vector graphics use in the marketplace and historical information

vector graphics use in the marketplace and historical information

Post by tor » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 01:13:33

Hi I'm an Illustration student at NIU and I'm doing a research paper
on vector graphics. I am supposed to include the past present and
future uses for vector art in the marketplace. I'm having a bit of
trouble finding any information. If anyone has any information on this
subject or some clue as to where to start or how to go about it I
would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

vector graphics use in the marketplace and historical information

Post by Gernot Hoffma » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 04:28:55

Quote:> Hi I'm an Illustration student at NIU and I'm doing a research paper
> on vector graphics. I am supposed to include the past present and
> future uses for vector art in the marketplace. I'm having a bit of
> trouble finding any information. If anyone has any information on this
> subject or some clue as to where to start or how to go about it I
> would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Whatever is meant by "vector art" (its a rather cloudy expression):

The best book about the "past" is this:

Peter Friess, Kunst und Maschine (500 Jahre Maschinenlinie in Bild und
Skulptur), Deutscher Kunstverlag, 1993. In German: "Peter Frie?".

I dont know whether the book is available in English, perhaps like
this:
"Art and Machine, 500 years machine lines for images and sculptures".
It concerns the generation of line art.

Even the German version would be helpful. The author had studied
history of arts. He became very early familiar with desktop
publishing.

Standard books:

Foley, van Dam: Computer Graphics.
(handling thin and thick lines in computer graphics).

PostScript Language Reference Manual, Addison Wesley.
(a few pages about handling lines in desktop publishing. Postscript is
the state of the art in desktop publishing).

--Gernot Hoffmann

1. Information: vector graphics mailing-lists

Hello,

This is to inform NG users about two existing mailing-lists about vector
graphics for the Web:

One about SVG, the current W3C almost-standard for vector graphics on the
Web:

One about VML, the current MS format for vector graphics in Office and IE:

2. Remplacement de fr.comp.pao par fr.comp.graphisme.pao, fr.comp.graphisme.3d-video et fr.comp.graphisme.multimedia (non moderes).

3. Information on Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG)

4. C graphing routines for MSDOS

5. Historical graphics benchmarks

6. using ogl for other 3d jobs

7. Using Geometry.Pas to rotate vectors around vectors...

8. Vector -> Vector Graphics Conversions

9. WMF to Illustrator preserving Vector information?

10. Exporting Vector Information to PSP

11. Where is a marketplace?

12. ANY PRODUCT ORIGINATOR SEEKING TO ENTER EUROPEAN MARKETPLACE?