Making 2D radar weather map and need suggestions about finding contours

Making 2D radar weather map and need suggestions about finding contours

Post by DELLAENTERPRISE » Fri, 20 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hello,
Can anyone help here. Ive been assigned the task of creating a 2D color
weather map of data collected from a radar installation. It consists of
512 samples of fluid density taken at progressively more distant points
(equal distances)  from the center of a circle, and at 360 points around
a full circle. I would like to create contours that surround areas of
similar densities for color coding of the data. I guess this is similar
to an elevation map, however, the one big difference, is that the image
is constantly updated one "ray" at a time as the radar rotates through
the 360 degrees. That is, the updates are in real time, and 1 degree at
a time.
Any suggestions about what to look for in the way of algorithms would be
greatly appreciated.
Chris Wieland

Post by Albrecht PREUSS » Tue, 24 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,
> Can anyone help here. I=92ve been assigned the task of creating a 2D colo=
> weather map of data collected from a radar installation. It consists of
> 512 samples of fluid density taken at progressively more distant points
> (equal distances)  from the center of a circle, and at 360 points around
> a full circle. I would like to create contours that surround areas of
> similar densities for color coding of the data. I guess this is similar
> to an elevation map, however, the one big difference, is that the image
> is constantly updated one "ray" at a time as the radar rotates through
> the 360 degrees. That is, the updates are in real time, and 1 degree at
> a time.
> Any suggestions about what to look for in the way of algorithms would be
> greatly appreciated.
> Chris Wieland

You might be interested to have a look at my home page. See
signature. The simplest approach is that of constructing a
mesh of triangles and use bivariate linear interpolation. You
could update every triangle in real time, when one of the values
at the nodes changes.
--
Dr. Albrecht Preusser
Gemeinsames Rechenzentrum

1. Help with 2D contour map

Hi.
I am looking for  a graphics package for the sun that will allow me to
make a 2D contour map, given the z-data for a (x,y) location as in a
lattice. The map needs to be solid line type with the color proportional
to the z-value.

It is essential that the package allow me to specify the input data file
and the output plot on teh command line, since I wil have about 50 or so
files to be plotted at one time and want to do it iteratively using a
simple shell script.

If someone could give me some suggestions about how to go about this, I would
appreciate it very much.

Thanks

Vinay

2. skipping the transformation matrix

3. 2D Contour Mapping Routines

4. Focus question

5. Wanted: contour tool for plotting simple 2d contour fields

6. Source code to book, please help!

7. Where to find radar images?

8. Palette matching

9. Info needed: 2D contour plotting

10. 2D Contouring Algorithm Needed

11. Need 2D edge/contour detection

12. Need suggestions on mapping explosion sequence.

13. 3d Map representation - need suggestions...