Remote server setup advice, please

Post by Gary Karasi » Mon, 11 Sep 2000 04:40:23

A client has asked me to set up a small remote office with an NT server
and a couple of workstations. She then wants the remote-office
workstations to be able to connect via VPN/DSL to the main office SBS4.5
server. Am I correct that the only way this will work is to set up the
remote server as a stand-alone thus setting up the workstations in a
workgroup? I'm guessing that if I instead set up the remote server as a
PDC, then the attached remote workstations will not be able to browse
the network fully because the two PDCs will not talk to each other. Is
this correct?

GaryK

Remote server setup advice, please

Post by Mark Hickinbotha » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Yes. You can only have one PDC in the SBS environment. I think to solve your
problem you can just set up and account with a local provider with DSL and
have the workstations dial in and access the home office via VPN/DSL
connection through the provider. Set up workstations with Win 2000 which is
really great for VPN access.

Quote:> A client has asked me to set up a small remote office with an NT server
> and a couple of workstations. She then wants the remote-office
> workstations to be able to connect via VPN/DSL to the main office SBS4.5
> server. Am I correct that the only way this will work is to set up the
> remote server as a stand-alone thus setting up the workstations in a
> workgroup? I'm guessing that if I instead set up the remote server as a
> PDC, then the attached remote workstations will not be able to browse
> the network fully because the two PDCs will not talk to each other. Is
> this correct?

> GaryK

1. Need remote access setup advice...SBS2000

Hi there,

We have 2 offices in dif locations...30 miles apart.  Location 1 is running
a small network w/o a server (peer to peer win 98 boxes) with a netgear
FVS318 VPN firewall router to a static DSL line.  Location 2 is running SBS
2000 with 12 users (Win 98, 2000, and XP), the same router and a static DSL
line.  Can some1 help me find info as to the best way to accomplish this
task?  Remote access?  VPN?  What's best? What works?  ect.....

We want location 1 to access files, email, and data base from the server at
location 2.

JoeMcc

2. remember this game

3. Upgrading Server from Mirroring to Raid5 - Advice PLEASE!

4. Images in Works spreadsheet

5. Advice on ISA server please

6. 6.5 Development Libraries Conflicts

7. Fax Server and Modem advice please

8. Messenger Plus! 2 beta 015 is out

9. Multihomed server setup - Help required please

10. SMS Remote Tools on Servers - Help Please!

11. Advice on NW - Please don't laugh

12. SBS 4.5 Exchange is broken - MVPs advice please

13. URGENT SECURITY ADVICE NEEDED...PLEASE HELP