: 16-bit color layout (5-6-5???)

Post by Joshua Jersil » Mon, 30 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Is my guess about 5-6-5 color correct (I need to know the format of 16-bit
HiColor graphics in memory.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
--
==============================

--I speak for Phantom Software
http://www.iquest.net/~jersild/

: 16-bit color layout (5-6-5???)

Post by Colin Doole » Mon, 30 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Is my guess about 5-6-5 color correct (I need to know the format of 16-bit
> HiColor graphics in memory.)

Probably.

It all depends on what sort of machine you have, the Atari Falcon used
5-6-5 (for example).... ;-)

Why don't you just write some data into the screen memory, it should be
quite easy to figure out the colour distribution.

--

<\___/>
/ O O \

: 16-bit color layout (5-6-5???)

Post by Matthew D. Spence » Mon, 30 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Is my guess about 5-6-5 color correct (I need to know the format of 16-bit
> HiColor graphics in memory.)

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> --

I know on the Mac the format for six* bit graphics is as follows:

The first bit does not define color (If it defines anything, I am still
not sure.)  Each succesive group of five bits holds data for Red, Green
and Blue, respectively.  Hope this helps!

--
Matthew.

: 16-bit color layout (5-6-5???)

Post by Davide Pasc » Mon, 30 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Is my guess about 5-6-5 color correct (I need to know the format of 16-bit
> HiColor graphics in memory.)

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> --
> ==============================

> --I speak for Phantom Software
> http://www.iquest.net/~jersild/

Very generic question: is it about a file format or a frame buffer ?
On the SVGA it is always RGB, but can be either 555 or 565.

ciaox

//=====================================================
//= Davide Pasca - http://www.netcom.com/~dpasca      =

//=====================================================

: 16-bit color layout (5-6-5???)

Post by Asbj?r » Tue, 31 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> > Is my guess about 5-6-5 color correct (I need to know the format of 16-bit
> > HiColor graphics in memory.)

> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > --

> I know on the Mac the format for six* bit graphics is as follows:

> The first bit does not define color (If it defines anything, I am still
> not sure.)  Each succesive group of five bits holds data for Red, Green
> and Blue, respectively.  Hope this helps!

> --
> Matthew.

Don't you have a 15bit system then? At least, that's the way it's done on
ibm compatible computers. The last bit is not used though.

- Asbj?rn

: 16-bit color layout (5-6-5???)

Post by Guido Vollbedin » Tue, 31 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Is my guess about 5-6-5 color correct (I need to know the format of 16-bit
> HiColor graphics in memory.)

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It would be helpful to know to what kind of graphics system
your question refers to.

If it is rather a 'high-level' graphics system, then you
might inspect my FixPix solution under

  http://www.esc.de/homes/guivol/fixpix/

The basic assumption there is that your graphics systems
supports some kind of device-independend RGB color setting,
which should be true for all higher level graphics interfaces.
The given code is used in an X Window System environment
and on Atari GEM/VDI systems (yes, also Atari Falcon :-).

> It all depends on what sort of machine you have, the Atari Falcon used
> 5-6-5 (for example).... ;-)

On the Falcon it is selectable, the VDI usually chooses 5-5-5
as far as I know (with FixPix I don't have to know that :-).

Quote:> Why don't you just write some data into the screen memory, it should be
> quite easy to figure out the colour distribution.

Well, this is the basic idea as used in FixPix :-)...

Regards,
Guido

: 16-bit color layout (5-6-5???)

Post by Colin Doole » Wed, 01 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> > It all depends on what sort of machine you have, the Atari Falcon used
> > 5-6-5 (for example).... ;-)

> On the Falcon it is selectable, the VDI usually chooses 5-5-5
> as far as I know (with FixPix I don't have to know that :-).

The falcon could use the bottom bit of green for genlocking (ie.
to select the external video source). If you had no genlock,
you could get 6 bits of green.

--

<\___/>
/ O O \