how to make 3d fonts from truetype fonts

how to make 3d fonts from truetype fonts

Post by mtfa » Sat, 10 Mar 2001 08:51:17

    Hi! I am having real problems to find info on this subject. Do you know
if there is any source code/tutorial/library on the net to make 3d fonts
from truetype font descriptions? If I have to made on my own, what
methodology would you follow? The hardest part to me is creating triangle
lists from the vertices I already have. Please point me in the right
direction to do this,
any help would be really appreciated.

how to make 3d fonts from truetype fonts

Post by Pierre Allie » Sat, 10 Mar 2001 10:02:53

Here is my problem: I search a fast solution to obtain
the *best* triangulation according to only one criteria,
i.e. I want to minimize the dispersion of valence-6
vertices around each vertex of the final triangulation.

Is there a link on the web in order to do that please ?

any help would be _very_ appreciate, a cc by email too.
--
Pierre Alliez
University of Southern California

Last OpenGL tutorial -> http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/glexport.asp

Post by Alexandre Cunh » Sat, 10 Mar 2001 16:10:56

> Here is my problem: I search a fast solution to obtain
> the *best* triangulation according to only one criteria,
> i.e. I want to minimize the dispersion of valence-6
> vertices around each vertex of the final triangulation.

> Is there a link on the web in order to do that please ?

> any help would be _very_ appreciate, a cc by email too.
> --
> Pierre Alliez
> University of Southern California

> Last OpenGL tutorial -> http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/glexport.asp

you can start taking a look at

  author =       "William H. Frey and David A. Field",
  title =        "Mesh Relaxation: A New Technique for Improving
Triangulations",
  journal =      "International Journal on Numerical Methods in
Engineering",
  year =         "1991",
  volume =       "31",
  pages =        "1121-1133",
  annote =          "mesh improvement, edge swaping, degree regularization",

Quote:}

basically, his algorithm is to loop over the edges of a given triangular
mesh and for each one performs a swap if it would collectively increase the
regularity of the nodes belonging to the triangles sharing that edge.
besides swapping you could also perform other topological operations not
mentioned on the paper and get even better meshes wrt node degree (or
valence, if you will) uniformity. an edge based data structure will do all
good here.

with this simple O(n) algorithm and depending on the algorithm used to
generate the triangular mesh, you can achieve around 80%-85% of 6-degree
nodes and eliminate, most of the time, 4- and 8-degree nodes from the mesh.
the articles below are also on this same line.

i am curious: why you need a predominat 6-degree mesh ? what is it used for
?

- alex.

  author =       "Edwin Boender",
  title =        "Reliable Delaunay-Based Mesh Generation and Mesh
                  Improvement",
  journal =      "Communications in Numerical Methods in Engineering",
  year =         "1994",
  volume =       "10",
  pages =        "773-783",
  annote =      "describes an improvement over Frey's regularization
algorithm"

}

  author =       {Canann, S. A., S. N. Muthukrishnan and R. K. Phillips},
  title =               {Topological Refinement Procedures for Triangular Finite Element
Meshes},
  journal =      {Engineering with Computers},
  year =                {1996},
  volume =       {12},
  pages =        {243-255},
  month =        {December},
  annote =       {
        This paper presents a topological approach to improve the quality of
unstructured triangular finite element meshes. Topological improvement
procedures are presented both for elements that are interior to the mesh
and for elements connected to the boundary. Optimal ordering of the
topology improvement operations and their efficient implementation is also
discussed. Several example meshes are included to demonstrate the
effectiveness of the approach in improving element quality in a finite
element mesh.}

Quote:}

1. 3D fonts, 3D fonts from 2D fonts, common fonts data

Hi everybody,

i'd like to use some fonts in 3D for a logo, for that i
have several questions:

1.
Can i download 3D fonts somewhere?  (And info or example
code how to render the data in OpenGL)?

2.
Can i generate 3D fonts from 2D fonts?
Like give them a depth and smooth the edges (45 degree)?
This should be a common algorithm, has anybody done that?

Regards,
Torsten.

2. Quick Polygon-filling

3. Over 1100 TrueType fonts at the Font Empire

4. Directx and BCB

5. App to convert Win TrueType Font to Mac TrueType

6. Variety Confirms Newtek on chopping block.

7. fonts FONTS fonts

8. Slide presentation

9. fonts fonts fonts!

10. Shrinking bitmapped fonts (TeX PK font files to Sun font files)

11. ned help converting TrueType Font to PostScript in C

12. truetype font to bezier conversion

13. TrueType Fonts