polygon to rectangles algorithm ?

Post by Warren Ziegenfu » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I,m looking for an algorithm that would take a closed orthogonal polygon
with given x,y coordinates and return a set of rectangles(x,y coordinates).
If possible it would find the biggest rectange first.

simple graphical example :
__________
|                   |_____
|                             |
|                             |
|______________ |

Would return
__________
|                   |       ______
|                   |       |           |
|                   |       |           |
|_________ |       |_____ |

        Regards,
                        Warren

1. Preferred polygon-to-rectangle clipping algorithm?

For a current project, I need to be able to clip a polygon to a
rectangle, and find the smaller rectangles which lie either inside or
outside the polygon.  I figured this could be done with a
polygon-to-rectangle clipping algorithm.  My copy of Foley et
al. reviews the Sutherland-Hodgman and Liang-Barsky algorithms.
However, this book is now 6 years old.  Any more recent developments
that should be considered?

Thanks very much.  Please cc or e-mail responses, as I don't get to
check these newsgroups often.

Thanks,

-pd

--
                                Peter Davis
                        http://world.std.com/~pd

                     "Boycott intrusive advertisers!"

2. Graphics Adapter Card

3. Need algorithm for largest rectangle enclosed in a polygon

4. win2k, 7.5b runs fine, no crashes

5. Preferred polygon-to-rectangle clipping algorithm?

6. aniamting a frog

7. Rectangle and Polygon Intersection Algorithm

8. jaggies when scanning blk& white

9. Clever rectangle in rectangle clipping algorithm...

10. Rectangle in Rectangle Algorithm

11. Looking for complex polygon-polygon clip algorithm/code

12. Algorithm to divide polygon into sub-polygons needed

13. Algorithm for subdividing a polygon into polygons of equal area