Dithering to a set palette

Post by David Timperle » Thu, 25 Jul 1996 04:00:00

This is an open question...

We need to take a 24bit animation (like an avi) and convert it to a set 256
col palette which can not be changed.
We are building a flc so we want to use dispersed-ordered dithering.
Why no use a diffusion dither... because they cause stray pixels to move
(like a grain) through the frames of the animation.
Does any one have methods, algorithms, sources of information, that we
could use

thanks.

Dithering to a set palette

Post by Jack Berli » Thu, 25 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> This is an open question...

> We need to take a 24bit animation (like an avi) and convert it to a set 256
> col palette which can not be changed.
> We are building a flc so we want to use dispersed-ordered dithering.
> Why no use a diffusion dither... because they cause stray pixels to move
> (like a grain) through the frames of the animation.
> Does any one have methods, algorithms, sources of information, that we
> could use

> thanks.

Hi-
We have a free windows batch utility on our site (PICView)
http://www.jpg.com/product.html  which will batch
convert 24bit bmp, tga, tif or jpg to a lower color bmp.  Options
include 4 or 8 bit bmp of any number of colors between 2 & 256, mapping
to universal palette and thumbnail creation.  It has a dither and
non-dither option but I do not know the method.  Let me know if this is
helpful.
jack

http://www.jpg.com/ - Pegasus Imaging Corp - the BETTER JPEG people!