Real time procedural texture mapping on a Pentium class

Real time procedural texture mapping on a Pentium class

Post by Geoff Howlan » Fri, 27 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Im looking to do some seal time procedural texture
mapping on a Pentium class computer, has anyone
done this?

Ive seen one example of a checkboard but I am
looking to do more of the recreatable psuedo-randomly
seeded procedural tectures, has anyone tried this
on a PC yet?  Can you draw the texture with a
pretty simple algorithm over a full screen?

TIA.

-G. Howland

Real time procedural texture mapping on a Pentium class

Post by Virtual Identit » Sat, 28 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Are you planning to use OpenGL in your software or not?
I have worked exclusively under OpenGL.
OpenGL provides texture mapping.
I have used fractal generation with OpenGL.
Hope to use some photo effects and turbulence as well.

Post by Hans Holten-Lun » Wed, 04 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Im looking to do some seal time procedural texture
> mapping on a Pentium class computer, has anyone
> done this?

Intel has some demo MMX code for this:

http://developer.intel.com/drg/mmx/appnotes/proctex2.htm

--
Hans Holten-Lund, M.Sc.EE       Research Assistant

http://www.it.dtu.dk/~hahl      Technical University of Denmark

Real time procedural texture mapping on a Pentium class

Post by Dave Shreine » Wed, 04 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

   There's some demos of procedural texturing on SGI's OpenGL
website.  Since OpenGL essientially only lets you specify pixels
as your texture, you generally need to generate the texture
procedurally in the framebuffer or pixmap, and then download
that as a texture.  Check out

                                http://www.sgi.com/Technology/OpenGL/#ocm

specifically the texturing section.

Thanx,
Dave

   Silicon Graphics, Inc.                            (650) 933-4899

Post by Geoff Howlan » Sat, 07 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Are you planning to use OpenGL in your software or not?
> I have worked exclusively under OpenGL.
> OpenGL provides texture mapping.
> I have used fractal generation with OpenGL.
> Hope to use some photo effects and turbulence as well.

  Yes I am planning on using OpenGL to do this, so far
what Ive found out is that I should make me textures
procedurally into a bitmap and then just draw with the
bitmap on a texture like a bitmap I loaded.

Is there a way to actually make OpenGL blit the
texture directly using the procedure?

-G. Howland

Real time procedural texture mapping on a Pentium class

Post by Jon Lee » Sun, 08 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>  Yes I am planning on using OpenGL to do this, so far
>what Ive found out is that I should make me textures
>procedurally into a bitmap and then just draw with the
>bitmap on a texture like a bitmap I loaded.

>Is there a way to actually make OpenGL blit the
>texture directly using the procedure?

    You can construct procedural textures using multipass methods; see for
example the notes from the SIGGRAPH '97 "Programming with OpenGL: Advanced
Rendering" course, at

        http://www.sgi.com/Technology/OpenGL/advanced97/notes/notes.html

    Jon Leech
    Silicon Graphics

Post by Christoph Riede » Tue, 10 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> > Are you planning to use OpenGL in your software or not?
> > I have worked exclusively under OpenGL.
> > OpenGL provides texture mapping.
> > I have used fractal generation with OpenGL.
> > Hope to use some photo effects and turbulence as well.

>   Yes I am planning on using OpenGL to do this, so far
> what Ive found out is that I should make me textures
> procedurally into a bitmap and then just draw with the
> bitmap on a texture like a bitmap I loaded.

> Is there a way to actually make OpenGL blit the
> texture directly using the procedure?

I think MESA has such a extension.

Christoph

1. Real time procedural texture mapping on a Pentium class

Im looking to do some seal time procedural texture
mapping on a Pentium class computer, has anyone
done this?

Ive seen one example of a checkboard but I am
looking to do more of the recreatable psuedo-randomly
seeded procedural tectures, has anyone tried this
on a PC yet?  Can you draw the texture with a
pretty simple algorithm over a full screen?

TIA.

-G. Howland

2. How do I crop a picture into an oval with feathered edges in PSP?

3. Real-time texture mapping help needed.

4. source for flc needed

5. Real time texture mapping in 3DS4 ?

7. Real time texture mapping algorithm

8. Strange Stripe on Detonator > 6.50

9. Perspective Texture Mapping in Real Time

10. Texture mapping a sphere in real-time : PC SOURCE

11. Real-time texture-mapping perspective correction

12. Real time texture mapping problem