
Excel)? My experience of using pcAnyWhere and Netmeeting over dialup is OK
for support, but too slow for users - they will keep clicking when things
don't happen at once. And these only transfer screens, keystrokes etc. But
then maybe the screen refreshes are the slow bits and a full client running
Word etc. locally is much better? And would Terminal Server at the main
office be much better?

Another option suggested was ISDN to ISP with always on plan to VPN through
existing 64k leased line and firewall in main office.

The total users will soon exceed 50 and it is time to upgrade to W2k server
on new machine. Also this is a short term solution as the whole company will
move to one site in a year or so. My own feeling, and from reading these
posts, is that one main server is better, or is it better to keep SBS4.5 in
main office and have second W2k in remote?

Another thing of course is the internal phones. Can they be connected by the
same means?

I'm confused. Have you real experience of various options, and which is
acceptable to normal impatient users over slow connections? Also which
option is most effective and economical in hardware and licensing costs.

Michael Burnford

2. To get a flat blank area ... steps please!

3. Advice ref Branch Office Setup

4. A totaly non FP problem

5. Migrating / Upgrading Entire Office - Advice sought

6. Power Objects edit Control

7. Migrating / Upgrading entire office to 2000 - Advice?

8. Truboprint6, 7 & HP5L, HP6L

9. Advice please - Main office running SBS2000 with internet connection want to add remote home-office with internet connection

10. How I do to configure a common logon script using Small Back Office

11. Remote server setup advice, please

12. Need remote access setup advice...SBS2000

13. Remote client email advice needed