euclidean skeleton vs medial axis

Post by Vasileios Zografo » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 23:53:16

Hi there,

I am a bit confused on the difference between the euclidean skeleton and
the medial axis for a 2d curve.
Their definitions seem to be identical.

Euclidean skeleton: the set of points X equidistant from at least two
points of the curve, provided the distances are global minima

Medial axis: the locus of the centers of all maximal discs contained in
the shape. A maximal disc contained in the shape is any circle with its
interior that is contained in the shape (i.e., has empty intersection
with the exterior of the shape) such that the circle touches the
boundary of the shape at two or more points

So, is there any difference between the two?

Thank you

Vasileios Zografos

Post by DrJohnRu » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 04:51:27

I am a bit confused on the difference between the euclidean skeleton and the
medial axis for a 2d curve.
Their definitions seem to be identical.
Euclidean skeleton: the set of points X equidistant from at least two
points of the curve, provided the distances are global minima
Medial axis: the locus of the centers of all maximal discs contained in
the shape. A maximal disc contained in the shape is any circle with its
interior that is contained in the shape (i.e., has empty intersection
with the exterior of the shape) such that the circle touches the
boundary of the shape at two or more points

Quote:

>So, is there any difference between the two?

The definitions are the same but the implementation is very different and so
may be the results when performed on a real image made of finite pixels. The
skeleton is typically generated by a sequential erosion, that takes off
boundary pixels until no more can be removed without breaking the feature into
parts. That produces a line of pixels that lies near (but not always exactly
on) the midline. For a simple example consider a feature that is 6 pixels wide.
Depending on which side you started the erosion, the skeleton would lie on
either column 3 or 4, either of which is slightly wrong. The medial axis on the
other hand produces a set of points (not pixels) so its location is exact. Of
course, when it is time to represent it on the image, it still has to be
reduced to pixels and so it may be displaced from the theoretical location but
some consistent rules for rounding off can be used, or an antialiased line can
be drawn. Also, while it is not part of the definition above, the medial axis
transform is often represented with values along the line that are the radii of
the inscribed circles at each location, so it contains more information about
the original feature "thickness" than the skeleton does. For all sorts of
reasons the medial axis is a better tool, but as a practical matter most real
programs generate the skeleton because it is faster. Regardless of how the
program generates the data, the name given to the result may be wrong (i.e.,
since "skeleton" is a more widely known term, that name may be used even if the
result is the MAT).

euclidean skeleton vs medial axis

Post by Hans-Bernhard Broeke » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 07:46:51

Quote:> I am a bit confused on the difference between the euclidean skeleton and
> the medial axis for a 2d curve.
> Their definitions seem to be identical.

But if you look more closely, they aren't. Note that a maximal
contained discs will touch the outline in at least *three* positions,
whereas the skeleton definition only mentions two contatct points.
And to be contained in a shape, you have to *have* a shape to begin
with, i.e. that definition works *only* for closed curves without
self-intersections or other nastinesses.

I.e.: you can build a Euclidean skeleton even of an unclosed, finite
curve segment, but not a medial axis as given by your definition.

Post by jim » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:50:00

> > I am a bit confused on the difference between the euclidean skeleton and
> > the medial axis for a 2d curve.
> > Their definitions seem to be identical.

> But if you look more closely, they aren't. Note that a maximal
> contained discs will touch the outline in at least *three* positions,

Not according to the OP's definition -> "the circle touches the
boundary of the shape at two or more points"

Quote:> whereas the skeleton definition only mentions two contatct points.
> And to be contained in a shape, you have to *have* a shape to begin
> with, i.e. that definition works *only* for closed curves without
> self-intersections or other nastinesses.

> I.e.: you can build a Euclidean skeleton even of an unclosed, finite
> curve segment, but not a medial axis as given by your definition.

        By your definition the medial axis is the endpoints (or joints) of the
skeletal curve (or curves) of a closed shape.
        I did notice that a the OP's definition specified 2d for the medial axis
but not for skelaton - that does seem to be a real difference.

-jim

1. Help! Code for finding Medial Axis (symmetric axis)

Hi,

I am looking for a code to find the medial axis of shapes on arbitary
surfaces.I know that an algorithm exists for finding the axis for shapes
on two dimensional plane surface,I want a code that works for arbitary
surfaces.

I would appreciate if someone can help me on this or atleast give a
good reference where I can get to know the theory behind it,so that I
can formulate my own code.

Thanks
Navin Khaneja                                           APT# 1
Electronic Signal and Systems Research Laboratory       6675  Washington avenue
Department of Electrical Engineering                    MO-63130
Washington University                                   Ph: 314-726-5698
Ph : 314-935-7552

2. Graphic Field!

3. Medial Surface/Skeleton from Polyhedra

4. RFD: comp.graphics.apps.raydream

5. Software for watertight surface reconstruction from point clouds and medial axis

6. My particle system can't blend...

7. software release for water tight surface reconstruction from point clouds and Medial axis (MAT)

8. Help with underwater pic correction PLEASE! - 100_4425.jpg (1/1)

9. 3d Medial Axis (was 3D Interrogation Software)

10. MEDIAL SURFACE(AXIS)

11. How to create medial axis

12. Medial Axis of a 3D-Object

13. software release for water tight surface reconstruction from point clouds and Medial axis (MAT)