An 'Inside' Bounding Box?

Post by Kuma » Wed, 04 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

Does anybody know of a way to find the largest quadrilateral
area that will fit _inside_ a given polygon?  the polygon may be
concave, but simple.  preferably, the quadrilateral area is
rectangular. ( so that the solution is not simply to look for
four extreme concavities and join them).

any ideas, or references to algorithms,
code, etc. would be most gratifying.

thanks en avance.

Kumar Chalasani   (612)-906-2222

   ------------------- In Brahms I Trust-------------

An 'Inside' Bounding Box?

Post by Joseph O'Rourk » Mon, 09 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>Hi,

>Does anybody know of a way to find the largest quadrilateral
>area that will fit _inside_ a given polygon?  the polygon may be
>concave, but simple.  preferably, the quadrilateral area is
>rectangular. ( so that the solution is not simply to look for
>four extreme concavities and join them).

There has been quite a bit of work on finding largest inscribed
rectangles, with the orientation of the rectangle prescribed.
See below for one recent reference.  I cannot find a citation
for the case where rotation is permitted, but there also has been
some work on this.  It is a difficult problem, and there is no
easy solution.

, author =      "K. Daniels and V. Milenkovic and D. Roth"
, title =       "Finding the maximum area axis-parallel rectangle in a polygon"
, booktitle =   "Proc. 5th Canad. Conf. Comput. Geom."
, address =     "Waterloo, Canada"
, year =        1993
, pages =       "322--327"
Quote:}

1. Reset an EPS Bounding Box's origin?

We think we need some way of moving the Bounding Box on the page.
Advice would be much appreciated.

We produce all the graphics for a lesson in one file using CD.  Then
we export each graphic separately as an EPS file and use those files
throughout the LaTeX file for the lesson.  We print it or convert it
to PDF for the Web and that all works just fine.

However, when we wish to preview an EPS file in GV we often cannot see
the graphic or may see only part of it, because of too-large values
for the position coordinates of the Bounding Box.  Is there some way
of setting the origin of the Bounding Box to 0,0 (say) when it is
exported and/or of converting it once it is an EPS file?  So far, my
attempts have been failures.

2. Everything you EVER DID is STILL STORED IN YOUR PC - cqtgan acbphcbp ihc7ihvup ba4g

3. Finding out a whole scene's bounding box

4. Illustrator updaters 6.0.1?

5. Bounding box - bounding box collision algorithm

6. ***WHO IS AGENT ACTION!?***

7. Good Tutorial Page for LW 5.5

8. BMRT: Displacement inside 'surface'?!

9. What's the quickest way to test is a bounding box is inside the view pyramid?

10. 'Inside Viewvolume Check'

11. Help, I've got a new box and now 3DS R4 won't run