Sphere 3d World

Post by Jesse Andrew » Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I read about a game in the last few months (sorry, I cannot remember the
name) that was 3d, but instead of using polygons to design their world,
they used spheres.  Is there any information on how to do this???  It looks
like an interesting way of rendering, and I would like to design a graphic
engine around it.....

thanx,
Jesse Andrews

Sphere 3d World

Post by Josh Steve » Sun, 26 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>I read about a game in the last few months (sorry, I cannot remember the
>name) that was 3d, but instead of using polygons to design their world,
>they used spheres.  Is there any information on how to do this???  It looks
>like an interesting way of rendering, and I would like to design a graphic
>engine around it.....

I was making a game like that, but I've put it on hold for the time
being, since I've begun a much better game as a project with some
friends (see my homepage for the 3D modeler I'm writing).  The way I
did it was very simple; I just scaled precalculated bitmaps according
to distance.  Limiting one's self to spheres is, however, very
limiting, so be warned.

/                                                                    \
| Josh Stevens                               Soul Collector on Quake |
| http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~jstev/index.shtml                    |
\____________________________________________________________________/

1. Intersection of 3D Bezier Curve on a Sphere and a Plane Cutting the Sphere

I have:

 1. A 3D Bezier curve on the surface of a sphere.  That
    is x^2+y^2+z^2 = 1 for all points along the curve.

    It is known that the curve does not intersect with
    itself (all points on the curve are unique).

 2. A plane in an arbitrary orientation that cuts the
    sphere.

Question:

How do I determine if and where the plane intersects the
Bezier curve?  I believe that there are either 0, 1, or 2
points of intersection.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. fading edges to white

3. Regular Grids on Spheres / Sphere Tilings / Equal distribution of points on a sphere

4. bincancel:19 large binaries:AR605:@@NCM

5. Act-3D, 3D World Magazine and NVIDIA Launch 3D Art Competition For Real-Time Graphics

6. gif animator

7. the cornell box effect...

8. 3D Convex decomposition of a 3d-virtual-walkthru-world

9. texturing onto sphere using sphere library

10. Sphere-Sphere Collision Response

11. Sphere-Sphere intersection resolution with horizontal constraint

12. Sphere - Sphere Collision