Splitting polygons

Post by Bjarni Ragnarsso » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi everyone.  Hope you can help me here.

I looking for an algorithm and/or source code (C/C++) to split arbitary
polygons (2D).
Splitting some types of polygons (convex I think it's called) is not to
complicated, but the plot thikkens when you need to split polygons of
any shape into equally (or somewhere close to equally) large polygons.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
Bjarni Ragnarsson

Splitting polygons

Post by Piyush Kuma » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi everyone.  Hope you can help me here.

>I looking for an algorithm and/or source code (C/C++) to split arbitary
>polygons (2D).
>Splitting some types of polygons (convex I think it's called) is not to
>complicated, but the plot thikkens when you need to split polygons of
>any shape into equally (or somewhere close to equally) large polygons.

Read the discussion on the Triangulation of concave polygons
sometime before in the newsgroup. If what you are looking is
breaking a polygon in convex polygons, I dont know of any
code. Literature abounds and can be found in the many textbooks
of computational geometry at :

http://compgeom.cs.uiuc.edu/~jeffe/compgeom/books.html#textbooks

If the decomposition you are looking for is a triangulation, quadrangulation
, trapezoidation etc, you can pick the pointer to the code from :

http://compgeom.cs.uiuc.edu/~jeffe/compgeom/code.html#poly

Hope this helps,
--Piyush

1. Splitting polygons

I'm looking for an algorithm to split an abitrary polygon defined in a list of vertices, into a particular number of smaller polygons. The alogrithm should do this accidental, so that two results are different. The little polygons in the result can
be similar, but should not be the same.

Algorithms, articles or ideas would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Andrea Grammm

2. FS:CALCOMP DRAWING BOARD II!!

3. need help Splitting polygons