3D Polygon clipping

Post by Kimberly Lor » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

HI,
  I am trying to display a solid object (like a cube) and would like to be
able clip it.  Right now I display it as a wireframe and clip the edges in
3D.  I would like to remove the hidden lines and display it as a solid
object. What would I have to clip it as a solid object.  Could I still clip
lines in 3D or would I now be clipping polygons.  I know how to clip a
polygon in 2D. What would be the difference in clipping a polygon in 3D.  I
am new to this so I really need some help.
 Thanks in advance for any responses,
   Kim Lord

3D Polygon clipping

Post by kra » Sun, 14 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Try the following books:

``Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice''
by Foley, Van Dam, Feiner, & Hughes

or

``Computer Graphics--C version 2nd ed'' by Hearn & Baker

both books have either complete source, or psuedo-code with
explanations.

Or you can try the following site:

www.flipcode.com
-> look under ``features-->programming tutorials'' there is an
article describing the standard 3d clipping algorithm which is
an extension of the 2d Sutherland-Hodgeman

or try
http://www.foxfiber.net/frenzy/

he has some nice articles on clipping.

good luck!!

>HI,
>  I am trying to display a solid object (like a cube) and would like to be
>able clip it.  Right now I display it as a wireframe and clip the edges in
>3D.  I would like to remove the hidden lines and display it as a solid
>object. What would I have to clip it as a solid object.  Could I still clip
>lines in 3D or would I now be clipping polygons.  I know how to clip a
>polygon in 2D. What would be the difference in clipping a polygon in 3D.  I
>am new to this so I really need some help.
> Thanks in advance for any responses,
>   Kim Lord

3D Polygon clipping

Post by beetun » Mon, 15 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Clip it after projection to viewing coordinates. try my freakish applet

http://www-personal.monash.edu.au/~dtun3/java/

-beetung

>HI,
>  I am trying to display a solid object (like a cube) and would like to be
>able clip it.  Right now I display it as a wireframe and clip the edges in
>3D.  I would like to remove the hidden lines and display it as a solid
>object. What would I have to clip it as a solid object.  Could I still clip
>lines in 3D or would I now be clipping polygons.  I know how to clip a
>polygon in 2D. What would be the difference in clipping a polygon in 3D.  I
>am new to this so I really need some help.
> Thanks in advance for any responses,
>   Kim Lord

3D Polygon clipping

Post by Kenny Erlebe » Mon, 15 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi

I would sugest that you take a look at The Sutherland-Hodgman
Polygon-Cliping Algorithm. You can find this in Foley. Here it is desribed
in 2D, but it is really easy to expand into 3D.

/Kenny

1. Fast 3d polygon clipping

Does anyone know where I can find a REAL fast 3d clipping algorithm for a
polygon clipped against a canonical view volume?

Thanks,

Brian

PS I've looked in two Watts books and in FVD 2nd ed. and have only found a
3d line clipping algorithm....maybe I could take this and extend the
Sutherland-Hodgman to 3d?
// Brian W.K. Hook                 "Stop!  Stop in the name of all that

//
// In this order: Meg Ryan, Sherilyn Fenn, Kristy Swanson, Bridget Fonda
//
// "Sometimes I'm a real dick.  Sometimes I'm a plastic one with batteries."

2. New Animation

3. WANTED: fast 3d polygon clipping algorithm

4. TGA Processing

5. 3d polygon clipping

6. Splash Screen

7. 3D Polygon Clipping to Frustum

8. 3d polygon clipping!

9. 3D polygon clipping

10. Liang-Barsky 3D Polygon Clipping Question

11. 3d polygon clipping against many planes?

12. 3D Polygon Clipping