occlusion culling

Post by Zhang Zhen » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

does anyone have the actual experience on occlusion culling? is it possible
to apply z-buffer test on oc
to obtain real-time rendering?

occlusion culling

Post by Mark Manning/Muniz Eng » Wed, 12 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I did a really fast OC for CMU.  What I did was to just create an array
representing the 360 degree circle.  Then calculate the number of angles
through which a given surface lay.  Takes only two passes.  Once through
the polygons to map them onto the circle's surface, and once to display
the mapped polygons.

This worked out really nicely because the more precision you want, the
smaller the increments in the circle's degrees.  It turns out that if
you increment by only 1/4 of a degree most things work out quite well.

Cavets:  We were using rather large polygons to represent walls in a
coal mine, no transparencies, and things tended to be rather box like.
Think of DOOM - that kind of culling so the mine program could run
rather quickly.

I hope this helps.  :-)

If you don't, it will probably bounce.  As per the current
Federal laws regarding junk mail, this is your notice that
I charge a $25.00 fee to read your junk mail.  So send it
on!  I need the cash!  :-)

1. Hardware Support for Occlusion Culling?

Any idea when hardware support for occlusion culling will become
available on SGI platforms. Some other vendors are talking about
supporting this in thier hardware.

This could become a driving force in the area of Large Scale Database
visualization. (OpenGL-Optimizer)

--
Bill McGarry  SW-Engineer          Phone:(206)865-5064 FAX:(206)865-2628
Boeing Commercial Airplane Company Org: 6-6C13 , M/S 7J-79

2. Q: Creating a Bezier curve...

3. Where to get Occlusion Culling Tutorials?

4. Is BMP encoder there in in JDK 1.2 ?

5. Occlusion culling source?

6. Possible for PSP to wipe out files?

7. Help w/ occlusion culling/portal algorithm

8. Nested Display Lists

9. Visibility algorithms/Occlusion culling in dense polyhedral environments.

10. Occlusion Culling

11. occlusion culling using octrees

12. NV_OCCLUSION_QUERY for occlusion culling

13. Occlusion culling?