Bones

Post by Ifman » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:54:19

Does anyone know where I can find a "GOOD" tutorial online for implementing
bone animation for a model.  Looking primarily for the basic concepts and
ideas behind real time bone animation, as in for games or demos.  The more
it slants toward OpenGL the better, but that isn't necessary....

Thanks in advance
Ifman1

Bones

Post by Cronus3 » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:58:33

Quote:> Does anyone know where I can find a "GOOD" tutorial online for
implementing
> bone animation for a model.  Looking primarily for the basic concepts and
> ideas behind real time bone animation, as in for games or demos.  The more
> it slants toward OpenGL the better, but that isn't necessary....

Real time Rendering 2nd Ed. has a section on vertex blending theory.  Game
Programming Gems I has a couple essays on it as well.  I would also look
up the papers by Jeff Lander that he wrote for game developer magazine.  He
did a few on character animation.  You can find them on his site
http://www.darwin3d.com/gamedev.htm.  Check the years 1998-99 for the
animation ones IIRC.  And finally, another good paper on vertex blending is
DirectX 8.0: Enhancing Real-Time Character Animation with Matrix Palette
Skinning and Vertex Shaders avaliable at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/06/Matrix/

Bones

Post by Ifman » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:05:42

Cool, thanks for all the suggestions...

> > Does anyone know where I can find a "GOOD" tutorial online for
> implementing
> > bone animation for a model.  Looking primarily for the basic concepts
and
> > ideas behind real time bone animation, as in for games or demos.  The
more
> > it slants toward OpenGL the better, but that isn't necessary....

> Real time Rendering 2nd Ed. has a section on vertex blending theory.  Game
> Programming Gems I has a couple essays on it as well.  I would also look
> up the papers by Jeff Lander that he wrote for game developer magazine.
He
> did a few on character animation.  You can find them on his site
> http://www.darwin3d.com/gamedev.htm.  Check the years 1998-99 for the
> animation ones IIRC.  And finally, another good paper on vertex blending
is
> DirectX 8.0: Enhancing Real-Time Character Animation with Matrix Palette
> Skinning and Vertex Shaders avaliable at
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/06/Matrix/

1. Bones, bones, bones, and MORE BONES

I understand the basic theory behind it, but for crying out loud, can't
somebody post a decent tutorial on it....

yeah, I know, Milkshape, DirectX SDK skinned mesh example...been there, done
that....

First of all, a simple example to start out with would be great. i.e.....a
piece of pipe with 2 bones....

in my www search for info and tutorials, there's been a horrid lack of info
or docs on how to deal with it on the programming end in Directx, for
example the DirectX docs on ID3DXSkinMesh is the most useless I've ever
seen, I would like do skeletal animation with it but as I said the docs are
useless, not to mention the overkill skinnedmesh example, which is nice to
look at but completely non-instructive...

ok, let me put it in nutshell where I need help...
(non-programming side)
1) Overview of how to create / import skeleton and skin from say, 3D Max 4
(that is, to import to directx mesh, and when I say directx I mean in a way
that exports all the bone and weight info, not just exporting a directx mesh
file, a monkey can do that)

(programming side)
(and no, the skinnedmesh example is useless as far as being instructive on
how to do this)
1) Load skinned mesh
2) load skeleton (or combine this with step (1)
3) assign the appropriate bone influence and weights in
the skinned mesh
4) big bonus: how to drive and animate skeleton/mesh thru

2. Help Me!!! (viewers)

3. BONES BONES AND BONES?? NEED HELP

4. (no suject given -- from Hong Guan)

5. Bones Pro and deformation while rotating bones

6. How to add a path to a scene graph?

7. Good Bones + Bones PRO tutorial.

8. New Rhino 3D Tutorial

9. parenting bones to bones ?

10. (de)activate all bones, split bones LScripts...

11. Them Bones Them Bones...

12. using bones in bones?