Read my thesis (ray object intersections) -- my reaction

Read my thesis (ray object intersections) -- my reaction

Post by Stev » Sat, 19 Apr 1997 04:00:00

The introduction could do with a little beefing up. Also
there are a few mistakes in the equations - the transformed object
and the blob also. Nothing incredibly serious though.

Anybody who downloaded before monday didnt get the bibliography
(sorry) but its now on the page too.

And that url again -- http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~steve

Yes I know 'tis strange to be commenting on my own paper, but
after only one comment _somebody_ had to get the ball rolling.

Stephen.
--

(remove the underscore for email)

(remove the underscore for email)

Read my thesis (ray object intersections) -- my reaction

Post by Paul » Sat, 19 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Sorry, Steve. Comments do not seem too forthcoming here. It's a great place
to get help and keep an eye out for ideas. I d/l'd your paper, but haven't
had time to read it through.

Paul "Voss" Hinds

Post by Alexander Enzma » Wed, 23 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Yes I know 'tis strange to be commenting on my own paper, but
> after only one comment _somebody_ had to get the ball rolling.

I guess I can make a few comments.

The list of references is a bit dependent on Graphics Gems.  You might
also consider citing the source for the images on p27,28.  I suppose they
might be original but given that the "devil's curve" surface occured as a
result of a transcription error (it was supposed to be a solid of
revolution), It seems unlikely that the same coefficients would be chosen
again.

Given that all of the techniques described are present in existing
tracers, many with source available, you should probably reference any of
them you got information from.  Ones that have almost all features you
describe, distribute source, and come to mind immediately are: POV-Ray,
Rayshade, RTrace, and VORT/ART.

The description of CSG on p68, while perhaps correct, is a terrible way to
do it in a raytracer.  It's quite rare for that approach to beat finding
intersections from front to back and returning as soon as you find one
that isn't removed by the CSG.  (Best to do it in conjunction with your
spatial partitioning routing.)

Xander

1. Read my thesis (ray object intersections) -- my reaction

The introduction could do with a little beefing up. Also
there are a few mistakes in the equations - the transformed object
and the blob also. Nothing incredibly serious though.

Anybody who downloaded before monday didnt get the bibliography
(sorry) but its now on the page too.

And that url again -- http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~steve

Yes I know 'tis strange to be commenting on my own paper, but
after only one comment _somebody_ had to get the ball rolling.

Stephen.
--

(remove the underscore for email)

(remove the underscore for email)

2. Converter needed

3. Read My Thesis! Ray-Object Intersections (Raytracing)

4. Tutorial for Character studio?

5. Writing Metastream files

6. Ray tracing: ray-object intersection

7. Summary of replies to vectorizing ray-object intersection query

8. Vectorizing ray-object intersection calculations

9. Good Reference for Ray-Object Intersection?

10. how to implement ray intersection to detect object

11. ray tracing thesis request