MS Exchange databases

Post by Larry Struckmeye » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi David:

Well, you could run the op up to the point where it says apply
or ok, get the names, then stop the process, but it should not
be necessary.

In general, here is what's going on:

Exchange likes more than one PHYSICAL drive for its log and database files.
It prefers to place the log files on one and the databases on the other.

If these are partitions, the only thing gained is space, not security
in case of a drive failure.  The only other possibility from a system
error is my long standing belief that the system/boot partition is the
more likely to be messed up, in that it is the most vulnerable  In that
case you could boot from another drive, or even reformat and reinstall
and your data on the other partitions would still be safe.

So, the best practice would be to have all of exchange on physical drives
other that the boot drive.  Still better would be to have the log files
on one physical drive and the databases on one or more other physical drives
that are not the boot drive.

RAID 5, or mirroring helps sort this out, as the loss of any one drive
will (most likely) not cost you all your stuff.  This does not solve the
potential problem of a real disaster, such as fire, theft or vandalism.

There is another essay to be written here about the relationship between the
log files, the databases and the backups, and if that is the part your are
really interested in, post back and you will get an explanation.  Maybe not
by me, as it is late here :).

Regards:

Larry Struckmeyer

> Hi All

> I have just run Exchange Optimiser which recommended moving some of the
> databases from C: to D:, which I did.  The following is an extract from the
> log:

> Microsoft Exchange Server Private information store file was moved from
> C:\ExchSrvr\MDBDATA to D:\ExchSrvr\MDBDATA
> Microsoft Exchange Server Message Transfer Agent log files was moved from
> C:\ExchSrvr\mtadata to D:\ExchSrvr\mtadata
> Microsoft Exchange Server Public information store file was moved from
> C:\ExchSrvr\MDBDATA to D:\ExchSrvr\MDBDATA
> Microsoft Exchange Server Directory service database file was moved from
> C:\ExchSrvr\DSADATA to D:\ExchSrvr\DSADATA
> Microsoft Exchange Server Internet Mail Service data files was moved from
> C:\ExchSrvr\imcdata to D:\ExchSrvr\imcdata

> Optimiser did not recommend moving all of the databases to D:.  I did not
> worry about writing down the list of databases as I presumed they would be
> in the log.  However, only those that were moved were in the log, so I don't
> know what the other databases are.  We use Outlook 2000 for POP3 mail via
> Proxy Server.  Otherwise the installation is standard SBS.  Can anyone tell
> me whether or not I should worry about the other databases, or should I
> re-run Optimiser and move them all?    C: is used for SBS and D: for any
> shared apps and data.  What I would like to do is backup C: only when there
> is a change to SBS and backup D: every day; but I want to make sure I get
> all the Exchange data.  We do an off-line backup of Exchange.  If I leave
> the setup as is,  will I be able to perform a full Exchange recovery in the
> event of a disaster?

> TIA

> David
> St Stephen's Private Hospital
> MARYBOROUGH  QLD  AUSTRALIA

MS Exchange databases

Post by David Wai » Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:11:04

[...]

Post by David Wai » Fri, 18 Aug 2000 10:09:34

Larry

Thanks for your quick response.

I think I'll re-run optimiser and move them all over.

Thanks

David

> [...]

> > in the log.  However, only those that were moved were in the log, so I
don't
> > know what the other databases are.  We use Outlook 2000 for POP3 mail
via
> > Proxy Server.  Otherwise the installation is standard SBS.  Can anyone
tell
> > me whether or not I should worry about the other databases, or should I
> > re-run Optimiser and move them all?    C: is used for SBS and D: for any
> > shared apps and data.  What I would like to do is backup C: only when
there
> > is a change to SBS and backup D: every day; but I want to make sure I
get
> > all the Exchange data.  We do an off-line backup of Exchange.  If I
leave
> > the setup as is,  will I be able to perform a full Exchange recovery in

MS Exchange databases

Post by Mal Osborn » Fri, 18 Aug 2000 12:59:04

The Exchange Optimizer has configured the system for best performance,
however, this is only going to make any differance on a heavily loaded
system.  If you had a Exchange server with several RAID arrays, and
thousands of users, the Optimiser could have a big impact on performance,
but on an SBS system with 50 users it usually does not matter.  IMHO it is
better to put all of the Exchange data in the same place, to ease
administration, and fault finding.  Just run the Optimiser again, and
overwrite the suggested file locations with where you would like the data to
be.  It will be moved automatically.

