developing realtime skeletal deformation

developing realtime skeletal deformation

Post by Asshen Shuga » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 23:27:36

Hello

I'm currently creating a skeletel deformation app for humanoid meshes (.obj)
You can find it at : http://users.pandora.be/eric.garrein
I used the openGL API and Visual C++ 6
It currently runs at 80-85 FPS on PIII-667 with TNT2 and win98SE
And 60 FPS on win2000
What causes this huge framecount difference ?

I would like to export the animations and have a class to load the model and
animations for use in games. What would you people suggest : frame animation
or realtime skeletal animation export. I need to get fastest possible
framerate (use in games).
I noticed that while realtime deforming the mesh, the framerate lowers by
about 5-10 frames per second...
I think I really need to speed up the app !!!
I use an Unreal mesh for testing which has 500 faces, when I draw 3 times
the same mesh on-screen the framerate plunges from 60 fps to 30 fps on
win2000. If I would like to use this in games, then this really has to be
speed up !!!

Or just reply here

Thanks very very much

Asshen Shugar

developing realtime skeletal deformation

Post by Neil McLaughl » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 01:23:02

You might try installing the latest TNT2 driver for Win2000, which
you'll find on the TNT website.

Faster cards are becoming standard - you may as well be on par with a
PSX2 or XBox so get  a GeForce2 - I have a 32 M and it's amazing, but
the 64M  is available now.

I tried your website but (in Netsacpe4.73)  it was empty.

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 14:27:36 GMT, "Asshen Shugar"

>Hello

>I'm currently creating a skeletel deformation app for humanoid meshes (.obj)
>You can find it at : http://users.pandora.be/eric.garrein
>I used the openGL API and Visual C++ 6
>It currently runs at 80-85 FPS on PIII-667 with TNT2 and win98SE
>And 60 FPS on win2000
>What causes this huge framecount difference ?

>I would like to export the animations and have a class to load the model and
>animations for use in games. What would you people suggest : frame animation
>or realtime skeletal animation export. I need to get fastest possible
>framerate (use in games).
>I noticed that while realtime deforming the mesh, the framerate lowers by
>about 5-10 frames per second...
>I think I really need to speed up the app !!!
>I use an Unreal mesh for testing which has 500 faces, when I draw 3 times
>the same mesh on-screen the framerate plunges from 60 fps to 30 fps on
>win2000. If I would like to use this in games, then this really has to be
>speed up !!!

>Or just reply here

>Thanks very very much

>Asshen Shugar

developing realtime skeletal deformation

Post by M?sej » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 01:42:08

Try also to install the required AGP-drivers for your mainboard. I have
installed the VIA-AGP Drivers v4.04 for my Epox 7KXA board and frame rates
suddenly doubled!!! (Under Win2K)

Mathias

developing realtime skeletal deformation

Post by Asshen Shuga » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 09:05:58

I have latest win2k nvidia drivers 631 if I remember correctly, and I also
have latest AGPVIA stuff...
Must be that win2k just renders much slower than win 98 ???

> Hello

> I'm currently creating a skeletel deformation app for humanoid meshes
(.obj)
> You can find it at : http://users.pandora.be/eric.garrein
> I used the openGL API and Visual C++ 6
> It currently runs at 80-85 FPS on PIII-667 with TNT2 and win98SE
> And 60 FPS on win2000
> What causes this huge framecount difference ?

> I would like to export the animations and have a class to load the model
and
> animations for use in games. What would you people suggest : frame
animation
> or realtime skeletal animation export. I need to get fastest possible
> framerate (use in games).
> I noticed that while realtime deforming the mesh, the framerate lowers by
> about 5-10 frames per second...
> I think I really need to speed up the app !!!
> I use an Unreal mesh for testing which has 500 faces, when I draw 3 times
> the same mesh on-screen the framerate plunges from 60 fps to 30 fps on
> win2000. If I would like to use this in games, then this really has to be
> speed up !!!

