3DFX supported by Direct3D retained mode?

3DFX supported by Direct3D retained mode?

Post by Aaron & Lia Lieblin » Mon, 13 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Subject says it all....when I create a full screen retained mode app the
only drivers I get back when enumerating drivers are called: RAMP
emulation and RGB emulation...could it be because I'm trying to set up
for 640x480x24?  Does the 3dfx support 24 bit color?  If I take out the
restriction that tests for ability to support the desired pixel depth,
HAL is also listed.

Any responses welcome!

Thanks!

Aaron Liebling

3DFX supported by Direct3D retained mode?

Post by james 'Emul' Sharma » Tue, 14 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Subject says it all....when I create a full screen retained mode app the
>only drivers I get back when enumerating drivers are called: RAMP
>emulation and RGB emulation...could it be because I'm trying to set up
>for 640x480x24?  Does the 3dfx support 24 bit color?  If I take out the
>restriction that tests for ability to support the desired pixel depth,
>HAL is also listed.

>Any responses welcome!

Yep,  thats your problem,  the 3dfx (in all current incarnations) only
supports 16bit graphics modes,  if you modify your code to allow for
640x480x26 it whould enum ok.

Remember that if you are using a 3dfx voodoo (as apposed to voodoo rush)
the 3dfx will not be the primary video device.

That is,  you cant call DirectDrawCreate with NULL as the LPGUID paramater,
 you will have to call DirectDrawEnumerate to give you all the hardware
devices installed.  The 3dfx is usualy the second one passed to your
callback function.

1. Direct3D Retained Mode

Can anyone point me at any on-line resources which might help me to gently
transition from OpenGL to Direct3D retained mode? Failing that can anyone
recommend a good book?
First impressions are that there is a very strong (almost one to one)
correspondence. Would anyone care to point out the main differences?

Many thanks
Des

2. free 3d people

3. Newbie Direct3D Retained Mode Question...

4. Moving plugins from 95 to NT4

5. Troubles with RayPick (Direct3D Retained Mode)

6. XRays, where?

7. Direct3d Retained Mode Application

8. Is there a Corel Draw WWW site?

9. Direct3D retained mode (EInvalidOp)

10. errors with Direct3D Retained Mode

11. Drawing lines in Direct3D Retained Mode

12. Direct3D Retained mode docs...

13. what's the difference between immediate mode and retained mode