Problems running Terminal Server with Win 2000 server and SBS 2000

Problems running Terminal Server with Win 2000 server and SBS 2000

Post by Steve Foster [SBS MVP » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 18:20:09

SBS can be the licensing server, no problem.

SBS does support TS, it's just a very very bad idea.

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
---------------------------------------

> Hi,

> Please see the attached .pdf-file...

> We have both a Windows 2000 Server and a Windows 2000 SBS.
> The 2K-server is being setup to run Windows Terminal
> Server. Hovever, the Licence Server must run on the Domain
> Server. According to MS, if you have a SBS, this *must* be
> the Domain Server. However, SBS doesn't support WTS... :-(

> Question: While the WTS is residing on the 2000 Server,
> where can I place the WTS License Server?

> Thanks a lot in advance!

> /Hans

---

Post by Hans » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 16:57:58

Hi,

Please see the attached .pdf-file...

We have both a Windows 2000 Server and a Windows 2000 SBS.
The 2K-server is being setup to run Windows Terminal
Server. Hovever, the Licence Server must run on the Domain
Server. According to MS, if you have a SBS, this *must* be
the Domain Server. However, SBS doesn't support WTS... :-(

Question: While the WTS is residing on the 2000 Server,
where can I place the WTS License Server?

Thanks a lot in advance!

/Hans

  The Setup.pdf
57K Download

Problems running Terminal Server with Win 2000 server and SBS 2000

Post by Hans » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 19:04:20

Thanks for your reply!

I just very much indeed would like to be enlightened - why
it's such a bad idea to run the WTS Licensing Server on
the SBS? (Yes I know, max. 50 connections...)

If possible I intend to run the 'real' WTS on the 2000
Server and just the WTS Licensing Server on the SBS.

Do you think that's possible at all?

Thanks!

/Hans.

newsgroups.

>> Hi,

>> Please see the attached .pdf-file...

>> We have both a Windows 2000 Server and a Windows 2000
SBS.
>> The 2K-server is being setup to run Windows Terminal
>> Server. Hovever, the Licence Server must run on the
Domain
>> Server. According to MS, if you have a SBS, this *must*
be
>> the Domain Server. However, SBS doesn't support
WTS... :-(

>> Question: While the WTS is residing on the 2000 Server,
>> where can I place the WTS License Server?

>> Thanks a lot in advance!

>> /Hans

>---
17/10/2002

>.

Problems running Terminal Server with Win 2000 server and SBS 2000

Post by Steve Foster [SBS MVP » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 20:12:58

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you. There are no problems with running
the licensing on the SBS (in fact, it's obligatory) - it's running the
whole TS enchilada on the SBS that's bad.

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
---------------------------------------

> Thanks for your reply!

> I just very much indeed would like to be enlightened - why
> it's such a bad idea to run the WTS Licensing Server on
> the SBS? (Yes I know, max. 50 connections...)

> If possible I intend to run the 'real' WTS on the 2000
> Server and just the WTS Licensing Server on the SBS.

> Do you think that's possible at all?

> Thanks!

> /Hans.

---

1. Win 2000 Server & SQL 2000 Server vs. SBS 2000

Hello,

I have very limited knowledge of SBS.  We are rolling out a new product line
to our customer base.  This will involve migrating from Novell to Win 2000
Server/SQL 2000 Server OR SBS 2000.  90% of our customers will not have more
than 20 users or more than 1 server.  We do not want to configure or support
any additional modules/servers (Exchange, IIS, etc.).  The only reason I
know of that we are considering SBS 2000 is price.

What are the pros/cons of each of these?

Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

TIA

2. QUESTION: Palm 4 letter creator codes (e.g.DTGP)

3. Win 2000 to Win 2000 Advanced Server

4. Psion 5mx and Nokia nk702 (Nokia 5130)

5. SBS 4.5 and Win 2000 terminal server

6. W2K setup disk unable to see partitions

7. Old SBS 2000 Server to New SBS 2000 Server

8. Buying SGI 320NT - unique request

9. Migrate from SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 server + Exchange 2000 (NOT SBS 2000).

10. Add Win 2000 server to an existing SBS 2000 environment

11. SBS 2000 migration to Win 2000 server

12. Upgrading SBS 2000 to Win 2000 Server

13. Second Win 2000 server together with SBS 2000