Establishing single NURBS surface

Post by Shank » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:12:51

Hello All,
   I am working on surface reconstruction of scattered 3d point
clouds. I am facing a problem in establishing a single NURBS Surface
from a set of 3 NURBS Patches. To visualize my scenario, take a
triangle and join the centroid to each of the edges by a line to
obtain three quadrilateral patches. Now joining ANY two surface
patches into one single NURBS patch results in 2 NURBS Patches from an
initial 3, with the new patch sharing a common edge along 2 different
edges of the other patch. Now how do I join these two patches into one
single NURBS Patch? (as one patch has both its u and v parameters(in
parametric space) shared with v parameter of the other patch)
Can anybody help me in this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Shankar

Establishing single NURBS surface

Post by Just d' FAQ » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 01:01:18

Quote:>   I am working on surface reconstruction of scattered 3d point
>clouds. I am facing a problem in establishing a single NURBS Surface
>from a set of 3 NURBS Patches. To visualize my scenario, take a
>triangle and join the centroid to each of the edges by a line to
>obtain three quadrilateral patches. Now joining ANY two surface
>patches into one single NURBS patch results in 2 NURBS Patches from an
>initial 3, with the new patch sharing a common edge along 2 different
>edges of the other patch. Now how do I join these two patches into one
>single NURBS Patch? (as one patch has both its u and v parameters(in
>parametric space) shared with v parameter of the other patch)

You have given a convincing demonstration that a suggests merger will
not be possible in tensor product form. If your application allows,
try a triangular patch.