No Shared Files in Successful VPN Connection??

No Shared Files in Successful VPN Connection??

Post by Davi » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:15:54

Anyone have any idea why I see no shared files when connected and
authenticated with a user/pass that works fine locally? If i'm at
work, the files/printers appear fine, I go home, connect to the VPN
with the same network, and it works and I see nothing but my own
machine's files (and I even manually added my computer's name to the
Computer Lists on the SBS console. Obviously the vpn serves me no
purpose this way, so what am I forgetting?

Also, whats with the slow login to the server domain locally? My
machine takes 2-3 minutes to log in to windows when going through the
domain.. it seems unnecessarily long.

Please help,

David

No Shared Files in Successful VPN Connection??

Post by Petri Suomin » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 20:24:19

Your home PC needs to join the domain. Adding a name for it in "AD
Users and Compters" don't quite cut it, you need to establish the VPN
connection and then join the domain from the PC itself.

br,
      Petri

No Shared Files in Successful VPN Connection??

Post by Davi » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 08:10:45

But the only way I know to join a domain Windows XP is to log off and
log back on? If I log off, windows closes all network connections.. so
how do I stay connected to the vpn and then log on to the domain?

Thanks for your help,
David

> Your home PC needs to join the domain. Adding a name for it in "AD
> Users and Compters" don't quite cut it, you need to establish the VPN
> connection and then join the domain from the PC itself.

> br,
>       Petri

No Shared Files in Successful VPN Connection??

Post by jimbehn.. » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 13:02:57

Binding order of nic internal nic at top. DNS for both nics should be
ip of internal nic. SP3 installed on server. Edits of 292822 should be
done. See www.support.microsoft.com. I never expect to see anything on
the server until I do start\run and enter \\servername

Incorrect dns entries on workstation can cause slow logons. Incorrect
dhcp settings on server can cause problems. Option 46 should be set to
0x8. www.sbs2000.info has good tips as well as
www.microsoft.com/sbserver. Look under the faq at the sbserver site.

I  also edit my Windows XP or Windows VPN connection to include log
onto domain.

>Anyone have any idea why I see no shared files when connected and
>authenticated with a user/pass that works fine locally? If i'm at
>work, the files/printers appear fine, I go home, connect to the VPN
>with the same network, and it works and I see nothing but my own
>machine's files (and I even manually added my computer's name to the
>Computer Lists on the SBS console. Obviously the vpn serves me no
>purpose this way, so what am I forgetting?

>Also, whats with the slow login to the server domain locally? My
>machine takes 2-3 minutes to log in to windows when going through the
>domain.. it seems unnecessarily long.

>Please help,

>David

Jim B.

1. Shared Internet Connections, VPN, and E-mail connections

All,
    I'm realizing very quickly how much over my head I am during this
installation. What started out as a database programming contract now has me
installing SBS2000...Oh well, it's a good learning experience and the folks
here in this newsgroup have been great!!!

The SBS2000 install went well. Clean install. New server. I'm currently in
the process of getting the communications up and running. Today I went
through the SBS console to set up RRAS so remotes sites can dial in and
access the new box (server) My one test went well. NT client dialed in OK.

Next step, connect to the internet from the server. That went well.

Now I'm at a point of confusion :)>  The server has 2 NIC's. But I'm not
sure why. The client would like to a) use VPN for remote access b) enable
shared internet access with local clients and c) configure Exchange Server
to de-queue e-mail from his ISP (Erols).

I have a book from Microsoft Press called Small Business Server 2000
(Resource Kit), but at times it is seems very ambiguous...

When I went to go through the Internet connection Wizard to setup shared
connections, it said that is was going to change my IP address to something
starting with 192.x.y.z.
I remember I used 10.0.0.2 during the SBS installation. Will this cause
problems? And what about the 2nd NIC card? I do not believe it was ever
given an IP address during the initial SBS install. Not sure how it plays
into what I would like to do for the client.

Any advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated.
I also have a "Mastering W2K Server book" by Mark Minasi.
Another question: is it safe to follow the step in the W2K server book vs.
what is suggested in the SBS2000 book from Microsoft?

Thank you to all who respond and to those who participate in this newsgroup
on a regular basis...I live by these forums!!!

Thomas J. Kroljic (acquiring new SBS2000 skills I thought I'd never need to
know :)>

2. Encrypting File System

3. dial-ins can't access shares

4. where to get cd-300i?

5. Phonebook Settings disappear and I have to reinstall INS file

6. Mac DMA

7. Demon INS files

8. INS file download problems

9. Help !! ISP/ INS file possibly corrupt ?

10. Sample INS-file for Small Business Server

11. Missing .ins and .lkp files

12. INS files recreate every 5mts on CAP