Need remote access setup advice...SBS2000

Need remote access setup advice...SBS2000

Post by JoeMc » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 00:54:29

Hi there,

We have 2 offices in dif locations...30 miles apart.  Location 1 is running
a small network w/o a server (peer to peer win 98 boxes) with a netgear
FVS318 VPN firewall router to a static DSL line.  Location 2 is running SBS
2000 with 12 users (Win 98, 2000, and XP), the same router and a static DSL
line.  Can some1 help me find info as to the best way to accomplish this
task?  Remote access?  VPN?  What's best? What works?  ect.....

We want location 1 to access files, email, and data base from the server at
location 2.

JoeMcc

Need remote access setup advice...SBS2000

Post by Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 02:41:08

VPN would absolutely be the best route

--
Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]
Please DO NOT email me directly but respond only in the newsgroup so that all can benefit.

  Hi there,

  We have 2 offices in dif locations...30 miles apart.  Location 1 is running
  a small network w/o a server (peer to peer win 98 boxes) with a netgear
  FVS318 VPN firewall router to a static DSL line.  Location 2 is running SBS
  2000 with 12 users (Win 98, 2000, and XP), the same router and a static DSL
  line.  Can some1 help me find info as to the best way to accomplish this
  task?  Remote access?  VPN?  What's best? What works?  ect.....

  We want location 1 to access files, email, and data base from the server at
  location 2.

  JoeMcc

Need remote access setup advice...SBS2000

Post by JoeMc » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 02:51:33

Have any links to a place to set that up?

JoeMcc

  VPN would absolutely be the best route

  --
  Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]
  Please DO NOT email me directly but respond only in the newsgroup so that all can benefit.

    Hi there,

    We have 2 offices in dif locations...30 miles apart.  Location 1 is running
    a small network w/o a server (peer to peer win 98 boxes) with a netgear
    FVS318 VPN firewall router to a static DSL line.  Location 2 is running SBS
    2000 with 12 users (Win 98, 2000, and XP), the same router and a static DSL
    line.  Can some1 help me find info as to the best way to accomplish this
    task?  Remote access?  VPN?  What's best? What works?  ect.....

    We want location 1 to access files, email, and data base from the server at
    location 2.

    JoeMcc

Need remote access setup advice...SBS2000

Post by Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 04:45:59

for setting up the server
http://www.smallbizserver.net/sbs2000/How_do_I_configure_the_server_f...

for setting up the clients
http://www.smallbizserver.net/sbs2000/How_do_I_connect_clients_to_the...

--
[...]

Post by Darren McElro » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 07:41:40

Alternatively you could use the inbuilt VPN endpoints in the FVS318 Routers to handle the VPN links. Have a look at your config settings of the routers. Relatively easy to setup & use.

[...]

1. New SBS2000 w/ Exchange Setup Advice?

I will be starting my first SBS2000 implementation next week.
We currently have DSL with one IP address. Our e-mail is being hosted
by the ISP, and out outlook retrieves the e-mail via POP3.
We do have a <company_Name>.com address.

What I want to do is to configure Exchange to host our e-mail
internally.

Is there a checklist that someone has created to make this transition
as smooth as possible?

What should I ask of my ISP to change so the Exchange Server starts
receiving the e-mails, to by-pass the ISP?

Do I need to make any changes to my router? (It's a netopia router for
my DSL)

Any advise or watch outs would be appreciated.

Thanks
Alex

2. How to turn off [NUM LOCK] mode

3. SBS2000 Setup advice

4. Remote Printing

5. Need Setup Advice for OE on multiple PCs

6. New motherboard/boot freeze pain

7. Need advice on imternal mail setup

8. A2000 FS, 040/33, ASDG Dual Serial, GVP Series 2 Controller

9. Advice needed on SMS setup and client installation

10. Advice Needed To Setup SAMBA On HPUX

11. Remote server setup advice, please

12. Remote client email advice needed

13. Advice Needed: Locating Clients to Remote Control