Beyond the Minds Eye

Post by Damian Fra » Tue, 15 Nov 1994 21:05:35

: I rented a video composed of computer graphic shorts called (I believe)
: "Beyond the Mind's Eye".  After seeing it I was in awe at the quality of
: rendering, fluid animation, and the complexity of the modelling.  Does
: anyone know what kind of organizations do these shorts?  I don't remember
: any of the names.  Also, is the software they use custom developed by
: them or by a major CG soft developer (i.e. Alias), or specific favorites
: [packages] of the industry?

That's the right title.  There are several others, such as The Mind's Eye,
and a new one whose title I forget.  Anyway, I don't know about ALL of the
animation, but I was watching a (VERY impressive) demo tape for Autodesk's
3d Studio, which included some of the animation from one of the videos.  So,
there's part of an answer.

Damian Frank      "Each man must for himself alone decide what is right and

                   You cannot shirk this and be a man."   -Mark Twain

Beyond the Minds Eye

Post by Alex Nicola » Tue, 15 Nov 1994 22:49:37

>: I rented a video composed of computer graphic shorts called (I believe)
>: "Beyond the Mind's Eye".  After seeing it I was in awe at the quality of
>: rendering, fluid animation, and the complexity of the modelling.  Does
>: anyone know what kind of organizations do these shorts?  I don't remember
>: any of the names.  Also, is the software they use custom developed by
>: them or by a major CG soft developer (i.e. Alias), or specific favorites
>: [packages] of the industry?
>That's the right title.  There are several others, such as The Mind's Eye,
>and a new one whose title I forget.  Anyway, I don't know about ALL of the
>animation, but I was watching a (VERY impressive) demo tape for Autodesk's
>3d Studio, which included some of the animation from one of the videos.  So,
>there's part of an answer.

* The yellow brick road to this ind of work lies in your favorite university.
Take a graduate degree in Computer Science with a supervisor from a computer
graphics background; then apply to companies that do this sort of animation.

Soft Image - writes software for this industry
Alias      - also software authoring; more concentrated on modelling
SideFX     - both software authoring and some production of animation
ILM        - those famous movie guys
PIXAR      - famous for anim shorts

and I'm sure there are many more. There is also work in 2d graphics, in
scientific visualization, etc, etc. One trip to Siggraph should show you
many more possibilities than I've enumerated here. In canada, the
University of Waterloo Computer Graphics Lab does this kind of work, as does
every serious CS university in the USA. There is some serious work being done
in Europe as well of course but being out of touch I can't remember the
names of universities / businesses based out of Europe. Obviousl the above
list is biased towards Canadian companies; I'm sure more people will add names
to the list from the USA and Europe.

alex

Beyond the Minds Eye

Post by Kevin Huota » Thu, 17 Nov 1994 05:41:16

The ACM SIGGRAPH Video Review is probably the best source of computer
graphics work. The video tapes are compiled from the SIGGRAPH Conference
Electronic Theater and other venues, including the CHI, CSCW and
Supercomputing conferences. There are special issues that focus on
specific topics and comprehensive historical reviews.

send email to

no message, no subject, and a catalog will be sent to you at your email
address. this will include all ordering and shipping information and a
notice about special pricing for several issues. write to me if you have
any problems.  kh

Quote:> I rented a video composed of computer graphic shorts called (I believe)

--
Kevin Huotari

Beyond the Minds Eye

Post by Tuan Do » Sat, 19 Nov 1994 12:26:03

Quote:>I rented a video composed of computer graphic shorts called (I believe)
>"Beyond the Mind's Eye".  After seeing it I was in awe at the quality of
>rendering, fluid animation, and the complexity of the modelling.  Does
>anyone know what kind of organizations do these shorts?  I don't remember
>any of the names.  Also, is the software they use custom developed by
>them or by a major CG soft developer (i.e. Alias), or specific favorites
>[packages] of the industry?

   At the end of the show, there are credits.  Each short piece has
an author.  Also, check out "The Mind's Eye" and soon to be release
"To the Mind's Eye: The Gate"

Quote:>Those who haven't seen this video don't know what they're missing!

   Those who haven't seen it on laserdisc don't know what they're missing!!!

Regards,

 __  __/  /   /   __  /    |   /    Tuan T. Doan
    /    /   /   /   /   / |  /     IEC Layer Testing and Advance Technology
   /    /   /   __  /   /  | /      2201 Lakeside Blvd.  P.O. Box 833871
__/  ______/ __/ __/ __/  __/       Richardson, TX 75083-3871
"It's a kind of magic" -Highlander  Phone: 214-684-4575   Fax: 214-684-3716

1. Beyond the Mind's Eye

--
   The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the University of
     North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the Campus Office for Information

2. Creating a box

3. Graphics software used in Mind's Eye

4. replot or multiplot? - addendum

5. WANTED: The Mind's Eye

6. Stupid Little Problem

7. "Mind's Eye" images

8. pi book

9. Mind's Eye Series

10. Gate to the minds Eye..

11. FA : The Mind's eye experience Comp Anim 3 videos

12. Red-Eye Reduction - Blue Eyes

13. "Flashy" eyes after red eye removed