Direct3D Immediate Mode tutorial

Post by Tiziano Sardo » Thu, 05 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi,
I'm searching a good Direct3D IM tutorial freely available on the net;
where I can found this type of docs?
Thanks in advance...
Bye
TiZ

Direct3D Immediate Mode tutorial

Post by Matt Setze » Fri, 06 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,
> I'm searching a good Direct3D IM tutorial freely available on the net;
> where I can found this type of docs?
> Thanks in advance...
> Bye
> TiZ

        http://www.wksoftware.com/publications/d3dim.html
        http://www.microsoft.com/directx/dxp/indepth/imtutor.htm

Matt Setzer

Post by Scott Case » Thu, 26 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,
> I'm searching a good Direct3D IM tutorial freely available on the net;
> where I can found this type of docs?
> Thanks in advance...
> Bye
> TiZ

Yeah, I am looking for some information also.  The documentation that
came with Directx 3 is a little sketchy, and all of the books I have
come across are all for Retained mode.  A documented example would be
nice!  Also if there is a book published on this that would help too.
Will the documentaion with DX 5 have more meat?

Direct3D Immediate Mode tutorial

Post by Gavin Clayto » Fri, 27 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Here's an article I grabbed some time ago. I can't remember where I found
it, so it's probably worth getting in touch with the author to see if he's
updated the tutorial.

I hope it helps anyone interested in Immediate Mode.

Gavin Clayton.

> > Hi,
> > I'm searching a good Direct3D IM tutorial freely available on the net;
> > where I can found this type of docs?
> > Thanks in advance...
> > Bye
> > TiZ
> Yeah, I am looking for some information also.  The documentation that
> came with Directx 3 is a little sketchy, and all of the books I have
> come across are all for Retained mode.  A documented example would be
> nice!  Also if there is a book published on this that would help too.
> Will the documentaion with DX 5 have more meat?

begin 600 d3dimguide.htm
<uuencoded_portion_removed>

`
end

Direct3D Immediate Mode tutorial

Post by Thor Intrepi » Fri, 27 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Thanks for the post. It is a o whole lot more informative that
Microsoft's.  This guy should write a book!
Do you know if Dx5 will be any better.  I am hoping that with the news
that Abrash is now at Microsoft, the updated version of D3D will get a
face lift with some decent documnetation.

Thanks Again

THE MIGHTY THOR

Post by David C » Sun, 06 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Thanks for the post. It is a o whole lot more informative that
> Microsoft's.  This guy should write a book!
> Do you know if Dx5 will be any better.  I am hoping that with the news
> that Abrash is now at Microsoft, the updated version of D3D will get a
> face lift with some decent documnetation.

> Thanks Again

> THE MIGHTY THOR

Whoops, I think my newsreader dropped the post that was "more
informative than Microsoft" Could someone re-post it or give me a quick
summary? This in a subject I'm very interested in right now. Thanks!
--
/----------------------------------\
|                                  |

Post by Bruce A. Lew » Mon, 07 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>> Thanks for the post. It is a o whole lot more informative that
>> Microsoft's.  This guy should write a book!
>> Do you know if Dx5 will be any better.  I am hoping that with the news
>> that Abrash is now at Microsoft, the updated version of D3D will get a
>> face lift with some decent documnetation.

>> Thanks Again

>> THE MIGHTY THOR
>Whoops, I think my newsreader dropped the post that was "more
>informative than Microsoft" Could someone re-post it or give me a quick
>summary? This in a subject I'm very interested in right now. Thanks!
>--
>/----------------------------------\
>|                                  |
>|     David C. (aka Pensoran)      |
>|                                  |
>|----------------------------------|
>| http://www.nameless.com/DAV-eed/ |
>\----------------------------------/

Hi David,

There's no need to post the whole thing. You can get it at this URL
with your web browser:

http://www.wksoftware.com/publications/d3dim.html

This is Brian Hook's WK Software web site which is still active for
"informational" purposes since he now works for Id software and is
running WK Software anymore.

Cheers,
Bruce

Direct3D Immediate Mode tutorial

Post by Roger Nels » Tue, 08 Jul 1997 04:00:00

said...

Quote:

> Hi David,

> There's no need to post the whole thing. You can get it at this URL
> with your web browser:

> http://www.wksoftware.com/publications/d3dim.html

> This is Brian Hook's WK Software web site which is still active for
> "informational" purposes since he now works for Id software and is
> running WK Software anymore.

> Cheers,
> Bruce

I think Brian did a good job.  I don't think he over does it when he
names every section of his tutorial by "The Hell of"..

These last few days, I've been talking to a group of friends at Microsoft
about Direct3D.
I started by saying "You know, in Direct3D IM, you don't make functions
calls to do things : You instead batch all commands in a variable-length
buffer called "execute buffer"."  To which I got response " W H A T ! A R
E   T H E Y   N U T S!".