> Or just reply here

> Thanks very very much

> Asshen Shugar

developing realtime skeletal deformation

Post by Neil McLaughl » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 23:41:07

To be honest, I was running my GL accelerated app
on Win95/NT and 98 no problem, and I found Win2000
reliable like NT but noticably slower.  Also, every once in awhile
(6 hours or so) it will pause and churn away for a long 10 seconds
or so and I can't even move the mouse or type a key.  I run a degrag
every night too.   (350Mhz /GeForce2).

My Athalon 1.2 is on the way but faster computers shouldn't be the
solution to OS slowdowns.   You'd think Microsoft would have improved
or optimized NT so that it would be faster in 2000 than 1995's NT 4.0,
but if anything it's slower.

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 00:05:58 GMT, "Asshen Shugar"

>I have latest win2k nvidia drivers 631 if I remember correctly, and I also
>have latest AGPVIA stuff...
>Must be that win2k just renders much slower than win 98 ???

>> Hello

>> I'm currently creating a skeletel deformation app for humanoid meshes
>(.obj)
>> You can find it at : http://users.pandora.be/eric.garrein
>> I used the openGL API and Visual C++ 6
>> It currently runs at 80-85 FPS on PIII-667 with TNT2 and win98SE
>> And 60 FPS on win2000
>> What causes this huge framecount difference ?

>> I would like to export the animations and have a class to load the model
>and
>> animations for use in games. What would you people suggest : frame
>animation
>> or realtime skeletal animation export. I need to get fastest possible
>> framerate (use in games).
>> I noticed that while realtime deforming the mesh, the framerate lowers by
>> about 5-10 frames per second...
>> I think I really need to speed up the app !!!
>> I use an Unreal mesh for testing which has 500 faces, when I draw 3 times
>> the same mesh on-screen the framerate plunges from 60 fps to 30 fps on
>> win2000. If I would like to use this in games, then this really has to be
>> speed up !!!

>> Or just reply here

>> Thanks very very much

>> Asshen Shugar

developing realtime skeletal deformation

Post by Asshen Shuga » Sat, 13 Jan 2001 20:52:28

I found the problem !!!
The nVidia Detonator 3 drivers v.631 have a Win2000 bug !!!
If V-Sync is enabled, the framerate cannot exceed 60FPS !!!
You have to turn off V-Sync in the openGL settings Tab...

Greetings
Asshen Shugar

Post by Hans-Bernhard Broeke » Sun, 14 Jan 2001 00:16:50

> I found the problem !!!
> The nVidia Detonator 3 drivers v.631 have a Win2000 bug !!!
> If V-Sync is enabled, the framerate cannot exceed 60FPS !!!

That's expected behaviour of v-synch iff your active videomode's
horizontal frequency happens to be 60 Hz.

developing realtime skeletal deformation

Post by Asshen Shuga » Sun, 14 Jan 2001 03:58:59

LOL; no my active refresh rate is 85 Hz, you can find a fix for the driver
bug on a couple of sites...
And it definitly made a huge difference!
My framerate went from 60 fps to 124 fps, so I don't really think...

> > I found the problem !!!
> > The nVidia Detonator 3 drivers v.631 have a Win2000 bug !!!
> > If V-Sync is enabled, the framerate cannot exceed 60FPS !!!

> That's expected behaviour of v-synch iff your active videomode's
> horizontal frequency happens to be 60 Hz.

> --

> Even if all the snow were burnt, ashes would remain.

1. developing realtime skeletal deformation

[...]

2. perspective projection of a line

3. Developing skeletal deformation app

4. Integrating through surfaces and solids

5. Skeletal deformation?

6. difficulty with gnuplot

7. Skeletal deformation tools

8. Special Issue on Information Visualization, CG&A July 1997

9. Morph Targets to Skeletal Deformation

10. Skeletal animation with POV?

11. Wanted: Skeletal Models

12. skeletal shape -- spiral.jpg

13. skeletal shape - spiral.jpg