Need seriuos advice (AI in graphics)

Post by Denis V. Mikhailitsk » Wed, 17 Oct 2001 02:02:51

Hello!

I'm looking for some ways of use known AI's methods in field of computer
graphics (particulary in 3D). Does anybody have any ideas. I'll be glad to
hear any of them. Thank you.

Best wishes, Denis

Post by Alexander Voroni » Wed, 17 Oct 2001 16:07:50

> Hello!

> I'm looking for some ways of use known AI's methods in field of computer
> graphics (particulary in 3D). Does anybody have any ideas. I'll be glad to
> hear any of them. Thank you.

Hi! What do you mean about "AI in computer graphics"? Thinking vertices?
Selfproducing polygons? :) Please be a bit concrete!

Alexander Voronin

Post by Denis V. Mikhailitsk » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 01:03:20

> > Hello!

> > I'm looking for some ways of use known AI's methods in field of computer
> > graphics (particulary in 3D). Does anybody have any ideas. I'll be glad
> > hear any of them. Thank you.

> Hi! What do you mean about "AI in computer graphics"? Thinking vertices?
> Selfproducing polygons? :) Please be a bit concrete!

I don't know yet :) Maybe usage of some AI methods for optimizing such
complex (in meaning of time) algorithms as ray tracing, photon mapping,
radiosity and so on.

Best wishes, Denis.

Post by Denis V. Mikhailitsk » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 01:07:25

> > Hello!

> > I'm looking for some ways of use known AI's methods in field of computer
> > graphics (particulary in 3D). Does anybody have any ideas. I'll be glad
> > hear any of them. Thank you.

> Hi! What do you mean about "AI in computer graphics"? Thinking vertices?
> Selfproducing polygons? :) Please be a bit concrete!

I don't know yet :) Maybe usage of some AI methods for optimizing such
complex (in meaning of time) algorithms as ray tracing, photon mapping,
radiosity and so on.

Best wishes, Denis Mikhailitsky

Post by Alexander Voroni » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 16:12:16

> I don't know yet :) Maybe usage of some AI methods for optimizing such
> complex (in meaning of time) algorithms as ray tracing, photon mapping,
> radiosity and so on.

I dont even hear about ideas like this, and I like it. But not sure this
is posible... Im interesting in fast 3D algorithms too, but cant imagine
what kind of AI could compute ALL THIS a bit faster than real mathematic
optimization...

Alexander Voronin

Need seriuos advice (AI in graphics)

Post by Denis V. Mikhailitsk » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 16:48:39

Quote:> > I don't know yet :) Maybe usage of some AI methods for optimizing such
> > complex (in meaning of time) algorithms as ray tracing, photon mapping,
> > radiosity and so on.

> I dont even hear about ideas like this, and I like it. But not sure this
> is posible... Im interesting in fast 3D algorithms too, but cant imagine
> what kind of AI could compute ALL THIS a bit faster than real mathematic
> optimization...

Maybe it's possible to use some of "intellectual" methods for detecting
similar or even not changing (from frame to frame) parts of scene and then
use these results for optimization. Or maybe it makes sense to build
knowledge base with physical, optical,... particular qualities of the scene
and the use this information for optimization above methods. What do you
think about this?

Best wishes, Denis Mikahilitsky.

Post by Alexander Voroni » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 17:07:08

> Maybe it's possible to use some of "intellectual" methods for detecting
> similar or even not changing (from frame to frame) parts of scene and then
> use these results for optimization. Or maybe it makes sense to build
> knowledge base with physical, optical,... particular qualities of the scene
> and the use this information for optimization above methods. What do you
> think about this?

As I understanding - outside world do not have any intellect at all and
could be described by matematical equations (some time simple, some time
complicate). And as for me - thats illogical to use AI for describing
this world. And outside world is mostly has expected behaviour...
Explaining - YES, describing - NO! Thats IMHO... :)

Alexander Voronin

Post by Ian Blume » Fri, 19 Oct 2001 01:16:37

> > Maybe it's possible to use some of "intellectual" methods for detecting
> > similar or even not changing (from frame to frame) parts of scene and
> > then use these results for optimization. Or maybe it makes sense to
> > build knowledge base with physical, optical,... particular qualities
> > of the scene and the use this information for optimization above
> > methods.
> > What do you think about this?

> As I understanding - outside world do not have any intellect at all and
> could be described by matematical equations (some time simple, some time
> complicate). And as for me - thats illogical to use AI for describing
> this world. And outside world is mostly has expected behaviour...
> Explaining - YES, describing - NO! Thats IMHO... :)

I think Denis was describing the use of 'derived AI techniques' to help
speed up the graphics process.  But, I think that using AI in itself will
not help performance in terms of graphics.  Alex, I believe your opinion,
that *physical* world can be described, adequately, via mathematical
relations.  And those mathematical relationships are always viable targets
for optimization (as in making approximations, etc...).  As for using
derived AI techniques, yes I can see there are ways/ideas within AI that
will help the process, but most of those ideas are, IMHO, already present in
most graphics applications.

Having said that, I do like the idea of building a knowledge base, and using
that as some sort of expert system to help make decisions about
rendering/composition.  However, what this knowledge base would entail is
kinda out of my grasp as of this moment.

cheers,
Ian.