Mal Osborne
MCSE Mensa

Quote:> Hi All

> I have just run Exchange Optimiser which recommended moving some of the
> databases from C: to D:, which I did.  The following is an extract from
the
> log:

> Microsoft Exchange Server Private information store file was moved from
> C:\ExchSrvr\MDBDATA to D:\ExchSrvr\MDBDATA
> Microsoft Exchange Server Message Transfer Agent log files was moved from
> C:\ExchSrvr\mtadata to D:\ExchSrvr\mtadata
> Microsoft Exchange Server Public information store file was moved from
> C:\ExchSrvr\MDBDATA to D:\ExchSrvr\MDBDATA
> Microsoft Exchange Server Directory service database file was moved from
> C:\ExchSrvr\DSADATA to D:\ExchSrvr\DSADATA
> Microsoft Exchange Server Internet Mail Service data files was moved from
> C:\ExchSrvr\imcdata to D:\ExchSrvr\imcdata

> Optimiser did not recommend moving all of the databases to D:.  I did not
> worry about writing down the list of databases as I presumed they would be
> in the log.  However, only those that were moved were in the log, so I
don't
> know what the other databases are.  We use Outlook 2000 for POP3 mail via
> Proxy Server.  Otherwise the installation is standard SBS.  Can anyone
tell
> me whether or not I should worry about the other databases, or should I
> re-run Optimiser and move them all?    C: is used for SBS and D: for any
> shared apps and data.  What I would like to do is backup C: only when
there
> is a change to SBS and backup D: every day; but I want to make sure I get
> all the Exchange data.  We do an off-line backup of Exchange.  If I leave
> the setup as is,  will I be able to perform a full Exchange recovery in
the
> event of a disaster?

> TIA

> David
> St Stephen's Private Hospital
> MARYBOROUGH  QLD  AUSTRALIA

MS Exchange databases

Post by Dale » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

The database files and message log files are in the <drive>:\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA
folder.  <Drive>:\Exchsrvr\MTADATA holds the log files of all message
transfers.  If you backup the Exchsrvr directory (with services stopped) you
will have what you are looking for.
I try to always use an Exchange aware backup program and backup the information
store and directory service.  Then there is no need to worry over where the
database files are located.
--
Dale
Custom Computer Source, L.L.C.

Quote:> Hi All

> I have just run Exchange Optimiser which recommended moving some of the
> databases from C: to D:, which I did.  The following is an extract from the
> log:

> Microsoft Exchange Server Private information store file was moved from
> C:\ExchSrvr\MDBDATA to D:\ExchSrvr\MDBDATA
> Microsoft Exchange Server Message Transfer Agent log files was moved from
> C:\ExchSrvr\mtadata to D:\ExchSrvr\mtadata
> Microsoft Exchange Server Public information store file was moved from
> C:\ExchSrvr\MDBDATA to D:\ExchSrvr\MDBDATA
> Microsoft Exchange Server Directory service database file was moved from
> C:\ExchSrvr\DSADATA to D:\ExchSrvr\DSADATA
> Microsoft Exchange Server Internet Mail Service data files was moved from
> C:\ExchSrvr\imcdata to D:\ExchSrvr\imcdata

> Optimiser did not recommend moving all of the databases to D:.  I did not
> worry about writing down the list of databases as I presumed they would be
> in the log.  However, only those that were moved were in the log, so I don't
> know what the other databases are.  We use Outlook 2000 for POP3 mail via
> Proxy Server.  Otherwise the installation is standard SBS.  Can anyone tell
> me whether or not I should worry about the other databases, or should I
> re-run Optimiser and move them all?    C: is used for SBS and D: for any
> shared apps and data.  What I would like to do is backup C: only when there
> is a change to SBS and backup D: every day; but I want to make sure I get
> all the Exchange data.  We do an off-line backup of Exchange.  If I leave
> the setup as is,  will I be able to perform a full Exchange recovery in the
> event of a disaster?

> TIA

> David
> St Stephen's Private Hospital
> MARYBOROUGH  QLD  AUSTRALIA

1. MS Exchange Database resource Failure error 1011

I've gotten this event a few times:

"Database resource failure error -1011 occured in function JTAB_BASE::EcSeek
while accessing the database."

I have no clue what it means or how to find out.  All I know is that it is
an error attributed to MSExchangeelS.

Please send responses to the group and to me personally.  Thanks.

2. Text reader for Siena

3. Jet Database/MS Exchange Errors

4. Oil Barons(again)

5. Move MS Exchange 5.0 database - Urgent !

6. Wanted to Buy: HArd-Drive and Int. Basic Card.

7. MS Proxy & MS Exchange dial-up

8. pdflatex

9. This version of MS Exchange Server requires MS SBS???

10. Move exchange databases to regular NT 4.0 and exchange 5.5

11. MS knowledge database, SBS discontinued?

12. How to download Y2K compliance database of SMS2.0 from MS or anywhere else ?

13. MS Access for SMS Database