A good panning algorithm needed

Post by 13ab » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 22:19:12

Hello,

Here's what I am doing at the moment. I use Java. I am loading an
image of size 1600x1200 and I want to pan it using the mouse. I am
successful in moving the image around but it gives me lots of jerks. I
need a tested and good panning algorithm. If any of you can help
please let me know

Thanks

13abar

A good panning algorithm needed

Post by Marco Schmid » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 22:41:44

13abar:

Quote:>Here's what I am doing at the moment. I use Java. I am loading an
>image of size 1600x1200 and I want to pan it using the mouse. I am
>successful in moving the image around but it gives me lots of jerks. I
>need a tested and good panning algorithm. If any of you can help
>please let me know

If you put the image into a normal Scrollpane, the user can smoothly
scroll it using the scrollbars. Or do you have something else in mind?

Regards,
Marco

1. PC graphics card good at panning windows

I am searching for an ISA bus graphics card with the best possible
performance in *panning* a window in MS-Windows, in the "upper consumer
price range" - preferably not very much above US$ 1000,-.

I've got a number of magazine articles testing various cards, but the
tests tend to provide a general impression of how the card will perform
in a "typical" application. Well, my application isn't typical - all
other operations may run at moderate speeds, as long as panning is fast.
Number of colors and resolution above 800*600 is also of less interrest
- they are all good enough for me in these respects.

Can anyone have specific test results for this kind of operation for
a number of cards? Alternatively, does anyone know the various graphics
processors well enough to tell me which one I should look out for on the
card?

(My application: To display a musical staff panning across the screen
in real time corresponding to the tempo of the music. The staff will be
so large that in the worst case, only 3-4 notes will fit in the screen
and you don't have too much time per one-pixel pan - to make movement
smooth and hte music readable - with 1/32s in presto tempo...)

Thanks,
Ketil

2. Help wanted: EnSight problems

3. Need a good concave -> convex polygon algorithm

4. Transparent gifs

5. Need a good ordered color dithering algorithm

6. DXF File format

7. need a good smoothing algorithm

8. RenderMania down...ish

9. need a good texturemapping algorithm

10. Neophyte needs tips for Best Fit algorithm

11. Need help finding a good Line Routing Algorithm

12. Need a good (no, better!) texture tutorial

13. Good graphics algorithms reference?