Folder security

Post by CharlieWatt » Mon, 16 Sep 2002 12:16:12

To restrict access to "Folderb" in SBS I created a new global security group
"testaccess" inserting the relevant members.

On share permissionsof "Folderb" I left full access to to everyone. On the
security ACL  I removed "everyone" and granted "testaccess" full control.

Members within testaccess cannot access to "Folderb" but can if I enter them
individually to the acl rather than a group.

I have completed this countless times on NT... I

any help would be appreciated

Charlie

Folder security

Post by Mal Osborn » Mon, 16 Sep 2002 16:29:41

If I understand correctly what you are doing, it sounds OK to me.  2000
behaves just like NT4.0 in this regard.  A few checks:

1. Check that the group is a security group, not a distribution group.
2. If you have several servers, it may take a little while for AD to
replicate changes over to other DCs.  Wait 10 Mins and try again.
3. Try logging the user off and on again after adding them to the group.

Mal Osborne
MCSE MVP Mensa

Quote:> To restrict access to "Folderb" in SBS I created a new global security
group
> "testaccess" inserting the relevant members.

> On share permissionsof "Folderb" I left full access to to everyone. On the
> security ACL  I removed "everyone" and granted "testaccess" full control.

> Members within testaccess cannot access to "Folderb" but can if I enter
them
> individually to the acl rather than a group.

> I have completed this countless times on NT... I

> any help would be appreciated

> Charlie

Folder security

Post by Rick Hann » Mon, 16 Sep 2002 18:25:16

Chers Mal,
Nope everything is ok...  group is a security group and its a single SBS
box...tried logging in again no go.

> If I understand correctly what you are doing, it sounds OK to me.  2000
> behaves just like NT4.0 in this regard.  A few checks:

> 1. Check that the group is a security group, not a distribution group.
> 2. If you have several servers, it may take a little while for AD to
> replicate changes over to other DCs.  Wait 10 Mins and try again.
> 3. Try logging the user off and on again after adding them to the group.

> Mal Osborne
> MCSE MVP Mensa

> > To restrict access to "Folderb" in SBS I created a new global security
> group
> > "testaccess" inserting the relevant members.

> > On share permissionsof "Folderb" I left full access to to everyone. On
the
> > security ACL  I removed "everyone" and granted "testaccess" full
control.

> > Members within testaccess cannot access to "Folderb" but can if I enter
> them
> > individually to the acl rather than a group.

> > I have completed this countless times on NT... I

> > any help would be appreciated

> > Charlie

Folder security

Post by Kath » Mon, 16 Sep 2002 19:29:22

You didn't accidentally deny everyone instead of removing the group?

> Chers Mal,
> Nope everything is ok...  group is a security group and its a single SBS
> box...tried logging in again no go.

> > If I understand correctly what you are doing, it sounds OK to me.  2000
> > behaves just like NT4.0 in this regard.  A few checks:

> > 1. Check that the group is a security group, not a distribution group.
> > 2. If you have several servers, it may take a little while for AD to
> > replicate changes over to other DCs.  Wait 10 Mins and try again.
> > 3. Try logging the user off and on again after adding them to the group.

> > Mal Osborne
> > MCSE MVP Mensa

> > > To restrict access to "Folderb" in SBS I created a new global security
> > group
> > > "testaccess" inserting the relevant members.

> > > On share permissionsof "Folderb" I left full access to to everyone. On
> the
> > > security ACL  I removed "everyone" and granted "testaccess" full
> control.

> > > Members within testaccess cannot access to "Folderb" but can if I
enter
> > them
> > > individually to the acl rather than a group.

> > > I have completed this countless times on NT... I

> > > any help would be appreciated

> > > Charlie

Folder security

Post by CharlieWatt » Mon, 16 Sep 2002 21:59:19

 A bit of patience was required, something I lack (according to the missus)

Thanks all