Elision, Culling, Clipping, and Occlusion

Elision, Culling, Clipping, and Occlusion

Post by Robert M. Templeto » Thu, 09 Oct 1997 04:00:00

    Elision begot Culling who begot Clipping.  Clipping begot Occlusion...
Sorry, thought I was quoting the Bible or something ;).

First, I've heard about several methods of Elision - that is removing those
complete objects which reside completely outside of the view frustrum by
means of a bounding volume of sorts - and would like to know what you guys
think is the best one for a real-time 3D engine (if any).

Last, anyone know where information on "object/facet removal via occlusion"
can be found.  This deals with removing facets or objects that are
completely hidden behind another facet or object (thereby unseen in final
rendering).

Take it easy,

Bob Templeton

Elision, Culling, Clipping, and Occlusion

Post by Jens Ag » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>>Last, anyone know where information on "object/facet removal via occlusion"
>>can be found.  This deals with removing facets or objects that are
>>completely hidden behind another facet or object (thereby unseen in final
>>rendering).

Take a look at this paper that was presented at SIGGRAPH'97:
 http://www.cs.unc.edu/~zhangh/res_idx.html

It is the best _general_ occlusion culling algorithm for _dynamic_
environments I have seen around (but I hope to have it beat soon :-).
The paper has several references to other papers dealing with occlusion
culling.

I also know that both HP and SGI are looking at implementing hardware
support for occlusion culling (which I think is the future).

Hope this helps
--
Jens Agby

Chalmers University of Technology  |  Prosolvia Clarus
http://www.dtek.chalmers.se        |  http://www.clarus.se

1. Hardware Support for Occlusion Culling?

Any idea when hardware support for occlusion culling will become
available on SGI platforms. Some other vendors are talking about
supporting this in thier hardware.

This could become a driving force in the area of Large Scale Database
visualization. (OpenGL-Optimizer)

--
Bill McGarry  SW-Engineer          Phone:(206)865-5064 FAX:(206)865-2628
Boeing Commercial Airplane Company Org: 6-6C13 , M/S 7J-79

2. Distorted text with copyrect..

3. Where to get Occlusion Culling Tutorials?

4. Max in corporate presentations

5. Occlusion culling source?

6. Intergraph vs 320 or 540's?

7. occlusion culling

8. problems with Mesa and Vert. arrays

9. Help w/ occlusion culling/portal algorithm

10. Visibility algorithms/Occlusion culling in dense polyhedral environments.

11. Occlusion Culling

12. occlusion culling using octrees

13. NV_OCCLUSION_QUERY for occlusion culling